U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 03:00 PM

3,279 posts, read 3,771,429 times

Advertisements

I think I've been duped.

Bought a car today private sale, paid cash. Got title, but it's not in the name of the one who sold it and the owner on the paper is 2 hours away in terms of address and I have no contact information. They wrote a bill of sale but aren't answering their phone. We know where they are staying and have physical possession of the car, but no proof of sale, just the title.

Got paperwork for a bonded title. Is that the route I should pursue, or should I proceed with police involvement? Am I totally up the river? Be honest--was this purchase beyond stupid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 04:06 PM

8,222 posts, read 6,048,440 times
There are legit reasons as to why things could have been done like that.. But, your time to ask questions would have been BEFORE you gave them money.

If they weren't legally able to sell the car.. A bonded title really doesn't do you any good.

The level of dumbness probably depends on the outcome. It wasn't necessarily a shining moment.. But.. Perhaps not a complete disaster, either

Now.. The next question might help define it better.. "Private sale".. Does the word "Craigslist" come into play at any point?

Old 11-24-2014, 04:30 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,987,967 times
As long as the Title is signed off by the same name person and Dated just go and register into your name.

You claim the purchase price at the DMV for any sales tax and NO Sales receipt will be required. Now if you were to claim a ridiculous low price compared to the avg yr of the car a RED flag would pop up and they would require a sales receipt.

Could be the person you bought the car from purchased it from the person on the Title for a certain price and then RE sold it at a higher price to you.

There was a time decades ago I would purchase a car from a Private party.....clean it up....new tires...tune up and oil change..... same as any used car lot would normally do on many trade ins. I made good money for my time invested.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:56 PM

One detail I forgot--the signature was by the previous owner, not the one who sold it, and it was 2 years ago. The office lady was mumbling something about a $25 per month fee for failure to change the title over quickly. I did get paperwork for filing a bonded title.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:11 PM

2,025 posts, read 2,763,525 times
Ahh,a car flipper. This is technically an illegal transaction, not sure if a bonded title is really what you need. The sellers didnt get the car title in their name to avoid the sales tax.
I would probably go in with the title, play dumb, otherwise it could get sticky.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:17 PM

13,722 posts, read 8,711,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
Ahh,a car flipper. This is technically an illegal transaction, not sure if a bonded title is really what you need. The sellers didnt get the car title in their name to avoid the sales tax.
And they didnít want to wait, and who knows what else. It takes as long as a month around here. The OP seems to be knowledgeable. The question is why take a chance like this?

Old 11-24-2014, 06:41 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,162,475 times
If the name on the title signed the tile then it might be ok. Basically the person you bought from never got a title perhaps to avoid taxes on sale. Two years tho seems long to be able to renew license plates and not get title changed.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:52 PM

9,310 posts, read 25,707,774 times
WOW, I SMELL CA CA . . .

The seller "owned" the vehicle for two years and never processed the title?

What else did he "forget" to do? Did he register the vehicle during those two years? . . . I bet not.

Did he have insurance on the vehicle for those two years? . . . I bet not.

Personally, ShyGuy . . . I would contact the POLICE asap.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:08 PM

I appreciate the replies. Am I correct in thinking that unless I get lucky "playing dumb," that I paid cash & have no bill of sale means, absent some intervening, I'm done?

Old 11-24-2014, 09:29 PM

13,722 posts, read 8,711,217 times
It is beyond title at this point. What do you know about this car? Where has it been? Can you establish chain of ownership? What if it was used in a crime?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive