Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 08:17 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,016,915 times

Advertisements

I'm currently being underpaid as entry level auto technician for acura. The service director at Acura low balled me and stupidly I agreed because I was not aware at that time of what I should have been paid.

However I will be leaving Acura soon and relocating to another state. I'm planning in dec of this year to relocate to Houston TX Dallas TX, austin TX or Seattle washington,

I do not want to make the same mistake so I figured I would ask the more experience technician/former service managers etc. on this forum exactly I should be getting paid with this type of skillset:

Replace spark plugs, change automatic transmission filters and fluid, Flush the transmission system, Replace belts and hoses, Service crankcase ventilation system, Flush coolant, diagnose/replace master cylinder/diagnose replace brake booster/Replace wheel cylinder, replace brake calipers, Measure and resurface rotors, adjust parking brakes, diagnose and repair problems related to springs, struts, control arms and linkages, adjust steering gear, inspect replace rack and pinion, repair cv joints and wheel bearings. perform basic diagnosis of electrical system, diagnose and replace problems related to charging and starting system, remove and replace electrical components,replace engine components water pumps, seals and gaskets, determine origin of fluid leaks, tear down, inspect and reassemble engine, remove and replace engine, change engine and transmission mounts, recover and recycle refrigerant, diagnose and replace fuel systems components

Plus 3 a.s.e certs.

I will only have 2 and a half years of experience counting school and 1 and a half year not counting school and only counting time out in the field as experience.

How much should I get paid?

Thanks for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 09:45 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
Overview of BLS Wage Data by Area and Occupation

Old 07-04-2012, 06:05 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
Did you copy that from a job description or in those two and a half years, have you actually performed each and every one of those operations you listed?

Old 07-04-2012, 07:12 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,016,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Did you copy that from a job description or in those two and a half years, have you actually performed each and every one of those operations you listed?
Yeah I copied it but I practice those repairs at home and work.

So basically my next job I will bed doing those repairs...how much should the employer pay me?

Old 07-04-2012, 07:47 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,371,139 times
There's really no way to determine what you should get paid, because there are too many variables - not the least of which is the fact that if the job market is saturated with people like you, you have no leverage.

I would make a rough guess, and say that in most areas a person with your skill level and experience is going to start out in the $10 - $12 per hour range.

Years of experience, further certifications, and proven mechanical skills will move you quickly up the ladder.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:58 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
There's no substitute for on the job, hands on experience and that takes time.

You're still a beginner, so you'll likely stay in the same pay range as you are now.

Certifications are important for landing a job but all they really mean is you spent the money and took the tests. They don't prove a thing.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:24 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
About $12 bucks and I'm not joking

Old 07-04-2012, 08:40 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
I'm currently being underpaid as entry level auto technician for acura.
How much should I get paid?
An experienced mechanic (doing pretty much anything) should get about 1/3 of the billing rate.
(25%-40% depending on paid benefits, incentives and other factors)

The trainee, assistant, apprentice, helper working with them... should get about half of that.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:44 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,893,349 times
$12? I would at least expect $15-18/hr to start. That's hard work and a shop is charging a customer $75-100/hour, if not more.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:21 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
If you had followed the link I posted you would have found that a Level 1 Tech makes in Austin Texas averagely 16.48 an hour. This is a full certified tech, which you are not. I'd expect that you would start somewhere around the 10-12 dollar an hour area. Austin, being the yuppy capital of Texas, pays more than others cities which is why I've shown their data.Texas is not known for paying basic labor skills which mechanic work falls under. May not like it and I understand it but that's the way it is. We have LOTS of illegals here with Social Security Cards that will work for minimum wages and do it 14-16 hours a day, 7 days a week and are glad to have the work. I'll assume Washington is going to pay much better. The info is at the link I posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive