Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you own a car or drivers license?
I own a car and a drivers license. 104 90.43%
I don't own a car but I have a drivers license. 9 7.83%
I don't own a car and I don't have a drivers license. 2 1.74%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 10:07 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Everyone I know growing up was at the DMV office on their 16th birthday.

I grew up around the car business and was moving cars around the lot at age 12...

I mastered parking before I ever drove about 5 mph!

Today... I own over 50 vehicles... half insured and the other half future projects.
Very cool Mr. Leno. LOL I ended up selling off my toys for the children. Really, because of out kids. LOL

Now I am looking for a couple cool cars to put in the garage. We have a garage that we can park cars in, meaning it is clean and has the room for the cars. It is mostly used as a shop space for the house. Infact I will be pulling some interior doors and painting them in there after work today. Still if we wanted to we could park our two remaining cars in there. Our goal is to place a couple cool his and her cars in there when we finish the house in maybe 4 or 5 years. (Im doing it myself, paying cash as we go, so it is a longer time line than desired but that is another story.)

I would love a nice collection and to have project cars would be very cool. Funny thing is I am left with this 2003 Chevy Astro to drive around. We still have kids but the older they get the more I have decided to turn that van into a project. Think lowered, shaved, cool paint, Removable top (Not a full convertable just the roof section) And I know you can stick a V8 in the space that the current V6 is sitting, Oh and most people inform me that you increase the MPG by up to 4 or 5 by making the swap.) I also want to replace the middle bench and the two front seats with new buckets along with getting the back bench recovered to match the buckets. New interior and some new sounds, then it should be done. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 10:21 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times
Anywhere I have ever lived required a car and a license, of course, to get around. There simply is no mass transit or even taxi service in a lot of places.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:23 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
I am licensed but do not own a car.
I own a truck.
Maybe the poll should have included all motor vehicles that require a license to operate?

Old 11-26-2014, 10:27 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I am sure your numbers will be skewed. You are posting in an automotive thread.
Yup, a pole in an automotive forum asking people if they have cars will not be indicative of the US overall.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:39 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,870,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I am licensed but do not own a car.
I own a truck.
Maybe the poll should have included all motor vehicles that require a license to operate?
it's clear by car they meant vehicle.....

Old 11-26-2014, 01:31 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Very cool Mr. Leno. LOL I ended up selling off my toys for the children. Really, because of out kids. LOL

Now I am looking for a couple cool cars to put in the garage. We have a garage that we can park cars in, meaning it is clean and has the room for the cars. It is mostly used as a shop space for the house. Infact I will be pulling some interior doors and painting them in there after work today. Still if we wanted to we could park our two remaining cars in there. Our goal is to place a couple cool his and her cars in there when we finish the house in maybe 4 or 5 years. (Im doing it myself, paying cash as we go, so it is a longer time line than desired but that is another story.)

I would love a nice collection and to have project cars would be very cool. Funny thing is I am left with this 2003 Chevy Astro to drive around. We still have kids but the older they get the more I have decided to turn that van into a project. Think lowered, shaved, cool paint, Removable top (Not a full convertable just the roof section) And I know you can stick a V8 in the space that the current V6 is sitting, Oh and most people inform me that you increase the MPG by up to 4 or 5 by making the swap.) I also want to replace the middle bench and the two front seats with new buckets along with getting the back bench recovered to match the buckets. New interior and some new sounds, then it should be done. LOL
Came close a couple of times to finding the right property where I could have a nice shop...

So far... my vehicles are scattered and at the moment mostly packed like sardines... not optimal.

Mostly stock from 1905 to 2002...

Kuddos on the pay as you go building... I call it building guilt free because you are not in hawk.

My home is older and on steep 1 acre lot... still am able to get 12 cars shoehorned in through 6 garage doors...

I do know a lot of kids today that don't have licenses... they depend on friends or family.

It was very different back in the day...

Old 11-27-2014, 07:20 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,679,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
I like how you have a description of it on your profile!
Also planning on getting a motorcycle license. 2015 will be the year .

Old 11-27-2014, 08:30 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Are the results of this going to be much of a surprise? Outside of maybe some (a few) urban centers with really good public transit, most Americans over 25 are going to have a license and a vehicle to get around.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:02 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Are the results of this going to be much of a surprise? Outside of maybe some (a few) urban centers with really good public transit, most Americans over 25 are going to have a license and a vehicle to get around.
I'd drop that age to 21. 21-24 has a license and a vehicle as often as 25+.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:15 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
I'd drop that age to 21. 21-24 has a license and a vehicle as often as 25+.
Agreed, and I would go so far as to drop it even further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive