Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 06:01 PM

442 posts, read 1,578,233 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts when considering to purchase a used vehicle?
I'm on the hunt now...alot of you were very helpful on my Xterra post. I'm still struggling trying to find a reliable vehicle in my price range, I won't finance or lease again.

My mom has got two older vehicles at one auction site in the past, one lasted her years (98 Explorer) and this one seems to be pretty reliable (98 Tahoe). Right now I'm considering an 05 Scion xB (138k mi) or a Toyota Rav4 (I'm guessing it's an 07-10 model), both at a different auction site that we haven't been to before.

A lot of these used car dealerships seem to have a lot of great vehicles but I've never had to go shop one for myself until now. It makes me a bit uneasy, not knowing what to look for on the vehicle and the thought of a sales guy taking advantage of that..or just ending up with a junker. How do you know of a used lot is trust worthy?

Is one more risky than the other? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 06:16 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,341,120 times
First and Foremost, TAKE A MECHANIC WITH YOU!!! I can't stress that enough.
Buying from a car lot can be a crapshoot - but buying at an auction is even more risky. You haven't bid on the car, much less bought it, so the auction ppl are gonna be objective to your examining the car more closely. Look at it this way: you spend a lot of precious time looking at a particular car at an auction, only to get outbid.
Now, a car lot can be more lenient. You are the only one looking at the car, the salesman sees you're interested. The more reputable lots will do what's necessary to put you in that car. Go to a lot, forget the auction. And for Heaven's sake, refer to my first sentence! As your mechanic finds issues, you can either bargain down or walk away.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:31 PM

442 posts, read 1,578,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
First and Foremost, TAKE A MECHANIC WITH YOU!!! I can't stress that enough.
Buying from a car lot can be a crapshoot - but buying at an auction is even more risky. You haven't bid on the car, much less bought it, so the auction ppl are gonna be objective to your examining the car more closely. Look at it this way: you spend a lot of precious time looking at a particular car at an auction, only to get outbid.
Now, a car lot can be more lenient. You are the only one looking at the car, the salesman sees you're interested. The more reputable lots will do what's necessary to put you in that car. Go to a lot, forget the auction. And for Heaven's sake, refer to my first sentence! As your mechanic finds issues, you can either bargain down or walk away.
I don't even know a mechanic and really haven't gone to one since I've had this lease, only work I've had done is an oil change. How do you go about having a mechanic check out a vehicle that you're interested in? IMO it's both a crapshoot. My perspective on the auction is that those often come from bankruptcies and whatnot (Atleast is the case for the one particular auction house we've been going to), not someone dumping their junker. Also, how would you determine if a lot is reputable? Online reviews/ratings (if even available) ?

Old 10-06-2014, 06:54 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,341,120 times
Ashley, you stated that your Mom purchased two older vehicles, yes? Maybe she or somebody she knows has a mechanic who is reliable. Oil changes aside, someone who does alignments and/or other work. Find an independent mechanic; STAY AWAY from the franchises like Pep Boys or Auto Zone. When you're dealing with an independent mechanic, you're dealing with the owner of the shop - his reputation is on the line. Also, I agree with your perspective of the auction: they are notorious for selling "surplus" cars, such as ex-police cars, ex-rental cars, etc. You'll also find repossessed cars (bad news also) and dealer defects (cars returned to dealers under lemon law).

Old 10-06-2014, 06:56 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
First and Foremost, TAKE A MECHANIC WITH YOU!!!
Now, come one. Who can do that? Most of us can barely get an appointment to take our cars in. Besides, what can a mechanic do standing in the parking lot staring at the car? Where is his jack, diagnostics, tools, etc. etc. This advice is often dispensed but not very helpful.

EDIT:

PMA, saw your post after I typed mine! Read your mind.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:04 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
If I were to purchase used it would be from the actual original owner proper so service documentation is available(if not available forget it) and I can see if he/she truly took care of the vehicle. You typically visit their house to view the vehicle and can note the outside of the house and lawn if there is a latter to see if the person is careful in their habits it will also reflect in the appearance of their other property and not just the car. And check for oil stains in the driveway!

I would not purchase from a used car lot or auction.

Last edited by Felix C; 10-06-2014 at 07:12 PM..

Old 10-06-2014, 07:33 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
You typically visit their house to view the vehicle
Not anymore! You'll probably meet up at some mall parking lot. Such is the age of Craigslist.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:13 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,853,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMissAshley View Post
What are your thoughts when considering to purchase a used vehicle?
I'm on the hunt now...alot of you were very helpful on my Xterra post. I'm still struggling trying to find a reliable vehicle in my price range, I won't finance or lease again.

My mom has got two older vehicles at one auction site in the past, one lasted her years (98 Explorer) and this one seems to be pretty reliable (98 Tahoe). Right now I'm considering an 05 Scion xB (138k mi) or a Toyota Rav4 (I'm guessing it's an 07-10 model), both at a different auction site that we haven't been to before.

A lot of these used car dealerships seem to have a lot of great vehicles but I've never had to go shop one for myself until now. It makes me a bit uneasy, not knowing what to look for on the vehicle and the thought of a sales guy taking advantage of that..or just ending up with a junker. How do you know of a used lot is trust worthy?

Is one more risky than the other? Thoughts?

I've bought and sold a lot of cars in the last 25 years (closing in on #84 this week, actually), and as much as I know about cars, I ALWAYS do one of two things:

1. Take a mechanic with me
or
2. Arrange to take the car TO a mechanic to get a pre-purchase inspection (a thorough one, at that....yes, you have to pay for these, but better to pay a little up front to make sure you're not getting taken).

Personally, if I were you, I would try to find the vehicle you want for sale by a private owner, and make sure the owner has a documented service history. Your experience will likely be much, much better than just showing up at a used car lot.

Good luck!

Old 10-06-2014, 09:18 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMissAshley View Post
I don't even know a mechanic and really haven't gone to one since I've had this lease, only work I've had done is an oil change. How do you go about having a mechanic check out a vehicle that you're interested in? IMO it's both a crapshoot. My perspective on the auction is that those often come from bankruptcies and whatnot (Atleast is the case for the one particular auction house we've been going to), not someone dumping their junker. Also, how would you determine if a lot is reputable? Online reviews/ratings (if even available) ?
From the questions you ask, it is obvious that it will be very risky for you to buy a car from either a used car lot or an auction without having an independent mechanic inspect it. Please do not be offended by my statement -- this applies to most people who buy used cars, including many who fancy themselves far for car-savvy than they really are.

In over 34 years in the repair business I have yet to hear, "I am sorry I paid to have a buyer's check done." "I guess I should have had it checked out first...." that I have heard MANY times.

Piece of crap cars go to auction and are sold privately both. My shop works with a mature ethical car salesman at a local Honda dealership. (Yes...there really ARE car salesman who find that a reputation for integrity gets them referrals and sales.) More than once I have warned him about a car that is being traded in: "You don't want that POS on your lot, she is getting rid of it because it has all kinds of problems." He replies: "I know that, we will send it to auction." In most states used cars carry no implicit warranty whatsoever whether from a dealer, an individual or an auction. The warranties that can be purchased are almost always worthless.

Don in Austin

Old 10-06-2014, 09:25 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,122,758 times
At a auction you cannot start up the car, cannot have a mechanic do any test on motor, cannot take for test drive,and sold as is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive