Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 01:36 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,480,612 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a vehicle that has a last recorded mileage in 2012 of 56K. Car had regularly increasing mileage reports at service intervals up to that point. After 2012 there are recorded service events and state inspections, but no mileage on the Carfax. What's even stranger is that the selling dealer is now saying the cluster is not working and they are in the process of changing it out. They further say the speedo reads 156K. It's all very weird and is generating concern on my part that there may be something shady going on.

I can't go to the dealer right now as I am not close by at present, but I plan to visit this weekend.

I'd like to get thoughts on why there would be no recorded mileage from 2012. Perhaps the instrument cluster was completely dead during inspection? Oregon only care about emissions, that's all the inspection covers.

Further I understand that cluster changes that materially impact the displayed mileage should be recorded by a sticker on the door frame. No such sticker exists apparently.

Of course it's possible that the car sat around for 5 years, but that wouldn't explain the lack of recorded mileage at inspections.

Am I crazy to even consider this car?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 06:15 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,344,851 times
Firsthand experience with why you shouldn't trust Carfax.

I was attempting to sell a vehicle I've owned since 2003. A buyer pulled the carfax and asked me why it showed a different "story" of the vehicle than I was reporting. It showed the vehicle being sold several times since 2003. In fact, each time I registered the vehicle in a new state, it recorded as a "sale". At none of those instances was the mileage reported.

Thankfully I keep detailed records (er, might be borderline hoarding) and was able to show registrations every year back to the very first. But the point I'm trying to make is that Carfax is only as good as the information that's put into the system. And the DMV/inspection workers usually don't care... there May also be a glitch between how the records are imported into the Carfax database.

Bottom line, use it as a very small piece of the toolbox by which you judge a vehicle. I'd place a lot more faith in a Pre-Purchase Inspection than Carfax.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:54 AM

413 posts, read 298,760 times
Look for a different car to purchase if you feel uncomfortable. Lots of them out there.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:37 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,435,206 times
run away from that car

Old 08-31-2017, 01:52 PM

15,692 posts, read 20,198,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Firsthand experience with why you shouldn't trust Carfax.

I was attempting to sell a vehicle I've owned since 2003. A buyer pulled the carfax and asked me why it showed a different "story" of the vehicle than I was reporting. It showed the vehicle being sold several times since 2003. In fact, each time I registered the vehicle in a new state, it recorded as a "sale". At none of those instances was the mileage reported.

I can second that. Carfax can be inaccurate and misleading.

I bought a car in 1997 that I still own. I've taken the plates off and reregistered it a few times over the years as it sat, and got driven. Each time this happened, it was recorded as a sale. So while I'm technically the 2nd owner of the car, carfax will report it as 5-6 owners. Lovely. At least this one I can prove out as I hold a 1997 dated title in hand.

I also have a mileage discrepancy because during one of my inspections, the shop owner just rounded the mileage, up, to a round number. This number just happened to be bigger than the amount of miles I put on my car each year. I didn't catch this in time. I know this one technically isn't Carfax's fault.

Good thing I never plan to sell this car.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:14 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,222,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
I'm looking at a vehicle that has a last recorded mileage in 2012 of 56K. Car had regularly increasing mileage reports at service intervals up to that point. After 2012 there are recorded service events and state inspections, but no mileage on the Carfax. What's even stranger is that the selling dealer is now saying the cluster is not working and they are in the process of changing it out. They further say the speedo reads 156K. It's all very weird and is generating concern on my part that there may be something shady going on.

I can't go to the dealer right now as I am not close by at present, but I plan to visit this weekend.

I'd like to get thoughts on why there would be no recorded mileage from 2012. Perhaps the instrument cluster was completely dead during inspection? Oregon only care about emissions, that's all the inspection covers.
Perhaps if the vehicle was registered in another state during that interval, another state that has no yearly inspections? Some say Carfax reports registrations in another state, but maybe that's in some states but not others.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:21 PM

The registration renewals and inspections all show Oregon so I don't believe the car was elsewhere. I'm going to pass on the car as the dealer is waay to shady. I got a call from one of their sales guys, who said, "I was asked to call you by the boss, but I know nothing about the car and it is in a different location with the dash in pieces.". Wow!

Old 09-01-2017, 10:56 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,597,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
The registration renewals and inspections all show Oregon so I don't believe the car was elsewhere. I'm going to pass on the car as the dealer is waay to shady. I got a call from one of their sales guys, who said, "I was asked to call you by the boss, but I know nothing about the car and it is in a different location with the dash in pieces.". Wow!
What's the big deal about a car with 156k miles needing a dash repair? You didn't mention brand, but GM cars have been known to have issues with stepper-motors in the cluster to the extent that there are guys on eBay offering a repair service & Amazon has the parts in stock. At 150,000+ miles, you shouldn't be spending big money for the car anyway. The dash & cluster pop out in a few minutes on most cars- sometimes without even using tools, so it's not like this is a major repair. I'd be a lot more concerned about collision damage.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
What's the big deal about a car with 156k miles needing a dash repair? You didn't mention brand, but GM cars have been known to have issues with stepper-motors in the cluster to the extent that there are guys on eBay offering a repair service & Amazon has the parts in stock. At 150,000+ miles, you shouldn't be spending big money for the car anyway. The dash & cluster pop out in a few minutes on most cars- sometimes without even using tools, so it's not like this is a major repair. I'd be a lot more concerned about collision damage.
It was more the intermediate blank period for the last 5 years, where the car did at least another 100k over the last reported mileage, and now there is 'somthing wrong' with the speedo cluster. Anyways not to worry, I have discounted that car from my shortlist.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:42 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,215,522 times
i've heard that many of the later model vehicles record mileage in other components so that even if the speedo is not working, there is still another indicator of mileage.

This coming from a fellow who sought out the best russian car hacker in Brooklyn NY to roll back the miles in his infiniti because they had to ensure that there were 3 hacks to perform instead of just the speedo. The motivation being so he wouldn't have to pay overage miles on his lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive