U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 12:03 PM

4,793 posts, read 6,510,887 times

Advertisements

I have floored my car for 2 reasons
! When I was younger I loved to get out on a clear road and floor it. Loved to "hit the peg".
2 As an adult I floor it sometimes as needed when pulling out on an expressway and need to get out of the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 12:04 PM

11,790 posts, read 12,648,410 times
I don't see the point of not flooring it, especially a sports car.

I have heard the argument made that if you don't ever use that last 10% or 15% or 20% or whatever it was, don't remember don't really care, that you might increase the life of the engine. But that's for fleets of trucks I think. So maybe if you are a cable company, or the post office or coach service it might behoove you to adjust the throttles of your vehicles so that they can't ever go full throttle so you can get them to last 3-400k miles without a major overhaul - but on a freakin' Vette? Come on man. This thread is embarrassing. No wonder the Automotive section here is such a joke. I dare you to go to the Vette boards and post this to see what kind of response you get. Actually, come to think of it, a lot of those guys buy those cars and baby them and never drive them hard either - so maybe you'll get some sympathy - I don't know. It wouldn't be me.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:14 PM

4,644 posts, read 7,073,425 times
Bouncing off the rev limiter makes me smile.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:41 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,493,390 times
Everyday..they are designed for it. I am actually amazed that the OP would consciously be watching and noting it. Its such a transparent part of driving its not noteworthy to most. Its like asking if you have ever braked hard or turned a corner sharply. Other than possibly when brand new, todays engines are made for this and"flooring" is a non-event.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:29 PM

4,914 posts, read 5,531,053 times
I never owned a car that I didnt floor and I've owned over 20+ cars in my life. I've floored everything from Chevy Astro vans to Toyota corollas. Last time I really opened up one of my cars on the highway was about 5yrs ago when I owned a 2004 350z. Heading to an event at Raceway Park in NJ I redlined each gear up to 5th and had the car just shy of 140mph before I let up on the gas.

btw- You have no business owning a vette if you've never floored it.

Last edited by louie0406; 11-28-2014 at 02:49 PM..

Old 11-28-2014, 02:34 PM

1,723 posts, read 3,182,903 times
I had to floor my Ford Escape once. It was one of those instantaneous life or death decisions you're forced to make sometimes. I either had to floor it to get around a taxi cab possibly hitting the cab or worse, or stay where I was and get creamed by a bus.

I chose to floor it.

Apparently, I made the right decision because I'm still here posting.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:38 PM

2,936 posts, read 3,341,436 times
Back when Montana did not have a daytime speed limit I floored the 88 Formula 350 Firebird I had at the time as soon as I crossed the ID\MT border on I90. It got to the 140mph limit on the speedometer and I kept it floored for a few miles after I got out of the real twisty stuff in along Lookout Pass.

Those were the days...

Old 11-28-2014, 03:10 PM

9,819 posts, read 7,125,230 times
Flooring it is good to blow the carbon out of the exhaust system.
I usually get on it when I merge onto the highway in my Replica Cobra cause it is fun but it is also scary how fast it is. I don't floor it in my F150 because I'm always thinking about the gas economy. In the JeeP I don't floor it either because it is only a 4 cylinder and it doesn't like it and will buck.
Getting on it under the right conditions can be fun but please be safe.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:21 PM

128 posts, read 419,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
This may sound like a strange question, but I'm just curious what percentage of people have.

I own two cars, an 08 Altima and a Corvette. I've never floored either one. Seems like, why would I put this stress on the car for no reason?
I've ran my stuff hard at times, just for the pure enjoyment of it. Nothing like a good "holeshot" setting you firmly back against the seat, or some hard cornering just to see how much you can push it. My advice to you though, if you have a fairly new vette, and have never hammered on it, don't. Look on youtube for some very underskilled vette drivers, who very quickly get in over their heads.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:45 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,152,474 times
Let me see.

1963 Rambler American. Bought it for $1885 or so. Young wife was 7 months pregnant and visiting her parents on mid Long Island when her Father died abruptly. Did it all the way from Rochester NY to mid Long Island with the petal to the metal. 87 miles an hour unless downhill or up. Car seemed to like it.

Had a 1988 Olds that went like the wind...Use to open up and keep it there in the back roads of upstate NY. Never did get nailed though I deserved it.

In the early 90s rented a big black Mercedes in Stuttgart. Actually ended up not cruising wide open. Car was a nice ride at 110. At 130 it was a noisy squirrel. Scary. We cruised at around 110.

I think I have opened up and sustained max speed on every car I have owned. I also drove probably a few thousand hertz mobiles...never opend them up...but once.

Made a plane at JFK from Stanford CN. In the evening rush hour In less than an hour including toll gates and turning in the vehicle. I think it was smoking when I left it. Amazing how fast you can get across NY if you damn the torpedoes and do it against the rush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or