U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2014, 08:37 AM

13,375 posts, read 7,135,232 times

Advertisements

Some cars you actually need to get it up to the high rps every so often. I have a Mazda RX-8 and it's recommended to take it up to 6,000 rps every day so the carbon doesn't build up....I do so as often as I can ...usually just when I'm pulling out on a straightaway to take it from 0 - 60 mph - that usually does the trick.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 08:51 AM

404 posts, read 703,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
This may sound like a strange question, but I'm just curious what percentage of people have.

I own two cars, an 08 Altima and a Corvette. I've never floored either one. Seems like, why would I put this stress on the car for no reason?
What is the point of the vette if you never floor it? You don't sound like a fun person.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:07 AM

3,755 posts, read 1,594,731 times
Quote:
This may sound like a strange question, but I'm just curious what percentage of people have.

I own two cars, an 08 Altima and a Corvette. I've never floored either one. Seems like, why would I put this stress on the car for no reason?
I floored rental cars twice.

The first time was when I rented an Aspen. It is a large SUV which is under powered. I had to floor it just to get up to road speed. When I got back to my home airport, I almost put my wife's RAV4 into a toll booth.

The second time was in a Volvo S80. Someone was entering rte 75 in Florida and challenging me for the right lane. I floored it and I was suddenly down the road and he was way back there. I found out what turbo charged really means.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:09 AM

7,677 posts, read 24,983,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Bad weight balance, torque steer, poorly gripping tires, among other shortcomings make accords and camrys completely unsuitable for spirited driving.
Camrys yes, Accords no. Honda actually cares about how its cars perform and handle. Toyota could care less.. has always been that way.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:53 AM

2,775 posts, read 2,582,273 times
Quote:

Without reading other replies I am just going to say you are crazy! What is the point of having a fast/muscle car if you aren't going to floor it once in a while, somewhere safe? I mean seriously - that's what they are made for! After initial break-in periods for any vehicle I have driven I have "floored it" to see what they can do. I read somewhere once that you need to do this to keep engines healthy anyway (not sure if this is verifiable). Each to their own but I cannot imagine driving slow and easy 100% of the time with a sports car.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:12 PM

6,268 posts, read 12,114,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Unrelated comment here....

I have heard the, "...flooring it cleans out the carbon". However, I do not think this actually is true.

When you are steady state cruising down the highway the engine is running lean to save fuel (14.7 parts air to one part fuel). The leaner an engine runs the hotter the exhaust gasses are.

When you ask the engine to produce full power the exhaust gasses will actually be cooler. This is because fuel is actually used to cool the combustion chamber. In addition to the fuel used for combustion. The air fuel ratio changes for higher power settings. A full throttle AFR might be closer to 11.5:1 for a turbocharged car.

This AFR would be measured in the exhaust post combustion.
It is true. Best way to actually see it yourself is to start up a sportbike with an aftermarket exhaust, and twist the throttle. You can actually see flecks of carbon come out of the exhaust. Cars are no different.

AFR is one thing, but you are neglecting to consider the velocity of air flow. Full throttle produces much more exhaust flow than steady cruising.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:36 PM

3,194 posts, read 4,238,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Lots of them out there.......I know a guy with 1100 miles on a 1984 Corvette. He bought it brand new and parked it!
I went to a barber who was like that. I never understood what the point was in buying a car to not drive.

OP,

flooring the car won't hurt it at all. Depending on the year/trim of the Corvette, I'll bet you would never even come close to red ine. In fact, whatever GM put in there as a red line is often exceeded by guys who have had it tuned that way. I think my '03 Z06 red lines at 6500 rpm, I think the highest I've gone is 5700 rpm or so. Now I've driven the car pretty fast numerous times but I usually don't do it too much.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:56 PM

22,152 posts, read 26,620,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Fleet:

If you stick with the muscle cars that were likely to be found in the high school parking lots, with street legal tires and exhaust systems, the times were much less impressive. The cars in the Super Street Monster Showdown were intended only for the drag strip. In fact, I have an Oldsmobile brochure that specifically says that for the W-30.

Also, manufacturers were notorious for supplying ringers. Perhaps the most famous example was the 1964 Pontiac GTO supplied to Car and Driver magazine. It has finally been admitted that it actually had a 421 V-8, instead of the 389 V-8 available to the public. Pontiac was able to do this because the 326-428 engines shared the same medium block design.
mshultz, every true classic muscle car fan knows that all of those four cars were very capable of running in the 13s. Owners have taken cars like that (unmodified, and they do check to make sure, even pulling the spark plugs and checking displacement) and have run similar times

Not all cars tested by magazines were ringers... check out some Car Life and Motor Trend tests... in many cases, actual car owners were easily able to best their times. One reason being that test cars were not always completely broken-in at the time of the test.

Those cars in the Super Street Monster Showdown were can could be street driven. They were not like the Mopar Max Wedge and For Thunderbolt... they actually could be street driven quite easily. In fact, I see those kind of cars at car shows frequently. I have even seen the '68 S/S Hemi Darts street driven, which were much more radically-tuned than the Olds.

Of particular interest in that four-car test was the Buick Stage 1. After recording the times with no mods, they bolted on a set of headers and put slicks on the rear. The 1/4 mile time went from 13.7@105.2 mph to 13.12@107.6 mph. They then lowered the pressure in the slicks from 22 lbs to 15 lbs and got a 12.89@107.80 mph.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:54 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,547,293 times
I floored my Outback driving in the CO mountains for about 5 seconds to get up a really steep hill once. It's got some decent grunt.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:02 PM

2,737 posts, read 2,577,743 times
I can't believe some of you remember every time you've ever floored it. The guy talking about being scared after flooring a Accord, is that sarcasm? What are you used to driving, a bicycle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or