Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 06:47 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,870,050 times

Advertisements

Pretty much every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 09:36 PM

307 posts, read 685,123 times
I've juiced every car I've owned. But it's more fun on a sportbike.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:42 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
????????????? Really????????????????????????
271 horsepower in a family sedan...

Old 11-28-2014, 09:47 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Hasn't everyone?

Old 11-28-2014, 09:49 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
I have to floor my little hoopie every time I drive. Have to so I can keep up with traffic. It's a four-cylinder diesel that puts out 74 horse power. Heavy little car too. Takes "forever" to get up to cruising speed, and every time it even sniffs a hill, it runs other way. I fight it to make it go up the hill, and it gets even with me by slugging up it.

One hill out here on the freeway, I hit the bottom at about 80, and by the time I'm at the top, I'm only going 50 or 55 if the wind is with me. Guess that's the price I have to pay for 36 mpg fuel consumption.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:28 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
This may sound like a strange question, but I'm just curious what percentage of people have.

I own two cars, an 08 Altima and a Corvette. I've never floored either one. Seems like, why would I put this stress on the car for no reason?
Do you know what a tachometer is?

Old 11-29-2014, 12:49 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
Sounds like you have a valve train type tapping. Lifter maybe?
Yes, there was a lifter tick. The current owner already replaced it.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:08 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Now we have minivans that are faster than the muscle cars of the 1960s.
Uh, I don't think so...

Old 11-29-2014, 07:17 AM

4,142 posts, read 3,054,676 times
Fleet:

If you stick with the muscle cars that were likely to be found in the high school parking lots, with street legal tires and exhaust systems, the times were much less impressive. The cars in the Super Street Monster Showdown were intended only for the drag strip. In fact, I have an Oldsmobile brochure that specifically says that for the W-30.

Also, manufacturers were notorious for supplying ringers. Perhaps the most famous example was the 1964 Pontiac GTO supplied to Car and Driver magazine. It has finally been admitted that it actually had a 421 V-8, instead of the 389 V-8 available to the public. Pontiac was able to do this because the 326-428 engines shared the same medium block design.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:29 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
No, I honestly am not trolling. I've never needed to with either car. Half throttle is more than enough.

To correct an earlier post, comparing an engine to a muscle is ridiculous. The engine won't get stronger by challenging it.
That is a good point. It will not get stronger. However, one day you might need all of the available power of the car. I am reassured in knowing what my car can and cannot do with all of it's power. And since I do floor it I know it works.

---------------------

Unrelated comment here....

I have heard the, "...flooring it cleans out the carbon". However, I do not think this actually is true.

When you are steady state cruising down the highway the engine is running lean to save fuel (14.7 parts air to one part fuel). The leaner an engine runs the hotter the exhaust gasses are.

When you ask the engine to produce full power the exhaust gasses will actually be cooler. This is because fuel is actually used to cool the combustion chamber. In addition to the fuel used for combustion. The air fuel ratio changes for higher power settings. A full throttle AFR might be closer to 11.5:1 for a turbocharged car.

This AFR would be measured in the exhaust post combustion.

However.....

I have a 2003 VW Jetta diesel. These cars are sometimes know to have excess oil accumulate in the lowest part of the intake ducting. This would be the bottom of the intercooler. If the oil hasn't been drained or the car hasn't been floored in a long time a problem can occur.

When the car is floored the oil will get ingested by the engine the engine will run on this oil. Causing the engine to run away even after you release the accelerator. Normally the engine fails before all excess oil is consumed.

So, in this car's case an occasional flooring does more good than harm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive