U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 11:06 AM

33,141 posts, read 39,090,825 times

Advertisements

I watched a car race last week on tv, thought it was F1 but in fact it was a new racing league devoted to electric F1 type cars, i think its called formula E.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg3l2Q-EwaQ.

Not sure the idea of silent race cars is going to be positively received by the public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 02:31 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,149,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
It's been well over eight years since I first encountered a hybrid -- a Toyota Prius n a C-store parking lot in an upscale part of suburban D. C. Plenty of water has gone over the dam in the intervening years, and perhaps appropriately, the fuel-price worries that sparked the interest in hybrids peaked only two years later.

So with a slow-but-steady growth in the interest in hybrid teechnology. but fuel prices under negative pressure unseen since sometime in the Nineties, I'm wondering what the future will hold for the hybrid market. One point which interests me particularly is how. or even whether the kinowledge to service them will move outside the dealerships.

It was Henry Ford himself who said "Pioneering don't pay", and while I recognize that instability is a permanent feature of the petroleum-based econoomy and that it's always a good idea to hedge one's bets, it would appear at this point that the advantages of hybrid technology have been dealt a substanitial setback by the workings of the markets.

i''d like to hear the comments of some of the regulars here on that issus.
Do some research on hybrids before posting something a ridiculous as
Quote:
One point which interests me particularly is how. or even whether the kinowledge to service them will move outside the dealerships.
Plenty of DIY types have learned how to keep a Prius running for hundreds of thousands of miles. It's not complicated.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:35 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,149,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Conventional gas cars make compelling arguments. The Honda Fit does everything the Prius does and does it better. The one thing it can't do is match the mileage. It's a fantastic little car with an absurd amount of space and practicality (a major reason I bought the Prius as well, but the Fit is just better). It's also in the real world about $1,500 cheaper due to discounting on the Prius and a bit better equipped. That's partly because it's a brand-new model versus one that should have already been replaced. Next Prius will address that, I have no doubt.

But anyway, do you spend $1,500 more to get an extra 1/3 is gas mileage for a car that's really worse? For me the answer is yes. Doesn't bug me that someone would take the Fit over a Prius. Likewise, it doesn't bug me at all if people want to purchase big crossovers that get poor gas mileage and cost a lot of money. I'm sure there's things they like just as much as I like going 500 miles between now sub $30 fillups. I'm a cheapskate, so even though the Fit is generally a better car even at $3/gallon for gas I'm more than happy with my choice. There's two Fits (and another Prius) in the extended family.
I disagree.

A Fit is a nice car but it is smaller than a regular Prius and much smaller than the Prius V. I also don't like how you have to buy the fully loaded package on the Fit to get Sat/Nav.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:46 PM

13,441 posts, read 15,046,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
I disagree.

A Fit is a nice car but it is smaller than a regular Prius and much smaller than the Prius V. I also don't like how you have to buy the fully loaded package on the Fit to get Sat/Nav.
On the outside, but not so much on the inside. Slightly smaller trunk with the seats in place, but more rear legroom than the Prius has and more total cargo area with the seats down. Prior to the new Fit they were even more similar. The new Fit prioritized backseat space at the expensive of cargo capacity. It's certainly got less cargo area than the Prius V, but really not that much less than you'd think given its size.

EX-L with Sat Nav isn't really any more expensive than a base model Prius anyway. Personally, I don't care because smartphones work better than GPS in cars anyway so I'd never pay $1,000 for something that's worse.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:32 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,101,119 times
I purchased a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid a few years ago and am pretty happy with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or