U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 12:15 PM

268 posts, read 873,485 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
We are moving to San Diego, CA from Texas in early January. We also bought a car recently. I heard that if I move a new car to CA, I have to pay sales tax(Sales Tax in CA - Sales Tax in TX ~ 3%) again. I already did some search on this forum and found a lot of different information. I saw there is a rule for 120 days, I also saw 49-state thing. So, I'm just wondering, which one is more accurate? Most of those posts were old, so any recent information would be very helpful.

- Is there any way I can avoid paying this sales tax once I move to California?
- Like some other states, TX also has tax credit when buying a new car with trade-in. I meant to say, if my new car price is $38K and the trade-in value was $20K, then I have to pay sales tax only for the remaining balance, which is $18K. I did that already in August. But I think California don't follow it. So in case if I have to pay tax, which portion of the price will be considered for sales tax?

I bought my car in August 18, 2014 and its currently registered in Texas.

On DMV site Buying a Vehicle From Out of State - Can You Register it in California? FFVR 29, there is a section related to 49-state rule:

Quote:
Does This Apply to Someone Moving to California?

If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new 49-state vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the last state of your military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence that the vehicle was registered.
Does this apply to me? Any information would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 02:50 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,206,796 times
You should be ok. I think there are 2 issues here. The 49 state thing was an offshoot of an old rule attempting to keep new non CA emissions vehicles out, the rule used to be 6500 or 7500 miles on it before it could be registered. The 120 day thing is easy, just don't register the car in CA until you are past 120 days. BTW most vehicles sold today are 50 state cars anyway. Look at the label under hood or in door jamb. Will read something to the effect "Meets US Fderal and EPA standards and the state of California.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
You should be ok. I think there are 2 issues here. The 49 state thing was an offshoot of an old rule attempting to keep new non CA emissions vehicles out, the rule used to be 6500 or 7500 miles on it before it could be registered. The 120 day thing is easy, just don't register the car in CA until you are past 120 days. BTW most vehicles sold today are 50 state cars anyway. Look at the label under hood or in door jamb. Will read something to the effect "Meets US Fderal and EPA standards and the state of California.
Hey jeffrow1, thanks a lot for your response. You mean to say, that 120 days rule is considered after the moving date to the date when it gets registered in CA, not from auto purchase date?

My TX registration (sticker on the windshield) will be expired in September 2015. So, can I still drive my car in CA with that TX sticker till September (in that case, 120 days will be over)? Is it legal?

Thanks again.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:35 PM

are you not going to receive a set of texas plates?

Old 11-29-2014, 03:39 PM

Yes, I already have Texas plate and registration will be expired in Sept 15

Old 11-29-2014, 03:41 PM

Dec 18th would be 120 days since you bought it, you are not coming till Jan 2015. You should get texas plates before then, put 'em on and drive around CA till they expire or you get pulled over. There are a lot of out of state plates here due to the military. Think technically you are supposed to register in CA within so many days but you should be cool with the tax thing anyway.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
Dec 18th would be 120 days since you bought it, you are not coming till Jan 2015. You should get texas plates before then, put 'em on and drive around CA till they expire or you get pulled over. There are a lot of out of state plates here due to the military. Think technically you are supposed to register in CA within so many days but you should be cool with the tax thing anyway.
Thanks once again. I got it. But their site is still making me confused: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculator...esidentForm.do

Yes, I do have TX license plate and it will be more than 120 days from the purchase date till I move to California.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:13 PM

I tried the fee calculator. Did you notice that even if you change the date first operated in CA that the fee was calculated from today? If I'm figuring right that is under the 120 days, try the calculator around Christmas, may get another result.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:58 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,086,895 times
Don't they charge a fee if it doesn't meet California emissions now per year once a resident.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:21 PM

2,887 posts, read 4,611,072 times
If you move to California as a permanent resident you must register the vehicle in California within x number of days, I believe it's 10 days. If you have a mailing address or employment in California you are a permanent resident. Same goes for drivers license, you must get Calif drivers license if you are a permanent resident. You are not a permanent resident if you are here temporary as a student or military.
You can get away with an out of state plate until stopped by an officer and they find out you live and work in California, then you get to pay a fine and register your vehicle. Do you feel lucky??
Bringing in out of state vehicle into California. What you need to know about buying a car from out of state - SmogTips.com. Moving to California and the smog check. How to register your out of state vehicle in California, smog inspection and insuran
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or