U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 07:22 PM

3,928 posts, read 3,545,747 times

Advertisements

This is about as stupid as the red vs amber rear blinker thread. I don't know anyone who'd purposefully make their blinkers flash quickly, or why it's an issue, I do like alternating blinkers, something gm was known for, because sidemarker lights were often a part of the blinker system. Cheap led bulbs often don't load the blinker module properly since they don't pull the voltage incandescent bulds do, bette ones either come with, or have a resistor built in to the base. If a bulb goes out, it lessens the load, most systems are ran in series, some won't even blink, just steady burn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 08:37 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,638,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
This is about as stupid as the red vs amber rear blinker thread. I don't know anyone who'd purposefully make their blinkers flash quickly, or why it's an issue, I do like alternating blinkers, something gm was known for, because sidemarker lights were often a part of the blinker system. Cheap led bulbs often don't load the blinker module properly since they don't pull the voltage incandescent bulds do, bette ones either come with, or have a resistor built in to the base. If a bulb goes out, it lessens the load, most systems are ran in series, some won't even blink, just steady burn.
I agree there are a lot of stupid questions on here. Who cares if flashers are faster on some cars. That's like asking why there are more white cars than black cars. Or why your neighbor washes their car everyday. Just stupid stupid and I don't give a **** questions.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:17 PM

16,494 posts, read 17,539,161 times
When I switched to LED lights n one of my work trucks they started blinking fast due to the less resistance when I took out the incandescent and installed LED. The bulbs were the work truck type complete unit you see n tractor trailers.

On GM cars I owned a burned out bulb made the turn signals flash faster. That's how I knew I had a burned out bulb

Old 12-01-2014, 06:54 AM

2,351 posts, read 4,930,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
This was something that always perplexed me. How and more importantly, WHY did some people modify their flashers (a.k.a. turn signals) to blink really, really fast? >>>snip<<<

This seemed to be most common in the early and mid 90's on so-called "riced" imports: mainly Honda's of the period, but I've seen that mod on other models too such as Toyotas, Mazdas, and Nissans.

>>>snip<<< Why did these guys do that?
I'm surprised that the answer isn't obvious. Anyway, Here's why:
1. Observe the other modifications that such cars always have - any of the following in any combination: exhaust, tinted windows, tow hook, lowered suspension, ultra-low profile tires, etc.
2. Then observe the drivers of these cars.
3. Then consider that half the people in the world have below-average IQ.

That's it! Just do the math.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:32 AM

10,683 posts, read 17,032,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Also if you put in the wrong flasher fuse it will blink faster
A fuse will have no affect on the flash rate.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:57 PM

3,928 posts, read 3,545,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
A fuse will have no affect on the flash rate.
They're talking about the flasher module, they just don't know it's not a fuse, it is a fusible link, but it's not a fuse.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:16 PM

8,716 posts, read 8,927,230 times
People these days yank the halogen bulbs and install aftermarket LED bulbs. The new trend these days is to try and mod your car to look like a spaceship to mirror the new LED lighting systems coming out on high end luxury cars and such.

Since the LED's may not have the proper resistance equal to a halogen bulb, the flasher doesn't blink at the proper rate. Basically the lower resistance of the bulbs blinks the flasher faster as if a bulb is burned out.

Basically it's people trying to look cool regardless of if it's a "correct" modification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive