U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 10:44 AM

3,202 posts, read 4,280,069 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else wish they would standardize the tear wear rating?

500 from one company may not be 500 from another company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 10:44 AM

2,085 posts, read 1,845,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Any reputable tire shop should have a tire depth measurement device, that checks the depth from the top of the tread face, to the bottom of the tread line. 3/32 is the least that you should have, to provide proper control in rain. It is easy to use, and any body that works with tires can do it in 10 seconds per tire.

Miles travelled is NOT a good way to measure tire wear. The actual condition of the tires is the real indicator that should be used.

Jim B. In Toronto.
Actually, that tread depth measuring device is available at any auto parts store for about $1.99 and is really simple to use. When you stick the tip in the tread it will slide to a series of marks, indicating the depth of the tread. As stated, if 3/32 or less, it is time to get some new treads. Also, make sure the wear pattern is even, and replace if the tires are wearing unevenly at all. Uneven wear will be potentially inside edge, outside edge, center of the tread, or cupping. Usually if they are cupping you would have felt this as a vibration and would have gotten it checked. Overall, mileage or age are good to be aware of, but the wear is the primary factor in determining replacement.

Many people would be surprised to see the difference a good set of tires will make, even if the originals are not completely worn. Many original tires are not high quality and a good set of tires will ride smoother, quieter, and provide better wet or inclement traction.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:52 AM

13,720 posts, read 24,741,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
What is the typical number of miles registered on a car which says time to get new tires? I have a Nissan Altima and the tires came with the car when it was new.
It is interesting you gave us almost no information with your question.

Tire wear varied dramatically with brand and model of tire, and driving behavior. Some tires wear out in 15,000 miles. Others can go 70,000 miles before they are worn out.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:58 AM

38,774 posts, read 45,370,770 times
We just replaced my wife's 10 year old tires with 35,000 miles on them because the sidewalls were showing the signs of cracking and one of the tires had started to separate inside.
Safety is worth the few bucks spent on tires.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:11 AM

7,778 posts, read 9,682,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
It is interesting you gave us almost no information with your question.

Tire wear varied dramatically with brand and model of tire, and driving behavior. Some tires wear out in 15,000 miles. Others can go 70,000 miles before they are worn out.
It was night when I wrote the post and I didn't choose to go out to the car with a flashlight to check the brand and model of the tires. Then later I thought to post the number of miles registered on the car. It may be interesting, but I wasn't hiding anything. LOL It's obvious I didn't know the answer, but some of the responses have given me necessary information. Some of it I already knew, but I appreciate all of it. And your post also corroborates my assertion that no post in C-D is spared from criticism. Come hell or high water, it happens and I thank you for it.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:06 PM

5,208 posts, read 10,555,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Some tires wear out in 15,000 miles. Others can go 70,000 miles before they are worn out.
Given the same brand of tires and the same size, and a similar car,
one can reach these amount of driven miles, before they are worn out.

Example, my wife and I have similar weight cars, and also same size tires.
We buy the same brand each time when replacement is due.

Here the difference.
I get about 10,000 miles more before replacement, than she gets.
We usually have to replace before the 5-6 years.
We do drive *a lot* !!!

The difference is how she drives and how I drive.
She grew up with *Automatic Transmission* and *Power Steering*
I grew up with *Manual Transmission* and NO power steering !

The most obvious difference is when you look at her, or at me,
when we start out driving, and thus have to rotate the steering wheel.
She just rotates the steering wheel while standing still (a result of only knowing power steering).
I start to move before I rotate steering wheel (a result of driving NO power steering).
That *rotating the steering wheel* while still standing still,
is like using an eraser on the back of your pencil !
Imagine all that rubber being *rubbed off* while doing that.

I also get better gas mileage and a longer life from my brakes,
compared to her ....
But that is a whole other story !

Back to OP subject.
No need to get *tools* to determine time of replacement.
1 - Look at the date code.
--- More than 5-6 years ... time to replace.
2 - Look at the wear indicators.
--- wear-strips level with the rest of the thread pattern ? ... Time to replace.

LBNL, rub your fingers across the surface of the tire where the rubber meets the road.
Smooth ? You are OK regarding wheel alignment.
Feathery ? Time to get you wheels aligned (front AND back !)
Bad wheel alignment causes premature tire wear !
How do I know when my car needs to be realigned? - HowStuffWorks
In correct tire pressure causes premature tire wear !

Old 12-01-2014, 04:12 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,785 posts, read 39,942,182 times
When your tire disintegrates on the road.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:08 PM

276 posts, read 227,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
When your tire disintegrates on the road.
LOL, In my younger days I got a flat at 2AM on the beater Cadillac I had at the time. No spare and 20 mile from home. I drove it slow for a few miles... thump, thump, thump. Then the flat tire started coming off the rim and was really thrashing around. A few miles more and the tire was gone... now just running nice and smooth on the bare steel wheel. Sparks flying! Over the next couple miles the wheel got smaller and smaller and smaller as the road ground it into dust. By about 8 miles the lower A-arm was dragging on the road. At that point, I decided to stop, and wake-up my Dad to bring me a spare, which he did without question. What a great guy! All that was left of the wheel was the flat center disk where the lug bolts come through.

The old 1973 Cadillac sedan was a tank. A bolt came out of the brake caliper which I replaced, and with no other damage (excpt. A-arm scratches) she was good to go for another adventure.

Don't try this at home

Old 12-01-2014, 05:15 PM

1,831 posts, read 2,008,713 times
Replace about 6 years after the manufacture date which is on the tire. Replace before that if the trend is gone.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:23 PM

5,445 posts, read 4,457,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Actually, that tread depth measuring device is available at any auto parts store for about $1.99 and is really simple to use. When you stick the tip in the tread it will slide to a series of marks, indicating the depth of the tread. As stated, if 3/32 or less, it is time to get some new treads.
Wait. People buy tread depth gauges? What happened to just using a penny?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=51
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive