U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 10:51 AM

4,838 posts, read 9,370,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marykate1 View Post
I read the owners manual here:

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/.../ACC0808OM.pdf

And it does not say anything about when to do transmission oil change.
By the way, the 5-speed automatic transmissions are known to be the weak spot on your Accord so the fluid should be changed every 30,000 miles if you're driving all highway or 15,000 miles if you drive mostly city. Personally I change mine every year and I drive under 10k miles a year. This is more frequent than what my maintenance minder tells me, but I keep track of my transmission fluid changes separately. If you're not organized about things like this I would just follow the maintenance minder.

Either way, at your mileage you should've already changed the ATF fluid twice (your maintenance minder code would've had a '3' in it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 11:13 AM

794 posts, read 3,866,047 times
Hello,

At present I have NOT seen any code that relates to the Transmission Fluid change on my Honda Accord 2008.

If I ignored it or if the message went away should it not appear again to remind me again?

Old 12-01-2014, 11:20 AM

So, by reading all the comments I see the following recommendation:

Change the transmission fluid but do not flush it. Simply drain and refill.

Also, make sure to use the official Honda Genuine ATF-Z1 is used.

How can I find out if the shop or the dealer is going to use the official Honda Genuine ATF-Z1 fluid?

Old 12-01-2014, 11:36 AM

33,367 posts, read 39,847,523 times
What does your owners manual say about the timing belts, if it has a belt it might be coming due for a change.Reason i bring it up is i think its at 60K it needs to be replaced and if it breaks catastrophic engine failure occurs,.If its got a chain never mind they'll last the life of the car.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:01 PM

5,627 posts, read 6,312,802 times
Owning an automobile is a dynamic process. Only you know how you drive, store and care for your car.

If you cant or wont engage with those processes, then get a good mechanic/dealer service department with whom you can have an interactive discussion about what needs to be addressed, the recommendations on the owners manual, and when.

If that fails, go with the reminder thing and hope for the (generic) best.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:20 PM

4,838 posts, read 9,370,021 times
Quote:
Hello,

At present I have NOT seen any code that relates to the Transmission Fluid change on my Honda Accord 2008.

If I ignored it or if the message went away should it not appear again to remind me again?
Quote:
So, by reading all the comments I see the following recommendation:

Change the transmission fluid but do not flush it. Simply drain and refill.

Also, make sure to use the official Honda Genuine ATF-Z1 is used.

How can I find out if the shop or the dealer is going to use the official Honda Genuine ATF-Z1 fluid?
That's not good news. I'm 100% certain you just missed the code when it popped up the first time. Once you reset the maintenance minder it assumes you performed all services and will not pop the code until it's time to change the fluid again.

Your 2008 needs the newer ATF DW-1 which replaced the old Z-1 fluid. When you open the drain plug, 2.6 quarts will come out. That's half of your fluid. You need to fill it up, drive it around, then repeat. Since you've never done this before and you're switching over from Z-1 which is what came with your car, I'd do the drain/fill/drive procedure 4 times. You need to do it 4 times because you're only draining half of your old fluid every time you open the drain plug. Doing it 4 times will get ensure you drain most of the old fluid. Assuming you drive about 12-15k miles per year, I would drain/fill once a year thereafter and ignore the '3' code from now on, but follow the maintenance minder for all other services.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:42 PM

Thanks Parsec!

I just called my mechanic and he told me that I should do a transmission flush in which they change the complete oil. He said unless my transmission has been giving me issues it is SAFE to do a transmission flush.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:03 PM

13,720 posts, read 24,927,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
The maintenance schedule on your Honda calls for transmission fluid changes every 90,000 miles. I would strongly suggest that you have the dealer do it so the right fluid is used. An after market fluid in a Honda will shorten transmission life. I assume you've kept up with the spark plug changes. FWIW, Honda recommends new belts, air filter, and flush the brake system at 90,000 miles also. BY mileage, the oil should be changed every 5000 miles. Using the high dollar synthetic buys you nothing for your YM but a lighter wallet. The Honda engines are easy on motor oils.
Why do people post stuff like this? Honda does NOT specify a mileage interval of 5000 for oil changes.

The maintenance schedule for the Accord or almost any Honda made in the last ten years relies on the maintenance minder. Note the OP posted the link to the manual for her car.

On the two Hondas I own with a maintenance minder (Pilot and Ridgeline) the transmission fluid service indicator occurred at about 30,000 miles.

You are correct about using Honda fluids.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:04 PM

13,720 posts, read 24,927,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What does your owners manual say about the timing belts, if it has a belt it might be coming due for a change.Reason i bring it up is i think its at 60K it needs to be replaced and if it breaks catastrophic engine failure occurs,.If its got a chain never mind they'll last the life of the car.
Most 4 cylinder Honda engines do not have a timing belt, including the car in question. The V6 Honda engines do have a timing belt, and the service interval is about 100K miles (that's when my Honda told me to change it).

Old 12-01-2014, 01:12 PM

7,282 posts, read 8,546,442 times
Quote:
I drive a Honda Accord 2008. I am reading the manual and it has a section on Maintenance Minder. Maintenance Minder is a small screen in the car which indicates if the car needs maintenance.

My mechanic told me that I need a transmission fluid change $280. My car is 72K miles. The maintenance minder does not indicate anything.

The same thing with normal oil change. The maintenance minder says 50% left but the sticker the mechanic put on the car says I need to change oil right now.

Which to trust?
Go with the people that built the car.

Your mechanic is a mechanic not an engineer. When does you manual say to change the transmission fluid?

Most fluid changes are by time and mileage whichever is least. So if you car needs a transmission fluid change at 90,000 miles or 5 years, it is whichever comes first.

Changing fluids before they need changing doesn't do one bit to make you car run longer. No one has yet been able to prove that changing fluids before the recommended intervals does anything to make the car run longer. Everything you read or hear will be stories about this individual or gossip but no real comparative studies.

So go about your car's maintenance in a simple fashion:

Read the recommendations in your manual. If you drive in harsh conditions (it will explain what that means) use the schedule for that, otherwise follow the recommendations. In the long run, you'll save money, time and convenience if you go with the factory recommendations. Also, stay away from any fluid additives including oil additives, none have been proved to make a car run longer than regular oil changes. Same for gas additives.

The people who buy and use additives rarely add up the money they spend on those liquids over the life of their car. If they did, they'd probably find they could easily buy lots of other things and their cars would still run just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive