U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 11:01 AM

11 posts, read 67,994 times

Advertisements

My wife unfortunately turned just a tad too sharp to the right and dragged the right door panel and back quarter panel against a metal fence. There are a number of marks and scratches, some that I removed merely by scratching it like a lotto ticket with my nails, others that are very thin and maybe catch my nail while dragging it down the panel, and at least two spots where the paints seems to have been completely rubbed off (one dime-sized, the other the size of a stick of gum).

My car is a black 2014 Nissan Sentra and all the marks are white. It's a lease.

I'm a college student on a budget. I have comprehensive insurance but I don't want to get insurance involved if they are going to raise my rates (unless its ultimately cheaper than repairs), and I'm not actually sure they cover damage you cause to your own vehicle anyway

Here's a link to three pics of the damage: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ef484ssl5...To16EYtua?dl=0

Picture descriptions:
1. Middle of the back right door panel. Most of the marks are hairline scratches that catch my nail. The middle of the thick center portion is scratched down to the metal.

2. Scratches on the lower back right door panel and back right quarter panel. The quarter panel is dented in where the marks are thickest. The white spot around the handle and at the bottom of the door panel is just some bubbles left over from when I cleaned the area.

3. Upper back right quarter panel. These are all hairline scratches.

Any DIY options for even some of the damage? Or bite the bullet and take it into a shop? Paintless dent repair? Ballpark cost estimates?

Your help would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 11:10 AM

13,633 posts, read 8,654,691 times
They can’t paint just one spot. They paint an entire panel,and that is never cheap. Yours look like the entire door plus the rear panel. I am guessing a $1000.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:15 AM

2,887 posts, read 4,604,807 times
I couldn't open the pic, so going on description. Find a good auto detail shop and see how much can be buffed out. If it doesn't come out with a buffer, you need a good quality body shop to do repair and paint. You can't just paint a scratch, the entire panel will need to be painted to properly blend in the paint, and that won't be cheap. The body work, if any is required, is the cheap part, paint requires a lot of preparation and that means labor hours, along with paint and materials.
Without seeing the pics, I will guess around $1000.00, and that won't be far off. Don't allow a cheap Charlie shop to try and save money, you will pay for that in the long run.
Good luck

Old 12-01-2014, 11:16 AM

2,887 posts, read 4,604,807 times
Looks like Happy and I are on the same page...

Old 12-01-2014, 05:41 PM

13,633 posts, read 8,654,691 times
I thought I had done a double post! I have a 2 inch rust on the edge of the wheel well and I got quoted $500.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:59 PM

2,702 posts, read 3,434,261 times
I would get your insurance involved and see what they say.. Depends on your deductible... Also wouldn't this come under the collision part fo your insurance.. And $1000 seems right.. Depends on what state you are in....

Old 12-02-2014, 08:25 AM

11,102 posts, read 12,797,634 times
I couldn't get the pics to open,but from the OP I will have to agree with the other posters on the price.

With the ridiculous rise in prices for paint in the last decade and the cost to stay ahead of the EPA and stay legal,body shops have to charge quite a bit now just to keep the lights on.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:36 AM

7,289 posts, read 12,865,601 times
It's not an amateur (or paintless) job. It looks like an insurance claim.

With the black car and the nighttime flash picture, it's a little hard to tell exactly to what extent the sheet metal is damaged. But based on the description and the pictures, the RR door skin is may be replaced because the damage stretched the door skin around the inner structure of the door and around the rear edge. Maybe it can be repaired, but sometimes it's just as fast and produces better results to replace it instead of worrying about the contours of the repair after pulling out the damage and shrinking it around the rear edge and the center beam where it was stretched. The quarter panel is mashed and needs work, but not replacement. I can't tell if the rocker panel got damaged or if the door handle is needed. The rocker can probably be refinished if it's damaged, and the door handle is cheap anyway.

I'll call it at $1700, depending on what can be done with the door and whether the handle and rocker panel are also involved. The RR quarter, RR door, RF door, and probably the rocker panel are going to need paint work (RF door for blending). Hacking it will just look like crap and you'll get nailed for the entire repair at the end of the lease anyway.

Just for the heck of it, let us know what you find out.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:58 PM

11,102 posts, read 12,797,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
It's not an amateur (or paintless) job. It looks like an insurance claim.

With the black car and the nighttime flash picture, it's a little hard to tell exactly to what extent the sheet metal is damaged. But based on the description and the pictures, the RR door skin is may be replaced because the damage stretched the door skin around the inner structure of the door and around the rear edge. Maybe it can be repaired, but sometimes it's just as fast and produces better results to replace it instead of worrying about the contours of the repair after pulling out the damage and shrinking it around the rear edge and the center beam where it was stretched. The quarter panel is mashed and needs work, but not replacement. I can't tell if the rocker panel got damaged or if the door handle is needed. The rocker can probably be refinished if it's damaged, and the door handle is cheap anyway.

I'll call it at $1700, depending on what can be done with the door and whether the handle and rocker panel are also involved. The RR quarter, RR door, RF door, and probably the rocker panel are going to need paint work (RF door for blending). Hacking it will just look like crap and you'll get nailed for the entire repair at the end of the lease anyway.

Just for the heck of it, let us know what you find out.
I couldn't get the pics to open so I didn't see all of the dents..yes,if you take it to a jackleg and it needs dent repair and blending you will be sorry.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:54 PM

11 posts, read 67,994 times
Thanks all for the replies. I am not sure why the images are so hard to open. For those who saw them, I am sorry about the image quality. It was either nighttime to see the scratches (at the cost of seeing the dents) or daytime with terrible reflections.

Here are the price quotes I got by the way:
$1000 - Maaco
$1350 (with $150 discount) - Local collision center
$1500 - Small local shop

We'll see the final outcome. I am definitely going through insurance. Thanks for everyone's help. I'll update here once all the repairs are done in case anyone else is looking for something to compare their car situation with and I will keep the photos uploaded (they are in a public Dropbox folder, I'm not sure why they work for some and not for others, so I hope my word description is informative enough).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive