U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 07:15 AM

13,666 posts, read 8,679,766 times

Advertisements

There is a middle ground. They don’t have to be overstuffed bench seats. I have sat in bucket seats that were not overstuffed but were soft, and I had no trouble controlling the car! With hard seats we are constantly promised that they get softer as you drive. I don’t drive long enough apparently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 09:54 AM

12,904 posts, read 18,462,351 times
I hate nanny crap that comes on new cars. Beeping and flashing lights when someone's not wearing a seatbelt, messages that pop up on the nav screen saying to obey traffic laws and don't look at this screen while you're driving, that kind of stuff...

Old 12-02-2014, 10:12 AM

2,085 posts, read 1,822,923 times
I remember the remake of the Mercury Cougar in 1994 (?) that gave it a wraparound dash and huge center console. It was mimicking the Lincoln Mark VIII I think, and the console was the first one that I thought encroached too far on the drivers right side and made me feel a little claustrophobic.

I also remember driving my 1970 Chevy truck a little too hard as a teen and (no seat belt of course) ending up sitting on the passenger side when attempting a left turn too fast. There is a middle ground though that should be somewhere in the comfortable but supportive range and puts controls within reach of a seat that can be adjusted enough to make it comfortable for a day long drive. Personal favorites include my 1998 Ford Ranger that had a split bench that I found to be perfect. The fold down armrest had plenty of storage and the seat was supportive but not restrictive and had a great lumbar support. Also remember late 80's early 90's Pontiac seat that had about a zillion adjustments, used in the 6000 and the Bonneville upgrades. That seat was fantastic.

As far as the headlight plastic, think cost control and weight of plastic versus glass.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:25 AM

3,139 posts, read 6,910,559 times
Front end design has come a long way. Glass isn't going to work due to these designs.

If you want to protect them check out Lamin-x protectors.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:02 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,639,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Front end design has come a long way. Glass isn't going to work due to these designs.

If you want to protect them check out Lamin-x protectors.
Everything a automaker dose is for weight and safty. Thank you federal govt they tell the automakers what devices to install like seatbelt reminders navigation messages. It's ll for our safty and to lighten the car to comply with the cafe standards imposed by the federal govt. if the automakers had their way they would still be making the Chevelle and the old hemi roadrunner. They were a big money maker for them.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:08 AM

865 posts, read 1,451,380 times
A lot of cars make you feel claustrophobic!

The current generation is enormous on the outside ... small on the inside. I miss the days of bench seats

Old 12-02-2014, 11:34 AM

3,139 posts, read 6,910,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Everything a automaker dose is for weight and safty. Thank you federal govt they tell the automakers what devices to install like seatbelt reminders navigation messages. It's ll for our safty and to lighten the car to comply with the cafe standards imposed by the federal govt. if the automakers had their way they would still be making the Chevelle and the old hemi roadrunner. They were a big money maker for them.
I do not like polycarbonate covers either. When I did a HID retronfit I was able to use glass instead. Covered with 40 mil lamin-x to keep the rock chips away.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:35 AM

9,002 posts, read 14,212,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
My complaint is this move towards infotainment display that is the radio, navigation, heat/AC control, and anything else they can think to add. I like my stuff separate for a reason. Think of a stereo system. At one time you could buy it all in one unit. It had a turn table, CD player, dual cassette, AM/FM stereo, and at one time an 8 track player. What was wrong with that was if one part went bad you either chucked the whole thing and bought another or buy a component to replace the part of the all in one that broke. Turn table broke, either throw it out and buy another all in one or buy a turn table. But if you built up your system individually, you'd get a better system. Start with the receiver, add an amp, quality turn table, don't need to buy a CD player since that's also the DVD player, and if you still enjoy cassettes or 8 tracks then you could get those too. If one part of that system broke, you only replace that one component that broke. On a car, if the stereo head unit breaks, replace with a new head unit. If AC/heat control breaks, replace the control unit. Sat/nav should be a portable unit to take with you for whatever vehicle you choose to drive. Email, social networking web services, texting, etc should not be done while driving so leave that garbage out of the car.
Agreed! I cannot even turn on my heated seats in my current car without navigating through the "screen."

What is wrong with buttons for common, one function items? I like buttons. Heck, I can even feel them and operate them without looking away from the road. Navigating screens... not so much.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:45 AM

10,683 posts, read 17,039,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Agreed! I cannot even turn on my heated seats in my current car without navigating through the "screen."
Good system design can help a lot with that. My heated seats come on by themselves when it's below 40 degrees. And when I first start the car there are buttons for the heated seats displayed on the startup screen as the system is booting. After that it takes 2 taps to turn them on.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:49 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,012,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Agreed. I like a bench seat myself. You can still get a bench seat with heated leather on full-size pickups. Center consoles do have pretty good storage though.

For soft seats, look into a Toyota Avalon.
Better yet, look at a Lexus....comfy....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive