U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2014, 04:08 PM

8,869 posts, read 7,356,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistoftime View Post
Heavens forbid that one would have to reach for a control but that would only be an inconvenience to a "Lazy fatass" right??
It's not laziness, it's safety. Having to reach across the dash for something means taking your eyes off the road as well as leaning over away from the steering wheel. When people do this, they tend to drift to the right.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 06:24 PM

13,688 posts, read 8,689,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
if the automakers had their way they would still be making the Chevelle and the old hemi roadrunner. They were a big money maker for them.
Exactly. Just look at the computer industry. They are still banging out IBM PC/AT. Where is that Federal Bureau of Technology Advancement?

Old 12-02-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I think the modern seats are far more comfortable than the older, softer ones, especially when I think of the old bench seats that were not only soft but allowed for sliding around even with seat belts on. The modern buckets have the sides that hold you in place, probably safer too.
Donít conflate softness with side support. A seat can be comfy AND have side support. It is not either/or.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:54 PM

17,500 posts, read 18,660,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Exactly. Just look at the computer industry. They are still banging out IBM PC/AT. Where is that Federal Bureau of Technology Advancement?
They are?

Old 12-03-2014, 06:37 AM

8,514 posts, read 11,408,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
My reason for not having a dashboard infotainment display isn't about age, it's about driver safety. With buttons and knobs, you can feel the control you wish to adjust without having to take your eyes off the road. With touch screen, you have to look at the screen to switch to the display you want and then look at the screen for the controls to touch to adjust.
I completely agree with this and have mentioned it in the past. And that's why BMW's i-drive, Audi's MMI, and MB's COMAND systems with the knob at the console are better than touch screens of many other manufacturers. You can't lump all modern dashboard displays as the same.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:57 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,499,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I completely agree with this and have mentioned it in the past. And that's why BMW's i-drive, Audi's MMI, and MB's COMAND systems with the knob at the console are better than touch screens of many other manufacturers.
You still have to look at the screen to make sure you've clicked the iDrive control to the corect setting, so it's really not all that much better. In fact, my Volt's touch screen interface is much more intuitive and easy to use than the iDrive in the BMW i3 I drove for 3 days recently. And with the touch screen set high up in the center of the dash, you're really not removing your vision from the road while using it, either.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:14 AM

Just look at that neon display. Do we really need all that information thrown at us just to drive? People get ticketed because they are distracted talking on their cellphones and then we have this.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:20 AM

9,009 posts, read 14,219,852 times
Having information available does not need to be a distraction. The distraction really comes when too much information is available within a very limited display, and you have to cycle, tap, or click through menus to get to things.

I would much rather have more displays, where pertinent information is on the ready for a quick glance, then just one small "info" center where I had to watch it for multiple seconds as I scroll through display options looking for what I want.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Just look at that neon display. Do we really need all that information thrown at us just to drive? People get ticketed because they are distracted talking on their cellphones and then we have this.
That's the display (in the center console screen) that comes up with you turn the car off: it tells you how much gas you've used, how much electricity you've used, and lifetime averages for both. When running, you can have just the radio station and current song (the typical RDS stuff).

The gauge cluster directly in front of the driver has a lot of useful information, jsut like normal gauges. Speed, range, and warning lights.

I can't tell if you are just trolling now or if actually stupid.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistoftime View Post
Heavens forbid that one would have to reach for a control but that would only be an inconvenience to a "Lazy fatass" right??
Um, if you are pulling yourself up by the steering wheel while driving in order to reach a control on a dash that is too far away from you when belted in (like on my ol' 70 Mustang) then you are a safety risk. As for the lazy fatass comments, it's about sprawling out across a wide bench seat. that's ALSo unsdafe driving practice and needed to go away.

Ergonomics and keeping you in your seat are about car control and safety. Sorry, you can't see that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive