U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 05:28 PM

3,928 posts, read 3,547,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsmith680 View Post
Sure scared me when I came across the price of the self leveling headlight assembly on my DW's Lexus. Somewhere between $1200.00 to $1700.00
Whoever was bemoaning the advance of tech beyond Coleco and Atari......at 26 YO it is going to be a long frustrating life ahead. Yes, these tech advances get harder to take as we age. I bite and the bullet and trust its not the illusion of progress.

It is a bit daunting to change a bulb when it requires removing the wheel and fender liner.
Actually that comparison was for the way certain vehicles let you navigat the everything, such as the iDrive- not technology in general. I love technology, some of it(like tablets) is stupid, or has no place in certain areas- like cars. I can simply not buy anything built after 2005, no need to bite the bullet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Maybe if you had a touchscreen longer than a test drive, navigating it would become 2nd nature to you and you wouldn't have to focus so much to do what you need.

See how easy that is to turn around on you?
I had a job parking escapes, and mkc's for a month, they were still hard to navigate.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Oversized wheels w/low profile tires which result in a harsh ride. 15" wheels ride much smoother.
All of that, my friend, depends on the car, and it's suspension. Both my parents cars(ranger; 15, neon;16) have harsh rides, my blazer, and bronco felt like caddilacs by comparison, as did the contour, and so does the mountaineer my grandmother had, and has.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:07 PM

8,510 posts, read 11,398,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Maybe if you had a touchscreen longer than a test drive, navigating it would become 2nd nature to you and you wouldn't have to focus so much to do what you need.

See how easy that is to turn around on you?
You're saying you can focus on a particular point on the touchscreen without focusing? Impossible.

Test drive? I drive my wife's car multiple times a week too.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:38 PM

3,279 posts, read 3,761,278 times
My dislikes:

(1) Chipped keys that cost $100 or more to replace. I don't care about security, I care about CONVENIENCE. Convenience to me is God, practically. I want my keys to be easy to replace--and yes, I expect it even in light of the reality of stolen cars. I want this ANYWAY.

(2) Seat belt latches (the part with the release button) being buried so deep into the seats, you have to dig slam to China to buckle up. I want them to be on straps like 6 or even 12 inches long so that buckling doesn't require such a reach. Again, convenience trumps safety.

(3) Nagging the passenger, or anybody, to buckle up. Typically I do, but regardless, I don't like being nagged about such stuff. I will buckle up when I'm good and flipping ready, not a minute sooner. Shut up and leave me alone. If I wanted to be aggravated by someone nagging me, I'd go to my mother-in-law's house. If I ever get one of the newer cars with this, I will have it bypassed, even if I have to engage in illegal means to do so. I do not care what the government thinks. The government isn't the one paying for this car, or the one having to listen to the machine yap and nag. Zip your piehole, or I will zip it myself by force.

(4) Tires being so huge and expensive. To me, 14" or even 13" is plenty large enough for anything but large 4x4s. We don't need these 16 and 18 inch-sized tires or whatever that cost like $250 a piece. That's ridiculous.

Last edited by shyguylh; 12-03-2014 at 09:53 PM..

Old 12-03-2014, 09:49 PM

4,429 posts, read 3,111,384 times
Reason for bigger tires I are due to bigger brakes to handle the bigger cars on the road. I think that's a good thing

Old 12-04-2014, 05:40 AM

5,541 posts, read 4,389,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
I remember the remake of the Mercury Cougar in 1994 (?) that gave it a wraparound dash and huge center console. It was mimicking the Lincoln Mark VIII I think, and the console was the first one that I thought encroached too far on the drivers right side and made me feel a little claustrophobic.

I also remember driving my 1970 Chevy truck a little too hard as a teen and (no seat belt of course) ending up sitting on the passenger side when attempting a left turn too fast. There is a middle ground though that should be somewhere in the comfortable but supportive range and puts controls within reach of a seat that can be adjusted enough to make it comfortable for a day long drive. Personal favorites include my 1998 Ford Ranger that had a split bench that I found to be perfect. The fold down armrest had plenty of storage and the seat was supportive but not restrictive and had a great lumbar support. Also remember late 80's early 90's Pontiac seat that had about a zillion adjustments, used in the 6000 and the Bonneville upgrades. That seat was fantastic.

As far as the headlight plastic, think cost control and weight of plastic versus glass.
We had Ford Rangers in our military fleet. I loved those little trucks.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:15 AM

8,865 posts, read 7,347,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
My dislikes:

(1) Chipped keys that cost $100 or more to replace. I don't care about security, I care about CONVENIENCE. Convenience to me is God, practically. I want my keys to be easy to replace--and yes, I expect it even in light of the reality of stolen cars. I want this ANYWAY.

(2) Seat belt latches (the part with the release button) being buried so deep into the seats, you have to dig slam to China to buckle up. I want them to be on straps like 6 or even 12 inches long so that buckling doesn't require such a reach. Again, convenience trumps safety.

(3) Nagging the passenger, or anybody, to buckle up. Typically I do, but regardless, I don't like being nagged about such stuff. I will buckle up when I'm good and flipping ready, not a minute sooner. Shut up and leave me alone. If I wanted to be aggravated by someone nagging me, I'd go to my mother-in-law's house. If I ever get one of the newer cars with this, I will have it bypassed, even if I have to engage in illegal means to do so. I do not care what the government thinks. The government isn't the one paying for this car, or the one having to listen to the machine yap and nag. Zip your piehole, or I will zip it myself by force.

(4) Tires being so huge and expensive. To me, 14" or even 13" is plenty large enough for anything but large 4x4s. We don't need these 16 and 18 inch-sized tires or whatever that cost like $250 a piece. That's ridiculous.
Agree with the chipped keys and seatbelt latches. I don't nag passengers to buckle up, I just don't start rolling until everyone is buckled. I have a reason for wanting 15 inch tires or less, money! Larger tires cost more. Bad enough that my 15" tires cost about $100 per tire for decent brands.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:53 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,493,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I have a reason for wanting 15 inch tires or less, money! Larger tires cost more. Bad enough that my 15" tires cost about $100 per tire for decent brands.
My 20" tires for my Mustang were only $150 each new for a decent brand. Hell, the 13" whitewalls for my '63 Comet are damn near that expensive these days:

http://www.amazon.com/P185-80R13-Max.../dp/B00CJG0JAY

Old 12-04-2014, 11:59 AM

2,775 posts, read 2,583,642 times
My pet peeves regarding new cars today:
1) I like to just have a regular key and manual locks and windows - perhaps that's old school but I've yet to have a problem with the 3 vehicles I've purchased like this while the 4 I had with those automated/electronic ended up costing me more money (key replacement/repair, lock problem diagnosis, window issues). Sure locking the doors when getting out is something I need to be aware of (especially with kids), but everyone seems trained to do it now and it's not a problem. Likewise manually unlocking my doors is not a big deal to me (2 door vehicles).

2) I don't think the tire pressure systems (TPMS) make sense - the sensors on an extra set of wheels for winter for me cost a ridiculous amount and I question why people don't just make a habit of looking around at their tires periodically and why this expensive feature is now on all new vehicles. I don't want to pay for this feature but it is my understanding that there is a federal law regarding it being on all vehicles.

3) Buckle up chimes. I know when I am unbuckled and need to re-buckle, each and every time the chime goes off - so do my kids. The chime is ridiculous, annoying and it's more than enough that there's laws regarding buckling up; I don't need nagging reminders when I am just getting something out of a pocket/taking off my jacket or briefly stepping out to get mail.

4) All that stated, I would have to say the biggest issue I have with most vehicles on the road today are fake bumpers! I don't even know why they are called bumpers anymore... if you bump them they get destroyed! Some might say that is their point but I don't think so... at least in my opinion their point was that they could take freakin light hit and not have any damage or easily repairable damage - so that the pretty body panels of the vehicle wouldn't be messed up. I've now seen it time and time again, a minor bump and the whole facade needs to be replaced to get your vehicle back to new looking condition. Body shops must love the extra revenue they make from these fake bumpers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive