U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-02-2014, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Backwoods of Maine
6,940 posts, read 7,654,041 times
Reputation: 17837

Advertisements

I myself prefer the mudflaps with a cartoon of Yosemite Sam waving his pistols, and saying, "Back Off!".

Cheap...and you've been warned!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-02-2014, 03:52 PM
 
1,119 posts, read 815,589 times
Reputation: 2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Another thing they can do is install such equipment in the rear of an unmarked van along with a camera to catch people tailgating and send them a ticket in the mail!

A police rolling tailgater catcher.
Do that and we could collect enough fine money to pay off the National debt in about a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2014, 04:00 PM
 
Location: A place that's too cold
4,077 posts, read 4,046,849 times
Reputation: 10057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
I'm sick of people thinking they are NASCAR drivers and crawl up your ass and try to make you move so they can pass you. And if I stomp on my brakes and they hit me its there fault because you are Suspose to drive at least one car length behind the car in front of you to avoid a rear end collision. Read your drivers handbook.
One car length?? That would be only 15 feet or so, some pretty serious tailgating! I think driving classes used to teach that you should leave one car length for every 10 mph (for example, 6 car lengths if you're drving 60 mph), but now the 3 second (or more) rule is taught:


3 seconds, for speeds between 35 and 55 mph, in ideal driving conditions (good road surface, good weather, light traffic)
4 seconds, for speeds between 55 and 75 mph, OR during rain, on wet pavement, or in heavy traffic
7 - 8 seconds, for icy or snow-covered roads


How To Calculate Distance
Calculate distance between you and car ahead of you by picking an inanimate object beside the roadway. When that other car passes the object, start counting "one thousand one, one thousand two...". If you get to "one thousand three" before you pass the object, then you're three seconds behind that car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2014, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Kalamalka Lake, B.C.
2,963 posts, read 3,759,379 times
Reputation: 3768
Bumper sticker that says: Approach within a yard and paint ball filled with brake fluid automatically detonates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2014, 04:19 PM
 
5,445 posts, read 4,393,490 times
Reputation: 14992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
I'm sick of people thinking they are NASCAR drivers and crawl up your ass and try to make you move so they can pass you. And if I stomp on my brakes and they hit me its there fault because you are Suspose to drive at least one car length behind the car in front of you to avoid a rear end collision. Read your drivers handbook.
Do this and watch that person have a camera recording the whole thing. As much as I hate tailgaters as well, it is illegal to brake check. They will get a ticket for driving too close while you will end up with criminal charges and possibly a civil lawsuit if injuries are present.

It is best to just swallow your pride and let the *****hole pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2014, 04:25 PM
 
Location: Kalamalka Lake, B.C.
2,963 posts, read 3,759,379 times
Reputation: 3768
Default I put on my flashers, as if I'm having car trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Do this and watch that person have a camera recording the whole thing. As much as I hate tailgaters as well, it is illegal to brake check. They will get a ticket for driving too close while you will end up with criminal charges and possibly a civil lawsuit if injuries are present.

It is best to just swallow your pride and let the *****hole pass.
This is legal: put on your flashers and if he sees your head look around like you're panicking and trying to figure out what the problem is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2014, 04:37 PM
 
3,046 posts, read 2,634,925 times
Reputation: 2122
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
One car length?? That would be only 15 feet or so, some pretty serious tailgating! I think driving classes used to teach that you should leave one car length for every 10 mph (for example, 6 car lengths if you're drving 60 mph), but now the 3 second (or more) rule is taught:


3 seconds, for speeds between 35 and 55 mph, in ideal driving conditions (good road surface, good weather, light traffic)
4 seconds, for speeds between 55 and 75 mph, OR during rain, on wet pavement, or in heavy traffic
7 - 8 seconds, for icy or snow-covered roads


How To Calculate Distance
Calculate distance between you and car ahead of you by picking an inanimate object beside the roadway. When that other car passes the object, start counting "one thousand one, one thousand two...". If you get to "one thousand three" before you pass the object, then you're three seconds behind that car.
When I took drivers Ed the cars were much bigger today it took almost 2 of today's cars to equal the length of the cars of the 70's. I took my driveing test in a 1972 Pontiac catalina. And that was a big car. That's we're I got the one car length. Of course I always stay at least 4 car lengths back of the car in front of me. I know how people drive today. Seems like everyone is in a hurry.

Last edited by Vannort54; 12-02-2014 at 04:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2014, 05:02 PM
 
4,230 posts, read 5,736,055 times
Reputation: 10032
No more safety junk please.

I have no problems with ABS, traction, stabilty control, air bags, pyro seat belts.

We're becoming way too soft and dependent on electronic gizmos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2014, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in America
12,305 posts, read 10,044,600 times
Reputation: 20460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Fully adaptable cruise control basically serves that purpose.
I was going to say this. My Durango has this and I have it set as far back as it will allow me to be. Man, do I get cut off a LOT!



Quote:
Originally Posted by nabwong View Post
How about keeping to the right lane if you're slow? Cheaper and instant fix.
So what should I do the next time I'm doing 80 in the left lane and I'm passing someone? The speed limit here is 65 and the interstate is only 2 lanes. How about people slow down and back off?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I rigged up a "tailgate slimer" using a gallon jug, some rubber tubing, a nozzle and a windshield washer pump. I mounted it on the tailgate of my pickup, and when some lunatic rides my bumper I spray him down.
Now, that's funny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2014, 05:55 PM
 
112 posts, read 330,505 times
Reputation: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post

So what should I do the next time I'm doing 80 in the left lane and I'm passing someone? The speed limit here is 65 and the interstate is only 2 lanes. How about people slow down and back off?
I'll tell my story again. A while back, my grandma had a stroke and I needed to get to the hospital. Every single second counts in a stroke as the longer it takes, the more permanent the damage is. From that moment on, I always let every single car tailgating me pass. If it's on a 1 lane road, I signal right and slow down to let them pass. I'm not joking. I do this every single time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top