U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 07:33 AM

2,600 posts, read 5,445,746 times

Advertisements

1. The driver of the car being tailgated uses what's called the rearview mirror !!!

2. The driver of the car that's tailgating uses nothing, their idiots in the first place and should know !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 08:52 AM

4,762 posts, read 10,228,445 times
It is the idiots tailgating me in the RIGHT lane that I have problems with!

This is on roads with two lanes one direction, 2 lanes the opposite direction. They can pass in the left lane!

And I am going slightly above the speed limit, not too much so I would get a ticket though.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:45 PM

2,359 posts, read 3,028,189 times
I would rather everyone be taught how to properly drive on multi-lane highways. If you are in the far left lane and impeding traffic flow, you are disrupting the throughput of the road. Additionally, the drivers that want to drive faster almost always start tailgating, switching lanes, driving erratically and increase the danger and potential for a wreck immediately around you. Basically what I am getting at is, go ahead and be a douche and slow down more or just camp in the lane to aggravate them more or even worse do something stupid like brake check them or blind them with your sprayer. If they lose control, hit you, then it causes a pile up and you end up paralyzed for the rest of your life; I seriously doubt you will still get pleasure from that moment when you had them trapped behind you and there was nothing they could do about it.

I just don't get why people endanger themselves just to irritate someone that wants to drive a little faster.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:13 AM

33,136 posts, read 39,078,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post

I just don't get why people endanger themselves just to irritate someone that wants to drive a little faster.
Its a power trip by people who otherwise have very little power in their lives.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:37 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,635,817 times
Even if the automaker did put in some warning devices, you know it would drive up the cost of the car. Anything that cost to do will be passed onto the consumer.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Its a power trip by people who otherwise have very little power in their lives.
Maybe people driving around the speed limit have better things to spend their money on than traffic tickets and higher insurance rates?

Also in my area the roads have curves which are best driven near the recommended speeds - so add auto-body repair and medical expenses to the above expenses as well.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:40 AM

3,428 posts, read 3,243,081 times
Bumper sticker I have seen: "Please tailgate; I need the money!!!"

Here in Massachusetts, tailgating is a way of life. I usually try to just get out of the way when possible; often I'll pull over and stop. I don't want them on my tail, they're in a hurry, and I'd rather get where I'm going in one piece.

I think a standard "tailgater warning light" on every vehicle would be a great idea. If you're moving faster than 20 mph, and the mechanism determines that you're too close, your dash lights up with a warning and perhaps some yellow light on the rear of the car in front of you also starts flashing. I think it would be helpful; people tend to behave better when they're called out.

I agree however with someone above who says we already have too many nanny-state controls and governors on our vehicles. If police weren't so under funded and over worked with other more serious issues, I would want them to enforce the tailgating laws that are already on the books, and perhaps after a few fines and suspended licenses people will begin to take it more seriously.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
...I think a standard "tailgater warning light" on every vehicle would be a great idea...
In Europe, the white "fog lines" on the right borders of roads are dashes with blank spaces every so often. (Rather than the solid white line we have here.)

The length of each white line is set to the speed on the road - the distance of each white line is how far you should be behind the vehicle in front of you!

Why can we do that sort of thing here? (I know, for the same reason they still install shower heads in bathrooms at the height of your nose! )

Old 12-04-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Maybe people driving around the speed limit have better things to spend their money on than traffic tickets and higher insurance rates?

Also in my area the roads have curves which are best driven near the recommended speeds - so add auto-body repair and medical expenses to the above expenses as well.
I envisioned an interstate with some one camped in the passing lane holding every one up by going the exact speed limit, on single lane backroads if some one wants to do the exact speed limit its definitely their option and not much one can do about it.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
In Europe, the white "fog lines" on the right borders of roads are dashes with blank spaces every so often. (Rather than the solid white line we have here.)

The length of each white line is set to the speed on the road - the distance of each white line is how far you should be behind the vehicle in front of you!

Why can we do that sort of thing here? (I know, for the same reason they still install shower heads in bathrooms at the height of your nose! )
A few years ago Toronto painted traffic chevrons on the main highway from Oshawa to Toronto with the idea being you would keep a required number of chevrons between you and the car in front of you depending on your speed.Result? they were totally ignored and are no longer there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or