Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 07:15 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,427,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
The Lexus SC 300 model uses the N/A 3.0 2JZ-GE I-6 which is same engine from the 1992-2002 N/A MK IV Supra
anything can be bolted in.

I would have to look up the frame specs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 07:18 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_a49 View Post
anything can be bolted in.

I would have to look up the frame specs.
the 1991-00 Lexus SC 300 comes with the 3.0 L 2JZ-GE I6 from the factory

Old 12-02-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Diesel cars have not caught on in America have they? My neighbor does prefer a private seller too but sometimes it doesnt work out that way and we all end up having to go to a dealer.
a problem with a dealer, is you speak to a salesman who knows nothing of the cars history, the engine is washed, so you cannot see any leaks. The dealer is working for a profit and the salesman for his paycheck, you can avoid these.

As I said, a private party can lie, but at least you have the opportunity to evaluate it yourself.

Here in Washington, you buy a car as is. you have 72 hours to return it to the dealer, then it is yours.

This is usually not enough time to find any of the many tricks available to them.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
the 1991-00 Lexus SC 300 comes with the 3.0 L 2JZ-GE I6 from the factory
I understand, but it the 300 is a camery platform.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:27 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,546,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
You can use those criteria to search on autotrader website. Most Audi's are all wheel drive and 4 doors. Since you say he's elderly, have him buy a Porsche 911, be his last car and go out in style.
That would certainly get him some attention, but I do not want to think about him dying . I have always admired the looks of the 928 but many do not like that Porsche model for some reason. Do they only sell from dealers on autotrader?

Old 12-02-2014, 07:27 AM

ie

The PT cruiser, is a dodge Neon.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:28 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Trying to help my neighbor find a used car
When and where did he last see it?

Old 12-02-2014, 07:28 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
Quote:
Hi everyone. My neighbor's car recently broke down and he is in the market for another one. He did buy another used car just to have transportation, and while he does like it, the car is not what he really wanted. I would like to help him search for the car he really wants. I just need to know which ones to look for.

He is elderly and very knowledgeable about cars and he can haggle really well but he is not into the computer age at all. He does not own a computer or have anything to do with websites like craigslist or ebay motors. I would like to help him find a car by searching online but from the description of what he wants in a car it wont be easy. I need the advice of people who really know different makes and models of cars to help me.

He wants a rear wheel drive car with only two doors not four. He wants a low price, so not a car that costs major amounts of money . Probably nothing much older then say 1994 and not much newer than maybe 2005 . What cars fit that description?
I am amazed by how many people don't read or don't understand what is posted on these forums. Your neighbor wants a two door, RWD, and "not a car that costs major amounts of money". Since he supposedly knows cars, lets stop trying to tell him what he wants and use his own criteria for the search.

Please define the desired cost range for me and we can narrow the parameters pretty easily. Also need to know if the gentleman is willing to travel to get the car if it is not local to you and if so, how far? Also wonder if the import versus domestic argument comes into play here, since repair costs for some imports are higher and some of our seniors simply don't want to drive imports out of loyalty to US brands.

Initial suggestions include Lincoln Mark VIII or last generation Mercury Cougar if he likes domestic. A Monte Carlo is a good option to consider from Chevrolet if he likes the GM nameplates. The Buick Riviera is luxurious and less expensive to maintain than many of the luxury brands or imports. The Buick's 3.8L is very reliable for the most part as well.

The neighbor may want to look at a Camaro or Mustang if he doesn't mind a little sportier vehicle. Camaro, Corvette, and Mustang lovers should understand these are not generally popular with the "older" generation due to the sportiness of the ride and the seating position which is not as plush or comfy as some of the less sport minded models.

Import rear-wheel-drive possibilities include Lexus SC, and a few others but cost is likely to come into play as a factor. Back to needing that price range.

Also:
Rear wheel drive is preferred by many auto "purists" for the ride quality and handling while front wheel drive is considered easier and generally safer in snow or winter, particularly for inexperienced drivers.

Some Lexus models are merely plush versions of the Toyota brand, but some are truly different as pointed out. Need to know the difference before steering your neighbor wrong.

Dealers are not all evil, and many of the large dealer groups have access to multi-store inventory and professional buyers that can seek out specific cars for you. Find a sales person that has been at a location for a long time and has invested in their career, they are likely to assist you in the search and win you as a lifetime customer.

Autotrader.com should be your best friend as you search. Remember to look nationwide, as many cold weather climates will be selling rear wheel drive vehicles for less at this time of year. An inexpensive plane ticket and a road trip can save you thousands. I purchased three of my last four vehicles ~1,000 miles from home.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:29 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_a49 View Post
I understand, but it the 300 is a camery platform.
No you are thinking of the Toyota Camry based ES 300 not the RWD based SC300 two totally different platforms and models

Old 12-02-2014, 07:31 AM

Speaking of traveling for a car, a good place to go is a gambling town, Reno, Vegas.

Many people drive in and bus out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive