Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 07:32 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
No you are thinking of the Toyota Camry based ES 300 not the RWD based SC300 two totally different platforms and models
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 07:32 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,427,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
No you are thinking of the Toyota Camry based ES 300 not the RWD based SC300 two totally different platforms and models
I would have to check the spec books.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:50 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,546,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
I am amazed by how many people don't read or don't understand what is posted on these forums. Your neighbor wants a two door, RWD, and "not a car that costs major amounts of money". Since he supposedly knows cars, lets stop trying to tell him what he wants and use his own criteria for the search.

Please define the desired cost range for me and we can narrow the parameters pretty easily. Also need to know if the gentleman is willing to travel to get the car if it is not local to you and if so, how far? Also wonder if the import versus domestic argument comes into play here, since repair costs for some imports are higher and some of our seniors simply don't want to drive imports out of loyalty to US brands.

Initial suggestions include Lincoln Mark VIII or last generation Mercury Cougar if he likes domestic. A Monte Carlo is a good option to consider from Chevrolet if he likes the GM nameplates. The Buick Riviera is luxurious and less expensive to maintain than many of the luxury brands or imports. The Buick's 3.8L is very reliable for the most part as well.

The neighbor may want to look at a Camaro or Mustang if he doesn't mind a little sportier vehicle. Camaro, Corvette, and Mustang lovers should understand these are not generally popular with the "older" generation due to the sportiness of the ride and the seating position which is not as plush or comfy as some of the less sport minded models.

Import rear-wheel-drive possibilities include Lexus SC, and a few others but cost is likely to come into play as a factor. Back to needing that price range.

Also:
Rear wheel drive is preferred by many auto "purists" for the ride quality and handling while front wheel drive is considered easier and generally safer in snow or winter, particularly for inexperienced drivers.

Some Lexus models are merely plush versions of the Toyota brand, but some are truly different as pointed out. Need to know the difference before steering your neighbor wrong.

Dealers are not all evil, and many of the large dealer groups have access to multi-store inventory and professional buyers that can seek out specific cars for you. Find a sales person that has been at a location for a long time and has invested in their career, they are likely to assist you in the search and win you as a lifetime customer.

Autotrader.com should be your best friend as you search. Remember to look nationwide, as many cold weather climates will be selling rear wheel drive vehicles for less at this time of year. An inexpensive plane ticket and a road trip can save you thousands. I purchased three of my last four vehicles ~1,000 miles from home.

Thank you for the good advice it seems pretty spot on. He admires the sporty cars but may not actually be interested in owning one. The used car he recently bought is a 4 door bmw ( do not remember the year ) he bargained the man down to $2400 cash. He likes it but is still looking for what he really wants. It is pretty and runs well yet he thinks of it as only temporary. He does love American cars and for some reason ( maybe something about ww2 ) still doesnt really want to buy Japanese but maybe if I can show that at least part of the car is made in America he might change his mind. Not sure how high he will go for a car though I know he has the money lol.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:53 AM

Many Japanese cars are made in America.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_a49 View Post
Many Japanese cars are made in America.
Do you know which ones?

Old 12-02-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_a49 View Post
Speaking of traveling for a car, a good place to go is a gambling town, Reno, Vegas.

Many people drive in and bus out.
How did you know my neighbor enjoys gambling? He usually goes to Daytona now that he is in central Florida but also used to gamble when he lived in Miami.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Do you know which ones?

Japanese Branded Cars: Increasingly Made In America By Americans - Forbes

Old 12-02-2014, 08:30 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
Autotrader search of 2 door vehicles 1996 - 2005 with less than 60,000 miles for under $10,000 turns up 1300 vehicles. Many of course will be sports cars or pickup trucks, but there are some finds in there.

*Mercedes Benz of Orlando has a (black) 2005 Monte Carlo with only 56k for $7791
*Several Chrysler Crossfire, which I had not remembered earlier as an option. One at Lucky Line Motors in Fredricksburg, VA has 52k for $9995 - just as an example.
*Chrysler Sebring, including a convertible with only 53k for $6772 in Springfield, MO. that looks nice. Not a rear wheel drive though.
***A private seller in Sarasota has a 1996 Mercury Cougar with only 32,000 miles for $5,700 along with several more that are similar.
***Another private seller has a 1998 Lincoln Mark VIII with only 56k for $3800 (almost sounds too good to be true) in Charleston SC.

Lots of options. Neighbor just need to decide how much he wants to spend and how far is he willing to go and get something. Ask for a Carfax and a copy of the title before agreeing to anything so you can see if it has a history of rebuild, flood, or other branded issues on the title, and have fun looking.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:01 AM

That is good to know. I had thought they were doing more to become made in America

Old 12-02-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Autotrader search of 2 door vehicles 1996 - 2005 with less than 60,000 miles for under $10,000 turns up 1300 vehicles. Many of course will be sports cars or pickup trucks, but there are some finds in there.

*Mercedes Benz of Orlando has a (black) 2005 Monte Carlo with only 56k for $7791
*Several Chrysler Crossfire, which I had not remembered earlier as an option. One at Lucky Line Motors in Fredricksburg, VA has 52k for $9995 - just as an example.
*Chrysler Sebring, including a convertible with only 53k for $6772 in Springfield, MO. that looks nice. Not a rear wheel drive though.
***A private seller in Sarasota has a 1996 Mercury Cougar with only 32,000 miles for $5,700 along with several more that are similar.
***Another private seller has a 1998 Lincoln Mark VIII with only 56k for $3800 (almost sounds too good to be true) in Charleston SC.

Lots of options. Neighbor just need to decide how much he wants to spend and how far is he willing to go and get something. Ask for a Carfax and a copy of the title before agreeing to anything so you can see if it has a history of rebuild, flood, or other branded issues on the title, and have fun looking.

Thank you for the info I wrote the car make and models down. I do not know if he would be willing to travel far away to meet with a dealer but he has made it clear he wont meet with a private owner anywhere outside of the local area he is familiar with and knows really well, with large amounts of cash to buy a car in his pocket. I do agree with doing a vin# background check on a car but sometimes accidents do not show up on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive