U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 09:52 AM

3,502 posts, read 1,747,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
"Tune-ups" don't really exist these days.

Buying a used car without knowing the history, however, I'd just assume that nothing was done to it and re-do everything. I wouldn't have bought the car for that reason. So get out your owner's manual and look at all the services that were supposed to be done from 0 to 142,000 and do them. Obviously you don't need to do 15 oil changes, but you're still going to be looking at a lot of maintenance. The big one is the timing belt. Me, I'd assume the timing belt (and water pump) were not changed. But you're easily looking at $1,000 for that alone. You could have your mechanic look at it but that won't necessarily help any. If it was replaced when it was supposed to be, it's at this point five years old and going to look pretty old. On the other hand if you're driving around with a 13-year-old timing belt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
O, Ok! The oil was changed in June. Viewing carfax the car was well serviced by the dealer, but I couldn't find when the last tune-up was performed on the carfax.

Timing belt has been changed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 10:03 AM

8,711 posts, read 8,913,183 times
Quote:
Timing belt has been changed!
What about:

Spark Plugs
Trans fluid
Brake Fluid
Power Steering Fluid
Engine coolant
Air filter
Cabin filter (if equipped)

Old 12-02-2014, 10:09 AM

4,837 posts, read 9,233,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
The fluids could of just been done before he bought the car and the fluids could also be synthetic so driveing 6 months is ok between changes. Ask before you assume anything.
The OP said "I don't know when the last tune-up was done on the car." so I took that as he knew nothing of the car's maintenance history.

Anyways, the OP later says the car was serviced at the dealer. That means he can just go to the dealer and get all the maintenance records, then match it up to what the maintenance schedule to determine exactly what needs to be done. No need to ask here on the forums.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:51 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,635,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I don't even know what a tune-up is these days. Such a generic term.

Read up on the maintenance schedule for your car and find out the history of it. If no history than assume things weren't done.

Go to dealer or wherever you service your car and ask for specific procedures you want done on your car, not just a generic tune-up. As they will just go ahead and do everything (including the kitchen sink).

Ex spark plugs, tranny fluid, brake flush, etc.
No such word anymore no more 12,000 spark plug change no more points to be changed and no more timing to be checked and no more antifreeze replacement every year. Instead it's called service maintance.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
The OP said "I don't know when the last tune-up was done on the car." so I took that as he knew nothing of the car's maintenance history.

Anyways, the OP later says the car was serviced at the dealer. That means he can just go to the dealer and get all the maintenance records, then match it up to what the maintenance schedule to determine exactly what needs to be done. No need to ask here on the forums.

The carfax lists most of the service records.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
What about:

Spark Plugs
Trans fluid
Brake Fluid
Power Steering Fluid
Engine coolant
Air filter
Cabin filter (if equipped)

Will have checked also! Thanks!

Old 12-02-2014, 01:01 PM

11,352 posts, read 7,403,434 times
Lotsa good comments in this thread, I think.

FWIW, any time I buy a used car, I do everything to it. Just like I was going to send The Punkin across country in it.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:04 PM

4,837 posts, read 9,233,121 times
Quote:
The carfax lists most of the service records.
Not all service records make it to carfax, so if you want the complete history you can request it from the dealer based on the VIN.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:49 PM

2,085 posts, read 1,819,168 times
Wow! Instead of posting on a forum about a car that you bought and "I don't know when the last tune-up was done on the car" how about contacting the dealer and saying - "Hey, I bought this car and see you serviced it. Can I get a copy of the service records?"

Old 12-02-2014, 02:29 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,740 posts, read 39,621,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
"Tune-ups" don't really exist these days.

Buying a used car without knowing the history, however, I'd just assume that nothing was done to it and re-do everything. I wouldn't have bought the car for that reason. So get out your owner's manual and look at all the services that were supposed to be done from 0 to 142,000 and do them. Obviously you don't need to do 15 oil changes, but you're still going to be looking at a lot of maintenance. The big one is the timing belt. Me, I'd assume the timing belt (and water pump) were not changed. But you're easily looking at $1,000 for that alone. You could have your mechanic look at it but that won't necessarily help any. If it was replaced when it was supposed to be, it's at this point five years old and going to look pretty old. On the other hand if you're driving around with a 13-year-old timing belt...
I can't remember if mine was ever replaced. Unlikely I'm driving around with an 18 year old timing belt. A year and a half ago, I had some sorta engine tune up. Something about cleaning the valves, can't remember the details. Accompanied by a sparkplug change.

Never mind, my car has no timing belt, it has a timing chain. An internet forum says it's not meant to be replaced at regular intervals, but in theory will last the lifetime of the vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or