U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 06:19 PM

3,511 posts, read 1,753,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GSstage1 View Post
Many cars these days have platinum tipped spark plugs, there are good for about 50k miles. You might want to consider changing them if you are unsure of the last tune up. Adding BG 44k into the fuel tank will also remove carbon deposits from the valves and improve mileage and performance.

Where can I purchase this product?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 08:17 AM

2,600 posts, read 5,471,059 times
When do I need a tune up ???

Really !!!!!!

Do service department/mechanics have diagnostic equipment that can tell if a car needs a tune up ???

Really !!!!!!

Old 12-06-2014, 08:24 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,625,513 times
Look at the car's maintenance manual and talk with the garage that did the services. Bring the maintenance up to date and then keep maintaining the thing. Properly maintained these things should run for a very long time.

I have a 2003 Subaru Outback with only 94k miles. I just had the recommended work done. It included changing not only the timing belts (interference engine) but, at my request, all the associated pulleys and tensioners. I also had the water pump changed. It cost over $700 but as I intend to keep the car for another decade I feel the money is well spent.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:09 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,021,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Tune-ups don't really exist in this day and age. Spark plugs are really the only remaining ignition part that really wears out, and all the adjustments that used to be done manually (timing, dwell, air/fuel mixture, etc.) are now handled by sensors in conjunction with the computer.

Any good garage should have the proper diagnostic equipment to see if there might be a problem causing the poor fuel mileage.
Thank you for a well-informed reply.

My customers who want a "tune-up" receive a similar explanation.

Many who complain about poor mileage have never actually calculated their fuel mileage accurately.

A modern car is unlikely to have issues that will cause poor fuel mileage without triggering a "check engine" light.

Don in Austin

Old 12-06-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
I'm only concerned with a tune-up. Spark plugs, wires and etc. No fluids.
This car has no plug wires. It has 6 coils directly connected to each spark plug. The spark plugs are a maintenance item about every 100k miles. Unless worn or defective to the point of causing misfire -- which will trigger a "check engine" light -- the car can be expected to run exactly the same after spark plugs are replaced apart from placebo effect.

Asking a shop to perform a "tune-up" will result in one of two things:

From a reputable shop:
Questions as to what you actually expect to accomplish with a "tune-up." Also a review of the car's history to see if any maintenance items are due. This is how it is done at my shop. Some people appreciate this, some people don't. If you were to audit my shop's last 1000 repair orders, it is unlikely you would find a "tune-up" labor operation. We address specific needs and issues.

From a shop only concerned with profit: A list of "tune-up" services that will have only a placebo effect but will be highly profitable.

Have you scientifically calculated MPG? This should be the very first step.

I hope this was helpful.

Don in Austin

Don in Austin

Old 12-06-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Because of the age and high mileage I recommend: Replace ALL the fluids, replace the spark plugs and wires,
This car has no spark plug wires. Each spark plug has a directly connected ignition coil

Quote:
perhaps also replace all the filters (including the fuel filter) as well.
The fuel filter is not a maintenance according to Acura. The fuel filter is NOT a maintenance item on most if not all modern Honda/Acura products. As the owner of a shop that sees a lot of Honda/Acura cars I am trying to remember the last time one of them needed a fuel filter replacement and am drawing a blank. It could happen if grossly contaminated fuel was put in the tank. I have a vague memory of fuel leakage from a poorly performed fuel filter replacement or with a crappy part.

Don in Austin

Quote:
I'd check the tires and their air pressure as well.

I'm a big DIY type of guy and would buy a repair/service manual for your vehicle and just go to town inspecting, cleaning and replacing worn components.

You can present a printed list of things like this to a mechanic (I wouldn't just "mention these things" I would print them and present them lest things will get missed - more specifically all the hard to do things will be missed) and have them do the work but buyer beware.. you won't know what's really been done and how well unless you do it yourself (additionally, you pay mechanics per hour and likely will end up with a bill over $1k for parts and labor to do all the things I mentioned).

Items that influence fuel mileage of any vehicle can be found with simple searches online. Hopefully you don't have something bad going on in the vicinity of the cylinders themselves, but that could be the case for sure (and won't be positively affected by the above list of items).

Old 12-08-2014, 09:16 AM

6,034 posts, read 7,199,809 times
Spark plugs for Acura's are easily changed - $40-$50 bucks and 15 minutes of your time. Suggest you watch a youtube video first and get the right spark plug socket. Also use anti seize on the plugs.

Transmission - Honda's and Acuras need transmission drain and fill's every 30k miles or so. DO NOT FLUSH - service bulletins say a flush will damage these transmissions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or