Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 02:35 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I can't remember if mine was ever replaced. Unlikely I'm driving around with an 18 year old timing belt. A year and a half ago, I had some sorta engine tune up. Something about cleaning the valves, can't remember the details. Accompanied by a sparkplug change.
That would be a major repair, not a service. Sounds like they sprayed some Sea Foam in the intake and charged you for it. Or did nothing and charged you for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 03:09 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
That would be a major repair, not a service. Sounds like they sprayed some Sea Foam in the intake and charged you for it. Or did nothing and charged you for it.
It could have been a valve adjustment which is indeed a service and not a repair.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:13 PM

6,586 posts, read 4,970,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
O, Ok! The oil was changed in June. Viewing carfax the car was well serviced by the dealer, but I couldn't find when the last tune-up was performed on the carfax.
That was a fair assumption. I'd do a full service on any used car I bought, right away, if I couldn't prove when the last services had been done. It's cheap insurance to me (full disclaimer, I own an old car and do much of my own work).

Last edited by WouldLoveTo; 12-02-2014 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-02-2014, 06:20 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
You folks need to slow down just a little bit. The car in question is 12 years old, and has 142,000 miles on it. I am not saying it is ready for the bone heap, but it starts to fall into the category of a beater. You expect that there are going to be things which need attention.

How much money do you want to pour (literally) into a car of this age? You need to think about that before you start flushing this and changing out that. So far you guys have rattled off a few grand worth of stuff.

Sure, with proper care, the car can go another 100,000 miles in all likelihood, but slow down just a little.

OP, try to get the service records from the dealer where you believe the service was done. That will tell you a LOT about what sort of care the car has received.

As for the "tune up", the only thing that is really done any longer during a tune up is change the spark plugs. I didn't research your vehicle, but the plugs can go anywhere from 25,000 to 100,000 miles these days. As was stated, the rest of the "tune up" is done electronically as you drive the car.

Talk with the service manager where the car was originally cared for, and explain that you think it is consuming a little too much fuel, and could it be ready for the spark plugs to be changed? He can run a diagnostic and sort out any other little gremlins which might also be in there.

One by one, as you learn about other services which were done, or need to be done at this time, you can spread out each item in order to cushion your budget. A needy brake flush or coolant change or wheel alignment or transmission fluid change are not 'emergency' items. If they have gone 140,000 miles, they can go another few months.

Pick things off one at a time as you become informed, your budget permits, and you become aware of the need for service. No need to rush out and dump a few grand into a car that for all you know could be on its last legs. It would horrible to spend $3,000 (on a $5,000 car) doing all these things, only to find out that the motor is shot, the transmission needs rebuilding, or the complete suspension components need overhaul.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:44 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,856,922 times
Quote:
In June 2014, I purchased a 2002 Acura RL with 142,000 miles. I don't knowwhen the last tune-up was done on the car. The car runs fine, but it seems I’m not getting good gas mileage. Do service department/mechanics have diagnostic equipmentthat can tell if a car needs a tune up?

Just out of curiosity, what gas mileage are you getting? The '02 RLs are rated at 16 city/ 22 hwy.

Do you have a check-engine light on? The gas mileage will drop significantly if you have a clogged cat, or a faulty O2 sensor.

Having owned several Acuras in my past -- including an '02 RL -- I cannot stress enough the benefits to keeping your fluids fresh in these cars. I sold my '02 back in '12 with 187,000 on the odometer, and it ran perfectly. I still have an '01 Acura CL-S that is closing in on 250,000 miles. It's not uncommon for these cars to go well into the 300,000 mile range WITH proper maintenance.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:34 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,736,869 times
Many cars these days have platinum tipped spark plugs, there are good for about 50k miles. You might want to consider changing them if you are unsure of the last tune up. Adding BG 44k into the fuel tank will also remove carbon deposits from the valves and improve mileage and performance.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:45 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
You folks need to slow down just a little bit. The car in question is 12 years old, and has 142,000 miles on it. I am not saying it is ready for the bone heap, but it starts to fall into the category of a beater. You expect that there are going to be things which need attention.

How much money do you want to pour (literally) into a car of this age? You need to think about that before you start flushing this and changing out that. So far you guys have rattled off a few grand worth of stuff.

Sure, with proper care, the car can go another 100,000 miles in all likelihood, but slow down just a little.

OP, try to get the service records from the dealer where you believe the service was done. That will tell you a LOT about what sort of care the car has received.

As for the "tune up", the only thing that is really done any longer during a tune up is change the spark plugs. I didn't research your vehicle, but the plugs can go anywhere from 25,000 to 100,000 miles these days. As was stated, the rest of the "tune up" is done electronically as you drive the car.

Talk with the service manager where the car was originally cared for, and explain that you think it is consuming a little too much fuel, and could it be ready for the spark plugs to be changed? He can run a diagnostic and sort out any other little gremlins which might also be in there.

One by one, as you learn about other services which were done, or need to be done at this time, you can spread out each item in order to cushion your budget. A needy brake flush or coolant change or wheel alignment or transmission fluid change are not 'emergency' items. If they have gone 140,000 miles, they can go another few months.

Pick things off one at a time as you become informed, your budget permits, and you become aware of the need for service. No need to rush out and dump a few grand into a car that for all you know could be on its last legs. It would horrible to spend $3,000 (on a $5,000 car) doing all these things, only to find out that the motor is shot, the transmission needs rebuilding, or the complete suspension components need overhaul.

You pretty much assert the car is DOA with this one quip. That year Honda auto trans is garbage though the engine/chassis could very well go 300K with normal driving.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:39 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,326,602 times
Quote:
In June 2014, I purchased a 2002 Acura RL with 142,000 miles. I don't know when the last tune-up was done on the car. The car runs fine, but it seems I’m not getting good gas mileage. Do service department/mechanics have diagnostic equipment that can tell if a car needs a tune up?

Had the car serviced by the Acura dealership today. The Platinum spark plugs were installed, oil change and a complete vehicle inspection was performed. The only thing they found wrong with the car was a (third) brake light bulb had burned out. They said the car was in immaculate condition! They also said the Platinum spark plugs should be replaced after 100,000 miles! Thanks for your comments!

Old 12-05-2014, 09:08 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,124,870 times
Most car makers today say the spark plugs are good for 100,000 miles before changing them. Same as the antifreeze . Always check your manual for correct replacement miles.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:39 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,326,602 times
Here's photos of the car!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive