U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 09:32 AM

3,517 posts, read 1,754,342 times

Advertisements

In June 2014, I purchased a 2002 Acura RL with 142,000 miles. I don't knowwhen the last tune-up was done on the car. The car runs fine, but it seems I’m not getting good gas mileage. Do service department/mechanics have diagnostic equipmentthat can tell if a car needs a tune up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 09:38 AM

4,837 posts, read 9,255,889 times
You're kidding right? You bought a high mileage car and drove it 6 months without changing any fluids? Since you don't know the maintenance history you need to change all fluids on that car ASAP!

Old 12-02-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
You're kidding right? You bought a high mileage car and drove it 6 months without changing any fluids? Since you don't know the maintenance history you need to change all fluids on that car ASAP!
O, Ok! The oil was changed in June. Viewing carfax the car was well serviced by the dealer, but I couldn't find when the last tune-up was performed on the carfax.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:45 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,646,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
The fluids could of just been done before he bought the car and the fluids could also be synthetic so driveing 6 months is ok between changes. Ask before you assume anything.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:57 AM

4,430 posts, read 3,123,087 times
I don't even know what a tune-up is these days. Such a generic term.

Read up on the maintenance schedule for your car and find out the history of it. If no history than assume things weren't done.

Go to dealer or wherever you service your car and ask for specific procedures you want done on your car, not just a generic tune-up. As they will just go ahead and do everything (including the kitchen sink).

Ex spark plugs, tranny fluid, brake flush, etc.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I don't even know what a tune-up is these days. Such a generic term.

Read up on the maintenance schedule for your car and find out the history of it. If no history than assume things weren't done.

Go to dealer or wherever you service your car and ask for specific procedures you want done on your car, not just a generic tune-up. As they will just go ahead and do everything (including the kitchen sink).

Ex spark plugs, tranny fluid, brake flush, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
In June 2014, I purchased a 2002 Acura RL with 142,000 miles. I don't knowwhen the last tune-up was done on the car. The car runs fine, but it seems Im not getting good gas mileage. Do service department/mechanics have diagnostic equipmentthat can tell if a car needs a tune up?

I'm only concerned with a tune-up. Spark plugs, wires and etc. No fluids.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:23 AM

4,547 posts, read 11,566,294 times
Quote:
I'm only concerned with a tune-up. Spark plugs, wires and etc. No fluids.
I agree with the guy above. If you don't know when all the fluids were changed and you intend on keeping the car for a while I would check and/or change out all the fluids (coolant, transmission, brake etc.).

Old 12-02-2014, 10:26 AM

8,881 posts, read 15,676,669 times
Tune-ups don't really exist in this day and age. Spark plugs are really the only remaining ignition part that really wears out, and all the adjustments that used to be done manually (timing, dwell, air/fuel mixture, etc.) are now handled by sensors in conjunction with the computer.

Any good garage should have the proper diagnostic equipment to see if there might be a problem causing the poor fuel mileage.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:34 AM

2,775 posts, read 2,590,225 times
Quote:
In June 2014, I purchased a 2002 Acura RL with 142,000 miles. I don't knowwhen the last tune-up was done on the car. The car runs fine, but it seems Im not getting good gas mileage. Do service department/mechanics have diagnostic equipmentthat can tell if a car needs a tune up?
Because of the age and high mileage I recommend: Replace ALL the fluids, replace the spark plugs and wires, perhaps also replace all the filters (including the fuel filter) as well. I'd check the tires and their air pressure as well.

I'm a big DIY type of guy and would buy a repair/service manual for your vehicle and just go to town inspecting, cleaning and replacing worn components.

You can present a printed list of things like this to a mechanic (I wouldn't just "mention these things" I would print them and present them lest things will get missed - more specifically all the hard to do things will be missed) and have them do the work but buyer beware.. you won't know what's really been done and how well unless you do it yourself (additionally, you pay mechanics per hour and likely will end up with a bill over $1k for parts and labor to do all the things I mentioned).

Items that influence fuel mileage of any vehicle can be found with simple searches online. Hopefully you don't have something bad going on in the vicinity of the cylinders themselves, but that could be the case for sure (and won't be positively affected by the above list of items).

Old 12-02-2014, 10:42 AM

13,471 posts, read 15,084,793 times
"Tune-ups" don't really exist these days.

Buying a used car without knowing the history, however, I'd just assume that nothing was done to it and re-do everything. I wouldn't have bought the car for that reason. So get out your owner's manual and look at all the services that were supposed to be done from 0 to 142,000 and do them. Obviously you don't need to do 15 oil changes, but you're still going to be looking at a lot of maintenance. The big one is the timing belt. Me, I'd assume the timing belt (and water pump) were not changed. But you're easily looking at $1,000 for that alone. You could have your mechanic look at it but that won't necessarily help any. If it was replaced when it was supposed to be, it's at this point five years old and going to look pretty old. On the other hand if you're driving around with a 13-year-old timing belt...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or