U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 11:06 PM

105 posts, read 426,229 times

Advertisements

What are some ways to negotiate prices for a car, especially ones that have been on the lot for more than a month. I'm looking at BMW 3-Series, both certified and non-certified. One in particular that I really like is 33.9k CPO with 42k miles but it's been on their website for around 100 days. Would I be able to negotiate down to 28k (cargurus says it's 4100 over priced)? These cars are stick by the way. What do you guys do to negotiate cars? Could I say that I know that they've had these cars for a while, and the cars are stick shift (plus it's winter [in the case of the non awd BMW that I'm looking at]). Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by CLIK92; 12-02-2014 at 11:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 11:17 PM

2,444 posts, read 1,737,600 times
No one knows except the dealer because only the dealer knows how much money they have in the car and what they are willing to do on pricing to move the car. All you can do is ask, and the worst that can happen is they say no.

Are you going to be able to get $6,000 off? Probably not. But maybe.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:11 AM

492 posts, read 538,469 times
If you know what you are willing to pay for the car, offer the dealer that amount. Plain and simple. They will be much more interested in what you are willing to pay than why you are willing to pay it.

CPO used cars are commoditized goods with finite values, just like new cars. Most dealers recognize this and post reasonable "market" prices online, even if the sticker on the car is much higher. I would suggest doing a nationwide search on Autotrader for cars of the same year, trim level, mileage etc. to see what other sellers are asking for them. You may need to include automatics for lack of comps... This should give you a good idea of what to pay.

Call them and start talking numbers. I find negotiating over the phone to be preferable to buying in person. BMW dealers are used to this. Most recently, I did a long distance trade-in with a BMW dealer for a CPO (also with a manual transmission) last year. We hammered out the sales price and trade in value over the phone from 1000 miles away.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:11 AM

7,475 posts, read 19,600,176 times
Have you seen the car? Many times dealers will advertise a sweet deal that doesn't exist any longer just to bring people in. If the car is super desirable it may have been sold long ago.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:39 AM

886 posts, read 4,570,358 times
Go in there flat out tell them this is what I am willing to pay here is a check take it or leave it and be prepared to walk out. If they can sell it for that they will call you back

Old 12-03-2014, 06:31 AM

470 posts, read 1,201,203 times
The worst you can do is make an offer and have it rejected. Then you move on. If your target is 28K offer 27k.

There is a dealership near me that has 2 identical 2013 Fusions for sale. Both are still brand new with 0 miles. Now that the 2015s are out they still have them and thy aren't moving. I offered 10k below MSRP becasue that is what the used 2013s with 100 miles were book valued at. There are no rebates and no financing offers on the 2013s anymore. They will have them and probably will for a long time.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:56 AM

9,010 posts, read 14,234,390 times
I do not think there is any real trick here.

Just go in, look the car over, and if you still think it is worth buying give them an offer. Especially on used cars, what the dealer may take for it could be very fluid. As was mentioned above, it depends what the dealer has into the car. How much they gave on trade or paid at auction for it, whether they did any maintenance for it to pass inspection (brakes, etc), and how desperate they may be to move that particular car.

Generally, my "negotiating" tactic is to walk into a dealer knowing the most I will spend for a particular car, and a figure below that which I will shoot for. I think you probably have done your research and have this in mind.

Doing this, I find there is not much negotiating. Either the dealer will work and try to bring me up more, or flat out be like (no, thats not going to happen). I can usually tell if I can work them down, or if my offer is just below what they are willing to take. It is in their language (both spoken, and non verbal).

If they do not hit my max price, I walk. Sometimes, this will result in a call a couple days later with a better offer (or matching my price), or I never hear back.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:15 AM

33,184 posts, read 39,183,307 times
Research is your best option, decide what car you want, find out the best price in town, go to the dealer and offer that best price minus 10%,that 10% is your room for negotiating. Be prepared to walk out on any deal if its not to your liking.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:59 AM

2,085 posts, read 1,827,984 times
I don't know about NJ but many states with consumer protection laws have a great little tool - the window disclosure. In WI we had them and the date the vehicle was inspected by the dealer was included on the bottom, where the technician that did the inspection signed it. I used this as a tool for negotiation if the vehicle was over 90 days in their inventory. Also used it as a tool to get an offer out of people sometimes when I sold.

As stated, do your research. Although nationwide may be a challenge since prices can vary significantly by region and being winter, you should be lower priced on a "performance" vehicle than southern regions. Anyway, get the averages, know what you are willing to pay, and then go make an offer. Be prepared to walk if you cannot get the deal you want. If they get really close, then decide if it is worth an extra couple bucks to get the car you really want to have. Remember, always work within your budget, but if they are within $1,000 on a good used car that you like and want to own, that amounts to $20-25 per month if finance or calculated over the next 4 - 5 years which you own the vehicle. Don't walk from a good deal just because it isn't "your" price if it is within your budget.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,479 posts, read 50,762,099 times
Regardless of how long it's been on the lot, they are not going to give you a huge discount unless they are hungry. If they have been selling plenty of other cars, having one remain unsold a long time is not a big deal. Just offer what it's worth to you and if they don't accept it walk away. You might also consider that there's probably a reason it's been there so long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or