U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 07:54 PM

3,139 posts, read 6,926,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Old cars held their integrity well enough in crashes, but did not transfer energy properly to the occupants. You were often better off being ejected.

Exactly what planet on you living on? I am impressed you have internet.

It must be one with zero gravity.

Your statement is like this.

You have two choices. You can jump off this cliff. Or we could push you off this cliff buckled into this antique car.

I will try my luck being belted into a car....any car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 08:15 PM

7,542 posts, read 8,101,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Here's an unusual story you don't see very often. Two people on a holiday outing in an antique car were killed when the car was broadsided on he highway in south Texas.

https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/new...model-vehicle/
My great uncle died in an antique car wreck back in 1925. Of course antique vehicles were all they had back then.

I never met him, he died considerably before I was born.

The old school cars weren't as safe as a lot of people think.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:04 PM

2,675 posts, read 2,834,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
That is true...IF you live in a land where the roads and the roadsides are completely covered with Tempurpedic mattresses and sofa cushions, where there is no broken glass or other debris on the road surface, where there are no steel guardrails adjoining the road, and where there is no other traffic to run over you after you are ejected. And, of course, the initial injuries from being thrown through a shattered window aren't exactly much fun.

Even if you manage to survive ejection with "only" compound fractures plus severe abrasions & contusions as a result of impacting and then sliding along the pavement, the 18-wheeler bearing down on you just might finish you off.

Where did this myth about it being "better to be ejected" come from?

IIRC it was popularized by folks objecting to proposed mandatory seat belt use ...(do you remember that?)

Old 12-04-2014, 02:00 AM

13,714 posts, read 13,602,751 times
The driver I saw killed was not better off being ejected.

First he hit the barrier and secondly his own car landed on him.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:05 AM

13,610 posts, read 16,147,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
IIRC it was popularized by folks objecting to proposed mandatory seat belt use ...(do you remember that?)
Yup!
I definitely remember those Luddites who essentially created their own versions of both physics and human physiology in order to justify their irrational fear of seatbelts.

I had an aunt (now deceased) who took a steak knife and cut the seat belts out of her brand new 1971 Chevy. When I asked her why she did such a thing, her philosophy was as follows:
Just having them there annoys me, and if I did use them...What would happen in the event of a crash and a vehicle fire if my hands were injured and I was unable to open the seat belt? Then I would be incinerated in the burning car!

My response to my aunt was...But if your hands were injured, then you would also be unable to operate the door handle, and you would be stuck in the burning car anyway!

She looked at me, clearly realized that her reasoning was fatally flawed, and simply said, Stop being impertinent!

Old 12-04-2014, 08:11 AM

8,088 posts, read 7,343,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Here's an unusual story you don't see very often. Two people on a holiday outing in an antique car were killed when the car was broadsided on he highway in south Texas.

https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/new...model-vehicle/
Incident occurred on/about 650pm. Sunset is currently 530pm in Victoria, TX. I would not be out in a car like that during poor visibility.

I noticed the windshield is laminated. I thought those old cars only had annealed glass, not even tempered, for the windshields.

Last edited by Felix C; 12-04-2014 at 08:24 AM..

Old 12-04-2014, 08:11 AM

8,387 posts, read 5,061,703 times
The Ford looks like it didn't do too badly. If they had retrofitted seatbelts, they might have survived. RIP.

These things come to mind when I think about buying older cars for hobby.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:37 AM

9,041 posts, read 7,126,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Incident occurred on/about 650pm. Sunset is currently 530pm in Victoria, TX. I would not be out in a car like that during poor visibility.

I noticed the windshield is laminated. I thought those old cars only had annealed glass, not even tempered, for the windshields.
It has been around a lot longer than you think:

The History of Automotive Glass - HowStuffWorks

Old 12-04-2014, 08:49 AM

9,041 posts, read 7,126,656 times
Y'know, looking at the Model A, even if they had installed seats belts they might have been killed.
Actually, reading about what happened, there is a very good chance that if they had been in my '06 PT Cruiser Convertible, with seat belts/shoulder harnesses/air bags, etc. they might have been killed. I bet the PT would look a lot worse than that A does!
Instead of ragging on the Model A, the world might be better served if people would DEMAND that something be done about that intersection! It sounds like that place is quite literally a KILLER!
Read the comments after the article!

Old 12-04-2014, 09:43 AM

8,088 posts, read 7,343,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
It has been around a lot longer than you think:

The History of Automotive Glass - HowStuffWorks
Thanks. I recall I read that from a bit on McNamara when he went to work at Ford. Hagiography for the loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or