U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 11:54 AM

8,388 posts, read 5,083,038 times

Advertisements

Even if the cars did not come with safety glass, it is easy to retrofit. And I would do that no matter how "not original" it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 11:59 AM

9,310 posts, read 25,754,578 times
Regardless of the vehicles involved . . . extremely sad.

If there is a "bright side" . . . at least they died doing what they enjoy doing and died quickly with minimum pain as possible.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:55 PM

8,881 posts, read 15,722,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Where did this myth about it being "better to be ejected" come from?
Flight school, maybe?

Old 12-04-2014, 03:37 PM

284 posts, read 326,249 times
My thoughts on the accident:

1) As pointed out above, it was likely dark and cars of that era have very dim lights compared with moderns. The sooner you can see the car the sooner you brake and start slowing down.
2) Speed limit is 70mph, you would be lucky to survive being hit at that speed in any car. Of course we don't know how much the other car had slowed.
3) The old Ford has very little power to accelerate through the intersection and out of the way, so exposure to danger is longer.
4) Modern cars absorb the energy of the impact, and do NOT transfer it to the occupants. The old Ford still looks ok because it does not have crush zones to absorb the impact.

I own a 50 year old sports car for pleasure driving, mostly in the daytime. It has disc brakes (standard equipment), modern tires, universal joints in the steering column so it will be deflected in a frontal collision, burst proof door locks and seat belts. Not much compared with a modern car, but a lot more than a 1928 Model A. I feel pretty safe, safer than on a motorcycle, for example.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:35 PM

13,625 posts, read 16,192,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezerrunner View Post
Modern cars absorb the energy of the impact, and do NOT transfer it to the occupants. The old Ford still looks ok because it does not have crush zones to absorb the impact.
Exactly!
When people look at the limited body damage on older cars--as compared to modern ones--they are ignoring the reality that modern cars are designed to absorb the forces that are transmitted to passengers in older, unyielding vehicles. Ergo--substantial damage to a modern vehicle's structure, and much less damage to the occupants.

I don't know about the Luddites who mistakenly believe that everything was better in the old days, but I would rather have a completely wrecked new car that I can walk away from, rather than putting my relatives in the position of having to plan for both my funeral and how to restore my moderately-damaged old car.

Last edited by Retriever; 12-04-2014 at 05:02 PM..

Old 12-04-2014, 05:45 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,337,371 times
One has to realize that civilian safety measures have advanced as much as race cars over all. Steering shafts ;cushion dashes;energy dissipation etc.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:18 PM

375 posts, read 317,494 times
Sad story, but I am always scared to see people out riding around in these old cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or