Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 10:03 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,750 times

Advertisements

Chevrolet gets a feather in their cap for the moment. Lets see if the American consumers agree when it comes time to buy. the Colorado edged out the new F150 for Truck of the Year honors from Motor Trend.

Who thinks the Colorado will sell this time around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 10:11 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
The Colorado appears to be a nice entry into a rather limited, niche truck market which most manufacturers have long since abandoned. I am sure they will sell decently well. Their biggest problem, and the problem in this segment, is that these Trucks end up not appear to be as good of a value as full size trucks at the end of the day and their sales suffer accordingly.

The F-150 is the top selling vehicle in the country. I expect it to continue.

I doubt the two will be cross shopped much.

Motor Trend's OTY awards are more about marketing packages than which truck is really "best" or even "good" anyway.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:37 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post

Motor Trend's OTY awards are more about marketing packages than which truck is really "best" or even "good" anyway.

Motor Trend TOTY awards are garbage. How can they give a vehicle that was just released and already been recalled with no history on it, the TOTY?

Old 12-03-2014, 12:42 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Its a very questionable win, but it seems like the Colorado is on the right track, and EONS better than the previous one. Id still take the F-150 any day over the Colorado, but thats just me.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Motor Trend TOTY awards are garbage. How can they give a vehicle that was just released and already been recalled with no history on it, the TOTY?
Agreed.

I am not one to name drop, so I won't, but I know some folks within the engineering ranks of the auto industry. They contend that to "win" the OTY awards automakers have to submit to MT the "winning" marketing plan, showing just how often, how big, and how many places the automaker will have the golden caliper award in their own marketing. Basically, MT wants to know that the automaker will push their award properly and prominently. Kind of a symbiotic relationship of sorts. (You market me, I market you).

To me, this doesn't give much analytical legitimacy to the award or the criteria for it's win. To be honest, although they contend the criteria remains the same, which aspects are focused on is highly dependent on the vehicle. (Afford-ability, step forward or significance in the marketplace, etc etc).

In this test, I find it hard to fathom how a niche market small truck, no matter how good, is more significant to the market than a ground up redesign (in aluminum) of the single best selling vehicle in the country.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:58 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
I saw where they did a comparison between the Colorado and the Tacoma, and gave the nod to the Colorado. The only real complaint I read about was that the 6 speed auto tends to downshift and upshift a lot.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I saw where they did a comparison between the Colorado and the Tacoma, and gave the nod to the Colorado. The only real complaint I read about was that the 6 speed auto tends to downshift and upshift a lot.
I would hope the brand new Colorado would win this. The Tacoma is ten years into it's current generation!

Old 12-03-2014, 03:03 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I would hope the brand new Colorado would win this. The Tacoma is ten years into it's current generation!
Anything beats the Tacoma in my book, except maybe the horrid Frontier. I couldnt stand driving either of those trucks. Cramped, slow, thirsty, cheap-feeling, expensive... I couldnt possibly see how the new Colorado (even in lowest trim level) could be nearly as bad. The last Colorado? Yes. New one? No.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:45 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,126,271 times
You are talking a mid size to a full size pick up truck. The Colorado is GM's old S0 or Fords Ranger the Colorado has no V8 option. Put the 2 side by side in a pulling demo. See who comes out ahead. You are comparing apples to oranges. Sure the colorado is nice but it's a mid size pickup and the F150 is a full size truck.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:01 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
You are talking a mid size to a full size pick up truck. The Colorado is GM's old S0 or Fords Ranger the Colorado has no V8 option. Put the 2 side by side in a pulling demo. See who comes out ahead. You are comparing apples to oranges. Sure the colorado is nice but it's a mid size pickup and the F150 is a full size truck.
no I believe the last generation Colorado had a 5.3 liter Vortec V-8 option out of the Hummer H3 Alpha but it was more to compete with the Dodge Dakota then their 1/2-ton full size counter parts... the Colorado like the Dakota kind of bridged the gap between a Compact PU and a Full-size PU truck in the mid-late 00's..Problem is the base V6 Ford F150 and Chevy Silverado will be more capable in terms of payload and have alot more room and actually might sell for less $$$

The Vortec 5300 LH8 is a variant of the 5.3 L Gen IV small block V8 modified to fit in the engine bay of the GMT 345 SUV and GMT 355 trucks. It produces 300 hp (220 kW) at 5200 rpm and 320 lb·ft (434 N·m) at 4000 rpm. It has a displacement of 5,328 cc (325.1 cu in).

LH8 applications:The Generation IV Vortec 5300 engines are truck engines that share all the improvements and refinements found in other Generation IV engines. At present, four versions of the 5300 are in production: two iron block versions (LY5 and LMG) and two aluminum block versions (LH6 and LC9). All versions feature the Active Fuel Management system, and starting with MY 2010, variable valve timing (engine RPO codes stayed the same).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive