Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2014, 08:34 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,569,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Understood, but many talk about the resale value. Isn't that sort of a catch 22 ? A pre owned base model Focus will be harder to sell than one optioned out.
Not if you plan on owning it for 10+ years which many of these types of buyers do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 09:00 AM

29,433 posts, read 14,618,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Well if you are frugal and view a car as just a transporation device than you don't worry about resale value or features.

Buy once new and drive till wheels fall off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Not if you plan on owning it for 10+ years which many of these types of buyers do.
I've seen so many contridictions in this thread...

I've been saying all along, buy new (if you can afford it) if you plan on driving it 10 plus years. Resale, depreciation whatever is irrelevent. That being said , if you plan on driving a vehicle 10 plus years you might as well buy as much vehicle as you can afford , meaning not the base model. You can't tell me that those that just use a vehicle as a tool won't enjoy more comfortable seats, power windows or some other (not all ) options. Myself personally don't care about Navigation systems , self parking, and rear cameras (unless in a truck).

Now everything I've said is completely different if you really struggling to get by.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:09 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,570,971 times
Quote:

I've been saying all along, buy new (if you can afford it) if you plan on driving it 10 plus years. Resale, depreciation whatever is irrelevent. That being said , if you plan on driving a vehicle 10 plus years you might as well buy as much vehicle as you can afford , meaning not the base model. You can't tell me that those that just use a vehicle as a tool won't enjoy more comfortable seats, power windows or some other (not all ) options. Myself personally don't care about Navigation systems , self parking, and rear cameras (unless in a truck).

Now everything I've said is completely different if you really struggling to get by.
Depreciation is NOT irrelevant.

High depreciation means that there is high potential for savings by buying used instead of new.

Low depreciation means buying new is not a huge waste compared to buying used.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:35 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,026 times
Quote:

Case by case basis. Base models still give you power steering/windows/locks and AC (at least most models)

This is USUALLY enough for MOST frugal buyers. YMMV

Add-ons such as leather seats, power seats, adaptive cruise control, navigation, heated seats are comfort features that frugal shoppers may or may not care about.

Look at Hyundai/Kia, many of their standard features are add-ons from other manufacturers (heated and cooled seats I believe)

Old 12-08-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Depreciation is NOT irrelevant.

High depreciation means that there is high potential for savings by buying used instead of new.

Low depreciation means buying new is not a huge waste compared to buying used.
Personally I think there is much more to it than your blanket statement. You have to factor in type of vehicle , miles you drive a year, do you maintain it or pay someone else...etc.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Case by case basis. Base models still give you power steering/windows/locks and AC (at least most models)

This is USUALLY enough for MOST frugal buyers. YMMV

Add-ons such as leather seats, power seats, adaptive cruise control, navigation, heated seats are comfort features that frugal shoppers may or may not care about.

Look at Hyundai/Kia, many of their standard features are add-ons from other manufacturers (heated and cooled seats I believe)
Nowaday's Bluetooth and reverse camera are standard on most base models. 5yrs ago those were add on options. I got my fiancé a 2014 Honda civic ex which is only one step up from base and it came equipped with a 7" touchscreen radio, reverse and turning camera, moonroof and Bluetooth connectivity. Not bad for $23k. With today's smartphones, navigation isn't worth splurging for on a car.

Last edited by louie0406; 12-08-2014 at 10:47 AM..

Old 12-08-2014, 10:49 AM

I guess it also depends on what tier vehicle you are getting. Econo, luxury, sport.. whatever the classes may be.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Nowaday's Bluetooth and reverse camera are standard on most base models. 5yrs ago those were add on options. I got my fiancé a 2014 Honda civic ex which is only one step up from base and it came equipped with a 7" touchscreen radio, reverse and turning camera, moonroof and Bluetooth connectivity. Not bad for $23k. With today's smartphones, navigation isn't worth splurging for on a car.
I think navigation is still useful in the sense it is "always on". You can instantly look at it and see if the next cross streets or if there is an immediate detour available ahead.

It's a pain to take out my phone many times as I usually drive alone and need a place to mount it.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I think navigation is still useful in the sense it is "always on". You can instantly look at it and see if the next cross streets or if there is an immediate detour available ahead.

It's a pain to take out my phone many times as I usually drive alone and need a place to mount it.
But is it worth the extra $2000? Especially when you already have it for free on your smartphone?

Old 12-08-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
But is it worth the extra $2000? Especially when you already have it for free on your smartphone?
No, but it usually comes as a package and is available if you opt for memory seats, rear view, etc

For the record I do not have navigation on any of my cars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive