Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 12:47 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,730,843 times

Advertisements

Last week went to get some snow tires. I have a second set of rims so snow tires would be mounted on that second set and would still have summer tires on OEM rims.

Discount Tire would not mount the snow tires on the second set (a set that does NOT have TPMS sensors). Legally they would have to take the working TPMS sensors from my OEM rims and use them on my snow tire set.

I told them I didn't want this. For me it was ok to have no TPMS on snow tires.

So I just told them to put the snow tires on second rim and I'll come pick them up. They would NOT mount the snow tires on my car without TPMS.

I know I did this exact thing on a different car a few years ago and there was no issue.

Guess things have changed. Not sure if they wanted to just sell me their set ($60 x 4, yeah right) or being anal about things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 12:52 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,730 times
Liability and too many lawyers strikes again. If they mount the tires on rims with no TPMS and you crash the car after a flat tire, they fear you are going to get a lawyer and sue them for putting the tires on without the sensors.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:59 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,018,343 times
after moving back north recently, i called a Discount Tire shop looking for snowies for our 'stang and that i'd be putting them on the stock wheels as we intend to run different wheels/tires up here in summer. They gave me the cost if they'd re-do the sensors but also suggested i could just skip that part if i didnt mind the light on all winter. That response surprised me a bit, but as i actually got the best deal at an area Ford garage i didnt pursue it.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:04 PM

132 posts, read 149,404 times
This is new in the past couple of years. 2 years ago I bought a set of snow tires/wheels from tirerack and had no issues ordering without the sensors.

This year, my buddy was ordering a winter set up from tirerack and could not order online without sensors so he ordered by phone. When he said he didn't want the TPMS sensors they told him "You can't tell us that, tell us you will have them installed at your local shop"

Old 12-01-2014, 01:10 PM

I ordered two sets of snow tires that day. Had to mount two cars in my garage that day.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:22 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Last week went to get some snow tires. I have a second set of rims so snow tires would be mounted on that second set and would still have summer tires on OEM rims.

Discount Tire would not mount the snow tires on the second set (a set that does NOT have TPMS sensors). Legally they would have to take the working TPMS sensors from my OEM rims and use them on my snow tire set.

So I just told them to put the snow tires on second rim and I'll come pick them up. They would NOT mount the snow tires on my car without TPMS.

I know I did this exact thing on a different car a few years ago and there was no issue.

Guess things have changed. Not sure if they wanted to just sell me their set ($60 x 4, yeah right) or being anal about things.
Why should just take the liability risk; plain and simple. Just as more and more will not fix flats now days. If you have hazard then Wal Mart last I knew just gave you a new replacement. No flats fixed.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Why should just take the liability risk; plain and simple. Just as more and more will not fix flats now days. If you have hazard then Wal Mart last I knew just gave you a new replacement. No flats fixed.
This is news to me. But at this rate I don't doubt it.

Discount Tire did fix my flat just a year ago. Not sure about now

Old 12-01-2014, 01:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post

Repair shops are prohibited by federal law from knowingly installing rims without TMPS sensors (or non-functioning TPMS sensor) on a car equipped with TPMS. The way I got around this was to have the tires mounted on the rims by the shop I bought the tires from, then brought the tire/wheel set to a different shop and had them mount 'em on my car in a sort of "don't ask/don't tell" arrangement. It takes about 10 or so miles for my car's TPMS system to recognize the sensors aren't there, so whatever shop mounts my winter set each year are none the wiser.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Repair shops are prohibited by federal law from knowingly installing rims without TMPS sensors (or non-functioning TPMS sensor) on a car equipped with TPMS. The way I got around this was to have the tires mounted on the rims by the shop I bought the tires from, then brought the tire/wheel set to a different shop and had them mount 'em on my car in a sort of "don't ask/don't tell" arrangement. It takes about 10 or so miles for my car's TPMS system to recognize the sensors aren't there, so whatever shop mounts my winter set each year are none the wiser.
Yeah, I just mounted them on myself. I guess it's better this way since I do use a torque wrench and go by mfg specs. I would imagine most of these shops just use an impact wrench and probably torquing over 100 lbs.

I learned my lesson years ago by using a breaker bar to mount my tires. I probably put in over 150 lbs of pressure. I'm pretty sure it warped my rotors. Car never really drove right.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
So first shop ,second shop and you divided the responsibility if you kill someone in civil suit. To save a few bucks. No thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive