U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 02:00 PM

13,720 posts, read 24,632,366 times

Advertisements

If the owners manual had not said every 6 months, I would have said at least once a year with that amount of mileage. But Toyota wrote it that way for a reason. Follow the manual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 02:14 PM

3,194 posts, read 4,241,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I'm surprised it says to change it every 6 months regardless of mileage. Most cars require it changed every 12 months regardless of mileage. But if the manual says it, then that's what I would do.
I venture to guess it said 6 months/5k miles, whichever comes first.

But doing it every 6 months shouldn't hurt your pocket book. In fact, I'm sure if you get on your local Toyota dealerships mailing list, they'll send you coupons for oil changes at a discount. That way, you're getting it done with a discount and it's kept in a log in case you have warranty left.

For a Corolla, I don't think it's but 5 quarts of oil if not just 4, shouldn't cost too much, maybe $25-30.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:18 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,639,969 times
Use synthetic change twice a year.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:26 PM

9,004 posts, read 7,093,644 times
Do you HAVE to?
No!
Should you?
To be perfectly honest, I spent my entire life with a wrench in my hand, and I don't know.
Long ago, I knew a Marine Sergeant who had a 10 year old Buick. He claimed he had never changed the oil, just changed the filter every 3000 miles and added a quart. Was he telling the truth? I really don't know.
However, I do know that I have had several vehicles that did not get the oil changed even once a year. One of them had a diesel engine, and it had 276,000 miles on it when I gave it away. It was still going strong. Of course, none of those vehicles had any warranty left. If there is a warranty, follow the instructions to the letter.
Sorry I can't answer your question. It is your vehicle, and your decision.
Good luck.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:42 PM

8,867 posts, read 7,350,424 times
I'm old school and change my oil every 3 months. Old way was 3 months or 3,000 miles, whichever comes first. I reach 3 months before I reach 3,000 miles. I set up email calender reminders when it's due. If I miss it by a few weeks or month, I don't sweat it. I also rotate my tires every other oil change. I live in hot & humid south Louisiana. Oil change isn't a big deal. Different types of oil breaks down in viscosity at different rates. Loss of viscosity is loss of lubrication. That break down in oil can leave deposits within the engine. Changing the oil on a set schedule and using a higher grade type/brand oil will help to prevent those deposits, ensure good lubrication, and extend the life of the engine.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:45 PM

What if I never changed the oil in my car? - HowStuffWorks

Old 12-04-2014, 02:49 PM

Saturn Rental Car Never Gets Oil Change, Engine Carnage Ensues After 30,000 Miles

Old 12-04-2014, 04:53 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,823,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Do you HAVE to?
No!
Should you?
To be perfectly honest, I spent my entire life with a wrench in my hand, and I don't know.
Long ago, I knew a Marine Sergeant who had a 10 year old Buick. He claimed he had never changed the oil, just changed the filter every 3000 miles and added a quart. Was he telling the truth? I really don't know.
However, I do know that I have had several vehicles that did not get the oil changed even once a year. One of them had a diesel engine, and it had 276,000 miles on it when I gave it away. It was still going strong. Of course, none of those vehicles had any warranty left. If there is a warranty, follow the instructions to the letter.
Sorry I can't answer your question. It is your vehicle, and your decision.
Good luck.
I've heard the story of guys who never changed the oil. One, to be exact. And it was second hand when I heard it, thus has moved to legend status by the time I'm reposting it decades later. This was an early-1980s JPN something car.

Personally, I'd believe it happened. But that's because, like you, I've never...not once... seen a street car engine failure ((directly attributable to oil-lubrication failure)). Now, you're a guy who works on engines and I'm just a garage weekend mechanic...or more properly, "used to be". What I have seen in destroyed engines, car and motorcycle:

Loss of oil pressure? Yep.
Loss of coolant? Yep.
Thrown rod? Yep.

Not the same thing...the first was starvation, second heat-death, and third bad metallurgy right from the manufacturer. In fact, Porsche just recalled c. 780 2014 GT3s...and replaced every last engine, in-toto...because two (2) burned to the ground after catching fire due to blown engines. Turned out to be a bad rod-bolt, "I think".

Not to be confused with oil failure, though: Doesn't mean it "can't" happen, and "hasn't", but that's the thing. Who knows?

When I RACED motorcycles and was part of teams tearing engines down to the transmission, we had an entirely different perspective! As for cars: guys in Top Fuel, F1, and similar? Man, they're on an entirely different continuum than us schlubs in passenger cars.

What I consider "high performance" in a car is 100hp per liter of engine displacement. Modern motorcycles can make 150hp/liter easily, usually on 1.0 liter or less displacement engines. F1 cars are putting out what, 200-300hp per liter? New Porsche 991 Turbo S puts about 560hp to ground from a 3.6 (or 3.8) liter twin turbo engine with 1.0 bar boost, 1.2 bar (17psi) on overboost, and warrantying it(!). That tells you a LOT about how far materials tech has come past 20-30 years. I remember when I was a kid, 14psi boost on a stock engine was asking for it to self-destruct in a cloud of piston rings and crank bearings. Not any more.

The fluids they use, though, are also an evolving tech.

Thus, today I use what would sound to some a rather-exotic synthetic oil (Motul) in my Porsche 996 Turbo. Because, as mentioned in an earlier thread, the guys who tear them down to the transmission recommend it...no better or worse reason.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:26 PM
gg

16,969 posts, read 17,200,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliatenn View Post
I have 09 Toyota Corolla, in the manual it says to change oil every 5k miles or 6 months. I barely drive, so I might only do 2k miles every 6 months. Do I have to change the oil that often, or is it not as necessary? And if I change the oil once a year, would it be bad?
Total BS. You do not have to change the oil every 6 months. Do it at the 5K.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:41 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,356,276 times
You could change the oil at 6 months and rebottle your old oil and sell it on Craig's List as "low mileage oil." Only 2k on it. Someone would buy it.

You could do like Red Green and change the oil and put back in the oil you took out last time. Just gave it a breather.

I would not change it at 6 months. Have let vehicles go much, much longer than that with no engine problems whatsoever. Have seen tractors go a very long time without oil changes. Had a neighbor in his 90's and changing the oil was not the secret to his long life. He had not changed the oil in his tractors for years. He changed the oil once in his car in a period of about 7 years. He finally changed his air filter and his gas mileage went way up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or