U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 05:28 PM

3,000 posts, read 4,905,574 times

Advertisements

I can only think of a couple of dealers in my area that had (don't know if that's still the case) all of their new vehicle inventory behind a locked fence after hours. I've seen several that only keep some vehicles behind the fence. In either case, I think most, if not all have on-site after-hours security personnel on duty. They usually don't bother anybody out there browsing, but I did have one co-worker several years ago that told me a security guard at one of the local dealerships ran him off, when he was browsing one evening, after closing time. The biggest problem I've encountered with after-hours browsing, is that some dealers block vehicle access to their lot after hours, so unless there is a side street where you can park (they always front a busy road or highway with no on-street parking), you might have to have someone drop you off, and wait nearby.

With the advent of the internet, and almost everybody with their inventory displayed online, there is less need to go around in person to see what's out there. But in my area, at least, it seems very few dealerships will do any kind of price quoting or negotiating for a retail customer, unless it is in-person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 07:18 PM

38,742 posts, read 45,257,917 times
When I want to look at new vehicles I just drive into the service area and park there then go into the service office as if I was going to get some service, then I walk out over to the new car lot and look around. When the salesperson comes over I just tell them I'm having my vehicle serviced in their shop and I'm just killing time. They figure they're not going to get a sale from me and at that point and hand me a card and walk away.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:33 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,292,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I haven't looked at cars in a few years, and I don't know if this is common now, or just a quirk of this dealership. I wanted to look at some new cars, didn't want to buy or take a test drive today, just get a better look than what you can see online. Lo and behold, the new cars were inaccessible behind the dealership (except for whatever was in the showroom). A young guy who probably worked in the shop, said you needed to get a salesperson to take you back there. Of course, I know I could have gotten one, and told him I just wanted to look around a little today. I just really didn't feel like going into the showroom, getting some help, and possibly get someone who would be a pest. It was just supposed to be a casual stop on my way to doing an errand. I just left and ran my errand and I was a little annoyed. First world problems, for sure. But is this how it is everywhere now?
No vehicle on front lot? Its normal for some to be in back lot and access to be restricted. Some just arrived and not serviced for front display and other going to regional dealers waiting to be picked up and already sold. Must be a lot of problems in your area.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:47 PM

7,330 posts, read 12,610,530 times
It's a very low crime area, although I guess car dealerships could be having problems I'm not aware of when other businesses aren't. I think they are just set up strangely, from what everyone's saying. I usually pay no attention to car dealerships as I drive by, so I don't know how any others are set up. I'll have to start paying attention just to see.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:30 PM

810 posts, read 1,083,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
The back lot may be packed in tight and if people were allowed to mill around back there they could cause a bunch of door dings. OR, if riff raff get back there, stuff like floor mats, tonneau covers, stuff like that may come up missing. So they'd rather you only look at what they have up front. Deal with it or don't.

I'm sure the vehicles are locked so it's not like people could get in them anyway.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,531 posts, read 50,948,379 times
No, here you can wander around and look at any of the cars all you want. If the one you want is not there, a salesman may take you into the back to see one that has not yet been prepped for sale, with the shipping plastic still on it, but those ready to go are all accessible. When we bought our 2014 recently they handed me the keys and said "take it out for as long as you want" and the salesman didn't even come along for the test drive.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:45 PM

7,327 posts, read 4,695,633 times
I saw that here just this week ,and I asked one of the sales guy why were the 2015s out back. He told me that they had just came in the night before and they haven't had time to check them out and processed them in yet. This was at a ford dealership and the same thing at the dodge dealership, I wanted to see the 2015 challenger scat pack. But the challenger is now out front as of today. I usually just stroll the lots after hours or on sundays if I don't want to be botherd.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:08 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,572,238 times
That is odd. All of the dealerships I have ever been to you can just go and look at the cars. Sales people will probably approach, but if you ask them not to bother you, they will probably just give their business card and leave, not to risk pissing off a potential customer.

What brand is it?

Old 12-04-2014, 09:32 PM

7,330 posts, read 12,610,530 times
It's Honda. My husband bought a Honda several years ago, at another dealership, and I know it wasn't like that at all. I thought things might have changed in general, but apparently not.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:43 PM

6,543 posts, read 8,661,665 times
Many dozens of every make dealers all over the place in my area with open lots 24/7. Most on major roads. I went to 2 Honda, Kia, Hyundai dealers. Walked around looking at cars and no sales person even came out to try to sell me a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or