U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 04:24 PM

6,586 posts, read 18,129,064 times

Advertisements

Has been many many moons since I sold New and Used cars. Other then the showroom we had a variety out front on the lot for a comparison. We did have NEW parked behind the fence that were in need of detailing and prep from delivery.

Engine/trans fluids were checked along with many of the visible bolts under the hood.

If a potential buyer was interested in a certain color not out front then I would take him behind the fence for a look...could be cleaned up in one day for a sale.

There was always the inter sale from dealer to dealer re color or accessories at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 05:21 PM

7,598 posts, read 4,802,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I don't know if I agree with it from a customer operations perspective, but it makes complete and utter sense to me as to why they did that. On more "specialty" cars, the stores have to deal with a lot of joyriders. Oftentimes, the ultimate buyer of the car is going to be more picky about the mileage on it and the store has to deal with lots of customers wanting to drive one or two vehicles. I remember one mustang (Boss 302?) that the manager said wouldn't be allowed on a test drive. His philosophy was that anyone who was serious about it knew what it was and didn't need to take it out. He was right, in that case.
I don't have a problem how dealerships handle their business, if I don't like it, I can always take my business elsewhere. As I remember, they had several cars on the lot that day and this practice is not consistent across all dealerships. However, it worked out in my favor anyway, I found the car I wanted at a better price and the test drive really sold it for me. This is my first mustang so the test drive was really important to me. I wanted to see if it lived up to everything I had read about it, and boy did it ever. This car is still a blast to drive and its been trouble free so far, I really really like this car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or