U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 06:35 AM

10,087 posts, read 6,229,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
As long as you run a name brand oil (rotella, Valvoline, Mobil, etc) you are pretty much ok. Now, if you have an older non roller cam motor things change and you may need to run a zinc additive to keep the cam and lifters from going flat. They pulled a lot of zinc out of today's oils and NONE of them, except the specialty oils like Brad Penn, Valvoline Racing, etc, have enough zinc to keep those cams alive.

In my flat tappet motors I always add half a can of Lucus Break In Additive with every oil change and a full can when I break in a new motor.

To run one of those cut rate oils is just dumb. Every mechanic I know says "Oil is the cheapest thing you will ever put into your motor" and they are right. I will also never run a Fram filter, but that is another subject altogether.

Don
Many learn this the hard way. I use WIX , or Fleetguard. For oil I run Amsoil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 06:39 AM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,807,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Good information, Retriever . . .

Call me crazy or whatever but I am also a firm believer in Brands of Gasoline making a significant difference and I always avoid those "off the wall" stations that rarely save any more than 5 to 10 cents a gallon.

Thanks for posting this information.
Those cheapo "off the wall" gas stations are selling gasoline made in back yard stills. One day they are making Shine and the next they are making gasoline, best to stay with major brands. I think all those Costco and Walmart stations are selling "home made gasoline".

Old 12-05-2014, 07:00 AM

5,012 posts, read 5,897,697 times
I've never heard of nor will I use any of those oil brands anyway.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:09 AM

14,377 posts, read 17,235,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Wawa sells Sunoco gas.

...however, since Sunoco exited the refining business about 3 years ago, all "Sunoco" gas is actually sourced from other companies that still refine crude oil into gasoline, motor oil, and other products.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:10 AM

3 posts, read 1,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
As long as you run a name brand oil (rotella, Valvoline, Mobil, etc) you are pretty much ok. Now, if you have an older non roller cam motor things change and you may need to run a zinc additive to keep the cam and lifters from going flat. They pulled a lot of zinc out of today's oils and NONE of them, except the specialty oils like Brad Penn, Valvoline Racing, etc, have enough zinc to keep those cams alive.

In my flat tappet motors I always add half a can of Lucus Break In Additive with every oil change and a full can when I break in a new motor.

To run one of those cut rate oils is just dumb. Every mechanic I know says "Oil is the cheapest thing you will ever put into your motor" and they are right. I will also never run a Fram filter, but that is another subject altogether.

Don
Thank you for the information about the oil and the zinc additives. I reciently purchasedd a rebuilt engine for my '91 f-150 from a firm in Texas. They put new upgraded everything in that engine, even line bored the crank and cam. What a beautiful job they did. The mechanic who put the engine in for me said to go purchase the zinc additive and put it in with my oil but didn't say anything about putting it in with each oil change. I do run synthetic so I am sure you are right about adding it (or some) to every oil change. I will do that from now on as I sure don't want to be purchasing another engine for this truck...GREAT ADVISE, THANK YOU...

Old 12-05-2014, 08:38 AM

9,374 posts, read 26,553,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
You realize that the brand has nothing to do with who refined the gasoline, right? Gas is commingled at the rack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I don't know if things have changed but I drove a gas tanker in the '70s and routinely pulled monthly allotments from at least 3 terminals branded differently than the stations I delivered it to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Those cheapo "off the wall" gas stations are selling gasoline made in back yard stills. One day they are making Shine and the next they are making gasoline, best to stay with major brands. I think all those Costco and Walmart stations are selling "home made gasoline".
As I stated earlier, call me crazy or whatever . . .

Granted it has been at least a decade now but I tried using "off the wall" gasoline in my '86 Jeep CJ-7 a few times and after one tank or so it started acting up, primarily on the initial start-up.

Using Shell V-Power Premium seems to fix the problem . . . maybe the Jeep is able to "read the pumps" or just prefers Yellow, whatever it is, I'm convinced there is a difference.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:53 AM

3,150 posts, read 7,222,454 times
Use a good oil. Send in your used oil sample to a lab. Can't go wrong.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:26 AM

2,090 posts, read 2,014,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
As I stated earlier, call me crazy or whatever . . .

Granted it has been at least a decade now but I tried using "off the wall" gasoline in my '86 Jeep CJ-7 a few times and after one tank or so it started acting up, primarily on the initial start-up.

Using Shell V-Power Premium seems to fix the problem . . . maybe the Jeep is able to "read the pumps" or just prefers Yellow, whatever it is, I'm convinced there is a difference.
Ok. You're crazy. Gasoline is mingled at the bulk plants, purchased across brands and different refineries, and then purchased by the local station or franchise at the lowest price point possible. It is shipped from a bulk carrier or fuel farm that services multiple brands. If a station is a Shell Oil company station (not a franchise) I believe they are still using their own additives. Other than that, all bets are off.

Specific issues related to a specific vehicle can probably be diagnosed to a problem in the vehicle. I doubt gasoline will end up being the enemy unless there was some water or contaminants in it.

A bigger issue is likely to be buying from a station that sells smaller volume and the gas may sit longer or may get contaminated in the tanks. I would propose buying from a station that does high volume and ignore the branding, as it is not related in 90%+ cases to fuel quality.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:02 AM

1,593 posts, read 1,821,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I believe you mean Artisanal Petrol!

Old 12-05-2014, 11:04 AM

8,623 posts, read 6,223,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
True, but the additives added after the refining are what makes the difference.
Talk to the guy delivering the gas to a gas station. He will tell you the truth about where all comes from. Additives are added after his tanker is filled with brand X.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or