U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 12:10 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,922,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I've seen them cut open and they are cardboard inside that has the potential to collapse. Google Fram filter failures and you will see tons of negative reports on them. When I buy an oil change special and it includes a Fram filter I ask the parts guy if I can swap it out for another brand.

Don
Purolator classic for everything I own, 1988 JD riding mower included.

Brand name oils only and no additives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 01:02 PM

190 posts, read 178,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
What's wrong with them? PM me if it's easier.
He probably read about Fram oil filter problems on the interwebs.

I've been using Fram filters for decades, never had a problem with them.

Remember, the www content is 99%BS, including the posters on this website.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:17 PM

9,189 posts, read 5,711,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by draketrutta View Post
He probably read about Fram oil filter problems on the interwebs.

I've been using Fram filters for decades, never had a problem with them.

Remember, the www content is 99%BS, including the posters on this website.
Witnessed 4 cars , one including my own have issues with them and a boat motor. Wix or Fleetguard only for me.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:09 PM

11,122 posts, read 11,535,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I'm wondering where all this oil is going. I've suspected for some time that the oil-change places do not use what they claim to. Same for filters. Glad I change my own oil, filters, and fluids!
True that. I had shoulder problems last winter and took my pickup to an oil change joint. The next oil change I was feeling better and went back to changing it myself. They had installed a filter that was 1/3 the size of the proper filter for my engine! Sure, it spun on, but with the shortage of filter media it must have been bypassing continually. I was less than happy, and made a vow that no matter how much pain I was in, I would do it myself. I have no idea what oil they used, since it came out of a bulk pump.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:16 PM

11,122 posts, read 11,535,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike9408 View Post
Thank you for the information about the oil and the zinc additives. I reciently purchasedd a rebuilt engine for my '91 f-150 from a firm in Texas. They put new upgraded everything in that engine, even line bored the crank and cam. What a beautiful job they did. The mechanic who put the engine in for me said to go purchase the zinc additive and put it in with my oil but didn't say anything about putting it in with each oil change. I do run synthetic so I am sure you are right about adding it (or some) to every oil change. I will do that from now on as I sure don't want to be purchasing another engine for this truck...GREAT ADVISE, THANK YOU...
Zinc was removed from motor oil because it poisons the catalytic converter. Engines after catalytic converters became standard should run fine without zinc. If the mechanic recommended zinc in your engine, it is because it doesn't have roller lifters. It's a trade-off. Either you replace the cam shaft and push rods (cheap parts, expensive labor) or you replace the catalytic converter (expensive part, cheap labor). It may also be fine with regular motor oil, depending on the vintage of the replacement engine.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:29 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,644,722 times
Ah, another 'oil thread'...
But thanks to the OP for the heads up, though I agree one would have to hunt for those 'brands', and I suspect most of the readers/posters here are all using their fave real brand(s) of oil.
GL, mD

Old 12-05-2014, 04:50 PM

15,831 posts, read 9,781,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Witnessed 4 cars , one including my own have issues with them and a boat motor. Wix or Fleetguard only for me.

Me too. I cut one open that had totally collapsed inside, the cardboard gave out. Wix and others use metal end caps that support the filter elements better. In the average daily driver a Fram might be ok, but if you have a modified engine or run your car hard, it can be a problem.

I am on a lot of car forums and many people have had Fram filters cause engine problems. I just don't gamble with an expensive engine.

Don

Old 12-05-2014, 09:58 PM

12,305 posts, read 10,109,081 times
Who's ever heard of these brands? Whatever Dodge puts in my vehicle is what goes in it so I don't worry about Billy Bob's Oil Co at the local 99 cent store.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:53 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,578,538 times
That list of oils sound like what you'd get at a gas station, not like a Circle K, Thorntons, or Speedway- which all sll some cheap oil, but like some place called; Jeff's Food Mart, or this local four chain place called Stop & Go.

Old 12-06-2014, 03:27 AM

3,400 posts, read 5,488,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Ah, another 'oil thread'...
But thanks to the OP for the heads up, though I agree one would have to hunt for those 'brands', and I suspect most of the readers/posters here are all using their fave real brand(s) of oil.
GL, mD
No kidding. Someone must have registered those knock off names and packaged some recycled oil that was diluted down. These can't be just any trusty store running this stuff out onto their shelves. Knowing New Jersey, they might be mafia types with connections getting into a new venture...

There's other stuff that has been pulled from shelves as of late, too. You haven't heard of any of them, either.

The Petroleum Quality Institute of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Me too. I cut one open that had totally collapsed inside, the cardboard gave out. Wix and others use metal end caps that support the filter elements better. In the average daily driver a Fram might be ok, but if you have a modified engine or run your car hard, it can be a problem.

I am on a lot of car forums and many people have had Fram filters cause engine problems. I just don't gamble with an expensive engine.

Don
Even "good" filters can self-destruct. So? Anyway, even Honda uses Fram OEM filters and last I checked, they aren't grenading engines en masse. If you go for pretty much anyone's low-end filter, that might be asking for trouble. Fram's higher end filters are actually quite good. Either way, you get what you pay for. Granted, I use Motorcraft for my F150s these days, just out of habit, but I've never had issues with Fram previously. Fram isn't the only one that uses cardboard endcaps, though.

This guy sums it up nicely, though:

"Only an idot would believe that Fram is treated with fairness. People home in on the Fram filters hoping to find a failure. Therefore Frams are examined much more often then other filters. It's also "in" to criticize Fram. A failed Fram is therefore more likely to be reported."

FRAM explains why they use cardboard... | Engine Oil Filters | Bob Is The Oil Guy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or