U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 05:00 PM

128 posts, read 421,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Then you explain why airplane gas engines are flat tappet engines but zinc is not allowed in the formulation...............yeah, you don't have a clue, do you?
I am no expert by any means, but I suspect the cams in an aircraft motor are made of different (harder, more expensive) material than a regular car engine's cam. Ask any engine builder about why there are so many cam failures today, I'll bet the first thing they say is the lack of enough zinc in the oil. I had a motor rebuilt a year or so ago, cam started to go flat while dynoing it. This was with plenty of zinc additive mixed with the break in oil.

Needless to say, I now have a retrofitted roller cam in my old style small block chevy. My engine builder decided to eliminate doing any flat tappet cam rebuilds in the future, as mine was the fourth one that year that had gone flat on the dyno. I installed a flat tappet stock type cam in an old Malibu a few years back, it was still running fine when I sold the car, but only had 1k miles on it by then. I added zinc additive to the oil to be safe. It's a proven fact in the automotive world that flat tappet cams need zinc to survive, as I said, ask any engine builder who knows much at all, and they will tell you the same. Do you think the automotive builders today put roller cams in their cars because they are cheaper than a flat tappet set-up? I guarantee you roller cams are not cheaper to build than a flat tappet set-up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 08:36 AM

8,167 posts, read 26,528,670 times
I had a Dodge Intrepid with the notorious 2.7 engine that I traded in with 231k original miles, except for a coolant pipe and oil pressure sending unit. The trick? From 7-70k miles, Mobil 1 changed every 5k. From 70k miles onward (post warranty), Wal-Mart brand Supertech full synthetic changed every 8k, with a filter change at 4k.

I also stayed away from Fram filters and the cheaper Purolators. The engine had minor oil leaks when I was done with it, but it still ran like a top and I beat on it every day.

I still use the el cheapo Purolators, but when my current cars reach 5 yrs or 100k (out of warranty), I will pick up the Supertech again.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:24 PM

2,056 posts, read 1,855,834 times
On this same topic, i was wondering if the prices of quarts of motor oil were dropping in tandem with the price of refined gasoline at the pump? Need to do an oil change soon and I usually buy the more expensive varieties, though I rarely do a change inside of 4-5k miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or