U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the law?
The left lane is the only lane reserved for passing 21 46.67%
Use only the right lane, the middle and left lanes are all reserved for passing 7 15.56%
Our law only requires you to move right if you're slow 13 28.89%
We don't have a keep right law 4 8.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 07:46 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,811,612 times

Advertisements

People in this state barely follow lane convention when there's only 2 lanes in each direction. Once you introduce a 3rd or 4th lane, lane discipline breaks down entirely and there's no use shaking your fist at those who don't follow it because nobody does. So I just tuck myself into whatever lane is cruising at the speed I find most comfortable at that particular moment and do my best not to run over anyone or get run over.

Last edited by Drover; 12-05-2014 at 07:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 10:38 PM

6,043 posts, read 6,081,092 times
Depends on if you're in New Jersey or not. If in New Jersey the proper etiquette is to tailgate and then pass on whatever side opens up, NASCAR style at 85 mph.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:37 PM

637 posts, read 454,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
Just curious. A lot of DMV handbooks and driver ed instructors will tell drivers that the middle lane on a three-lane highway is the travel lane, the far left is the overtaking lane, and the right lane is for people entering or exiting the highway and those otherwise going slower than everyone else.

That gem of wisdom actually runs contrary to the law up here in Maine, which seems to mean that the middle and left lanes of a three-lane highway are both reserved for passing. They still post keep right, except to pass signs up on the three lane sections of I-95 as well.

So the question: what's the law in your area?
Here in Minnesota, we don't have a passing lane law, former Gov. Jesse Ventura vetoed it when they tried, and they've never had the votes to bring it back up again. So what they tell you now is drive in the lane of the least resistance which usually is the left lane on the Freeway.

I personally believe the left lane is for SPEEDING, and all other lanes are reserved for those who wish to drive the speed limit or less. I have incorporated my belief system into my personal lifestyle behind the wheel.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:51 AM

148 posts, read 143,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
So the question: what's the law in your area?

Here around Atlanta the right lane seems to be the passing lane and often the left for those going slower than everyone else!

Old 12-06-2014, 04:05 AM

33,142 posts, read 39,090,825 times
Here in Quebec passing on the right is illegal, the left lane is for passing only, according to provincial police.It will also cost you 3 demerit points

Old 12-06-2014, 07:14 AM

37,072 posts, read 38,285,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
In a perfect world where people kept left except to pass I would agree with you. But most people don't care when someone wants to go faster than them, or rationalize in their mind why it's okay for them to hold someone up.
As I said I'd strictly enforce it and that would include ticketing the slow pokes hogging the left lane.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:41 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,557,510 times
On a three or more lane expressway I stay in the middle as most three lanes are in urban area with closely spaced exit/entrance ramps. I'll use the left lane to pass slower cars. In the rural areas I'll stay to the right and pass on the left unless the left lane is blocked by a car going slower than I want. Then I'll pass quickly on the right.

I usually set my speed between 5 to 9 mph over the posted limit. I usually pass about 80% of the other traffic and about 20% passes me. I figure the fast guys will find the speed traps before I do.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:00 PM

19,884 posts, read 36,393,146 times
The poll is incomplete. Here, there are sections of highway where the left lane is designated for passing only, and those have very specific signage designated by the legislature in the statutes. No sign, the left lane is not passing only. That choice doesn't appear in the poll.

If there's three lanes, I'll drive in the middle, to allow those entering/exiting plenty of room to do so safely, and to allow those who are driving faster than I am to go by and pick off the cops. If there are only two lanes, I'll drive in the right lane, short of a good reason not to such as a badly torn up lane or lots of entries from driveways and business parking lots, and pass on the left (unless I'm passing someone who is slowing/stopping to turn left, of course).

Old 12-07-2014, 08:04 AM

20 posts, read 14,144 times
Sadly where I live the right lane is the passing lane because every idiot gets in the left lane and then proceeds to do 0.000000111 mph above the speed limit. End result is a train-like caravan of cars in the left going slow since none of them are willing to move over.

In most countries I've driven in this never happens and the left lane really is the fast lane. Not here though.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:20 AM

13,566 posts, read 16,072,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Here in Quebec passing on the right is illegal, the left lane is for passing only, according to provincial police.It will also cost you 3 demerit points
So...in Quebec, if somebody is driving very slowly in the left lane, then everyone else is required to follow him/her at glacial speed and not pass on the right?

If that is the case, then the authorities in your province have some very strange reasoning, and there must be a lot of unnecessary road congestion.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive