U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the law?
The left lane is the only lane reserved for passing 21 46.67%
Use only the right lane, the middle and left lanes are all reserved for passing 7 15.56%
Our law only requires you to move right if you're slow 13 28.89%
We don't have a keep right law 4 8.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2014, 11:14 AM

1,104 posts, read 1,430,841 times

Advertisements

Just curious. A lot of DMV handbooks and driver ed instructors will tell drivers that the middle lane on a three-lane highway is the travel lane, the far left is the overtaking lane, and the right lane is for people entering or exiting the highway and those otherwise going slower than everyone else.

That gem of wisdom actually runs contrary to the law up here in Maine, which seems to mean that the middle and left lanes of a three-lane highway are both reserved for passing. They still post keep right, except to pass signs up on the three lane sections of I-95 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "M.R.S. Title 29-A, 2052, 6
An operator driving on a limited-access way with a speed limit of 65 or more miles per hour is restricted in ordinary operation to the right-hand lane and may use adjacent lanes for overtaking and passing another vehicle, but must return to the right-hand lane at the earliest opportunity.
So the question: what's the law in your area?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 11:48 AM

783 posts, read 558,768 times
one needs to use a bit of common sense (which of course isn't very common especially among politicians). It makes a big difference if you're driving in a urban area where you have many many many exits and entrances ramps, vs a more rural setting where entrance and exit ramps are miles apart and the total traffic load on the road is much less.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:58 AM

1,104 posts, read 1,430,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
one needs to use a bit of common sense (which of course isn't very common especially among politicians). It makes a big difference if you're driving in a urban area where you have many many many exits and entrances ramps, vs a more rural setting where entrance and exit ramps are miles apart and the total traffic load on the road is much less.
Maine's law pretty well covers that, in practice, I think. It only applies where the speed limit is at least 65. If it's that congested, the speed limit is more likely to be between 50 and 60 on a limited access highway (and we have rural speed limits as high as 75 in some areas, the highest on the east coast), in which case the law wouldn't apply.

Massachusetts' law is more extreme. They apply it on all ways, so even on multi-lane city streets, you are to keep right except to pass or turn left (cite), pretty much unless signs or police officers dictate otherwise. Even so, if you're keeping up with traffic in the middle lane, and there are a lot of people entering and exiting from the right lane, my experience is you end up overtaking them anyway, so you'd still be in compliance with the law. Either that, or someone will be in front of you, in which case you blame your inability to pass on the guy ahead of you.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:02 PM

8,992 posts, read 14,187,334 times
Passing on the right is conditional to certain situations in NY. However, doing so on a multi-lane road like a thruway is acceptable.

As stated in the NYS handbook, you can pass on the right when "you are on a two way [or one way] road that is marked for two or more lanes or is wide enough for two or more lanes in each direction, to pass is not prohibited by signs or restricted by parked cars or other obstructions."

Old 12-05-2014, 01:52 PM

7,691 posts, read 10,062,057 times
Different states have different laws dealing with this, so there is no nation-wide standard. Some recommend things, some require, some don't really address it.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:27 PM

10,089 posts, read 10,604,044 times
That's an easy one. In Vermont we don't have any highways with more than two lanes in each direction.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:00 PM

3,253 posts, read 1,551,954 times
I cruise the middle if it's available. Trying to cruise the right of a 3 lane highway with many on/off ramps is silly. Sometimes people hit the right lane hard getting on/off, or they're slowing so much preparing to exit that if you want to pass you'll end up in the middle lane anyway. Whereas camping in the middle lane, they can pass you on either your right or your left and you don't have to keep an eye on merging or exiting traffic.

If I want to pass someone I don't care what lane it is, if I see an opportunity I take it.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:10 PM

6,515 posts, read 8,597,986 times
Don't know about other states but on I-75 all 'yield' signs entering the highway have been removed and all the 'slower traffic keep right' have been removed. So you can now cut someone off entering the highway at 40 mph and go right over to the left lane and drive at 40 mph. A new law was passed to stop laggers in the left lane 'impeding traffic' but I've never seen it enforced.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:18 PM

37,069 posts, read 38,262,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post

If I want to pass someone I don't care what lane it is, if I see an opportunity I take it.
Passing on the right is a dangerous practice especially if it's a truck. If it were up to me I'd strictly enforce "drive right, pass left" laws on the Interstates with common sense exceptions for left exits, congestion etc. This would alleviate a lot of congestion and help prevent accidents, there would no reason for you to pass on the right.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:25 PM

3,253 posts, read 1,551,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Passing on the right is a dangerous practice especially if it's a truck. If it were up to me I'd strictly enforce "drive right, pass left" laws on the Interstates with common sense exceptions for left exits, congestion etc. This would alleviate a lot of congestion and help prevent accidents, there would no reason for you to pass on the right.
In a perfect world where people kept left except to pass I would agree with you. But most people don't care when someone wants to go faster than them, or rationalize in their mind why it's okay for them to hold someone up.

I skip the part where I get road rage and pass when and where I deem appropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive