Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 11:07 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

Companies Must Change Some Practices

BOSTON -- Eight Massachusetts auto dealerships have agreed to pay a total $290,000 in penalties after the state accused the businesses of misleading advertising.

The dealerships must also change certain advertising practices under a deal with Attorney General Martha Coakley's office.

Auto Dealers To Pay Penalties Over Ads - Money News Story - WCVB Boston (http://www.thebostonchannel.com/money/14967922/detail.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 09:52 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Hopefully, John, this is only the Tip Of The Iceberg!

Unethical and/or misleading advertising for many industries has been running "out of control" lately.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:05 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,865,846 times
back when i sold and financed we had a few ads that i thought were misleading. jaguar was doing a lease special on a base model x-type. when i say base i mean absolutely base down to non-metallic paint and iirc not even a cd player. we had to have at least one on the lot to be able to advertize the lease, which was a very low price of something like $280/month.

so we had one. the problems were numerous - first off no one wanted a base jaguar. adding even one option (like metallic paint) disqualified that car for the lease special. but the kicker was that the special was SO LOW that a car with just a $500 higher MSRP would lease for the otherwise same terms for well over $400/month. further the boss did not want us to sell the base car so they could keep running the advertizement. move em up to another car they said, so now the rest of us had to justify this enormous cost difference to the customers who came in because they saw this awesome lease special - we can justify say $75 difference for a non-special car, but we're talking almost $200!!

misleading? i thought so, and i did inquire to the boss on it. ah, the good old days. good riddance...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive