Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 07:09 AM

870 posts, read 2,108,549 times

Advertisements

My brother-in-law doesn't have a set of jumper cables for his vehicles, a problem which I hope to rectify this Christmas. I am wondering, though, what gauge and length should I buy?

The larger vehicle is a 2011 Kia Sedona and the other car is a mid-2000s mid-size sedan (don't know exact make/model). I don't think I need to get super heavy duty cables since the vehicles are not that large. At the same time, 12-gauge cables may just not transfer enough juice to make the purchase worthwhile.

In addition to a particular gauge/amp for which I should aim, does anyone have particular recommendations for type (plain copper or copper-clad aluminum) or even brand?

My b-i-l is not mechanically inclined, so ones that have a good wide mouth that grips well would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for advice and suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 07:24 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
How about getting an auto charger. That way he won't have to depend on another vehicle.

PEAK 600 amp Jump Starter : Target

Old 12-11-2014, 09:56 AM

870 posts, read 2,108,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
How about getting an auto charger. That way he won't have to depend on another vehicle.

Interesting idea. I didn't know that they could be that inexpensive. My main concern is that it he wouldn't keep it charged up. Does anyone have experience with how long it will stayed charged without use? Also, does it need to be recharged after every use or could it conceivably jump a car two or three times before being recharged? Finally, is 600 amps enough?

Old 12-11-2014, 11:54 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,956 times
I have one of those Jump Stater batteries and it works well --- for what it's good for.
I had electrical problems that caused my car to drain it's battery every time it was turned off, so I needed starting about 6 times before I figured it out and got it fixed. But I got it just to save the HUGE hassle of finding someone who would give me 15 minutes to cable to my car.

Get cables. Even with the above, I've used them about twice as many times helping out someone else, as needing them for myself. Besides, the Jump Starter is as you'd expect, heavy as a car battery. I would NOT want it sliding around in my trunk for a long period of time. My jumper cables fit in the spare tire well, wrapped inside the wheel's depression. Zero useful cargo space consumed.

Type? Definitely go all-copper. Aluminum is used solely to save money and is NOT as good an electrical conductor as copper.
Length? Get a standard length, unless you have a car where it's battery connection is in a tough to reach location.
Amp capacity (=gauge): Depends on the type of car. Read:
Jumper Cables Buying Guide - Walmart.com

The practical difference between thick cables and really really thick cables, is that if the bad battery is just low, any will work. But if the bad one is dead, then an extra thick cable can handle the huge power needed to start the car. If you have skinner cables, then they can't handle the starting power required, and you'd have to have the good/running car connected to the bad/dead car for 5,10, 15 minutes to charge up the bad battery enough so that it could do the starting.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:03 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,306,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post

These are great, but they are batteries that die and have to be replaced.I have gone through 3 of these in the last 14 years or so. I just picked up the 750 amp version of the peak. They are very handy.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:09 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
I researched the heck out of Jumper cables and then realized, any cables are better than no cables (I've used cheap to expensive ones in the past - they all worked). The biggest issue I've ever had was with insufficient length. The ones I ended up buying were: Grip 16ft 8 Gauge Jumper Cables at a local store called Rural King. They had extra length, a decent gauge and also came with a convenient carrying case.

The most important thing regarding jump starting is actually doing it correctly though... the proper procedure isn't known by many and if not done correctly you can damage one or both vehicles.

Summary instructions (which I recommend printing out and inserting in the jumper cable package)

How to hook up Jumper Cables is simple:
dead battery - red cable to positive terminal
good battery - red cable to positive terminal
good battery - black cable to negative terminal
dead battery - black cable to grounded connection (Unpainted bolt or other part of vehicle as far from the battery as possible to avoid a hydrogen spark when the connection is made - the reality is that you can connect this to the negative terminal but if a spark occurs on a damaged dead battery you risk an explosion. I've used the negative terminal many times over the past 20 years without issue, but it only takes one time to get a nasty explosion so if you can find a good grounded connection instead)

Start the good battery vehicle and run for 5-10 minutes (revving the RPMs a bit vs idling will send more electricity and speed up the charging process)

Then start the bad battery vehicle. The driver of that vehicle should then drive it/leave it running at least 10 minutes (but longer is advisable) to allow their alternator to charge up the battery. For some reason a lot of drivers don't seem to know about or do this part.

Once started - disconnect the cables in reverse order they were connected.

Hope that helps ;-)

Old 12-11-2014, 12:21 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Get cables. The charger types that have batteries and are used to jump can fail at the time you need it.

Jumper cables will always work and I have yet to experience a situation where I couldn't find someone to provide the jump. If they have two cars, problem solved and you're spending a whole lot less money and keeping things simple instead of adding more things they need to maintain.

If you buy jumper cables, get good ones because they will last, provided to strongest transfer of current and be the safest to use.

Buying cables that a #4 or #2 cable keeps the cables flexible yet large enough to transfer the current needed. Larger cables are better. Also, get cables that are long enough. Nothing worse than short jumper cables where you can't line up the cars to get a jump. Larger diameter cables = ability to use longer cables.

A good set of cables will last as long as anyone needs them and because they are simple to use, are great if you'd rather not add complexity to the recipient's life. They will work over and over again.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:48 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
when buying jumper cables, get the longest, largest gauge cables you can afford. i bought a set of cables that were 2 gauge and 25ft long.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:56 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Longest, largest guage you can afford.

They will allow for a quicker charger time and easier jumping.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:06 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Besides the off chance of causing an explosion, a lot of late model cars owner manual recommend you don't use them to give (or receive) a jump start because of the off-chance that a short or surge could damage the ECU. Almost never happens, but when it does be prepared to come up off at least a grand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive