Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 05:33 PM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
I understand but people behave like once you cross MD you can drive the way you want. I would rather deal with cameras than a police car. I drive on I-81 quite a lot and the huge stretch in VA is completely straight and hardly any town for miles but police is like every 20 miles hidden behind the trees! I guess that is much more pleasing and safer! I do not over speed to the limit where cops will bother me but I find it surprising that one person will be bothered by camera but not police.
I hear you. The police are more aggressive in Virginia, and hand out Reckless tickets like the were candy. MD is a much more reasonable state in that regard. The cameras don't really bother me too much because of the 11 mph cushion they have there. The red light cameras in Rockville, however, was a factor when a person rear ended me once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 05:38 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,876,043 times
whe houston had it it made a clear difference in day to day driving.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:59 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,500,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I hear you. The police are more aggressive in Virginia, and hand out Reckless tickets like the were candy. MD is a much more reasonable state in that regard. The cameras don't really bother me too much because of the 11 mph cushion they have there. The red light cameras in Rockville, however, was a factor when a person rear ended me once.
In a perfect world drivers will not need cameras or police but I don't think that will really work or it may work but it'll be unfair to good drivers which constitutes probably 99.9%. So once in a bad ones pay their dues in different forms. I seemed to remember that incident but I thought it's a texter who didn't see you were stopped or was it a different one?

Old 12-27-2014, 06:04 PM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
In a perfect world drivers will not need cameras or police but I don't think that will really work or it may work but it'll be unfair to good drivers which constitutes probably 99.9%. So once in a bad ones pay their dues in different forms. I seemed to remember that incident but I thought it's a texter who didn't see you were stopped or was it a different one?
That was different one (texting teen).

Old 12-28-2014, 07:40 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,275,010 times
They're scared of roundabouts in south dakota... city council killed the ones that were going to be built along the interstate exits.... so instead we have to sit there waiting at a #$#&ing stoplight when nobody is around. Stoplights are just irritating.. should be able to treat them like yield signs, where you can go when no traffic is around... especially in smaller towns where there is not as much traffic.. and they still have the damn things going at 1AM and turn them back on at 5:30AM... just silly.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,664 times
What's the reason you should come to a safe stop on a yellow light? Speeding up or "racing" to beat the yellow light is dangerous and can cause a crash. If you know that there's a Red light camera at the intersection you're probably more likely to approach that intersection a bit more ready to come to a safe stop. Red light cameras have repeatedly saved many lives in several states across the USA. Don't want to get caught running a red light? Start preparing ahead of time to come to a safe stop when it turns solid yellow. Every day that I drive I see people texting, talking on their cell phones, and speeding up when the light turns yellow. If I can come to a safe stop driving the speed limit why is it that I see so many people speed up, passing me as they fly through the yellow ... almost Red light? Don't kill or seriously injure someone by speeding up at a yellow light. If you're heading toward a "stale" green light .. it's going to change to a solid yellow so be prepared, and you won't have to worry about that camera trying to catch unsafe drivers who speed up trying to beat the light. "Texting and driving, running a red light are common choices that some drivers make on a daily basis. People are seriously injured and killed because of those choices that some drivers make."

Old 06-05-2015, 07:28 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,603,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZATrafficSurvival School View Post
What's the reason you should come to a safe stop on a yellow light? Speeding up or "racing" to beat the yellow light is dangerous and can cause a crash. If you know that there's a Red light camera at the intersection you're probably more likely to approach that intersection a bit more ready to come to a safe stop. Red light cameras have repeatedly saved many lives in several states across the USA. Don't want to get caught running a red light? Start preparing ahead of time to come to a safe stop when it turns solid yellow. Every day that I drive I see people texting, talking on their cell phones, and speeding up when the light turns yellow. If I can come to a safe stop driving the speed limit why is it that I see so many people speed up, passing me as they fly through the yellow ... almost Red light? Don't kill or seriously injure someone by speeding up at a yellow light. If you're heading toward a "stale" green light .. it's going to change to a solid yellow so be prepared, and you won't have to worry about that camera trying to catch unsafe drivers who speed up trying to beat the light. "Texting and driving, running a red light are common choices that some drivers make on a daily basis. People are seriously injured and killed because of those choices that some drivers make."
I would agree with this, except for one thing. There is that certain exact spot where if the light turns yellow, it's a genuine crap shoot as to whether you can safely stop in time or else barely make it through the intersection before the red. I would bet that a lot of the red light "runners" are the people who just barely misjudged.

This is the whole point of having a one-second "clearance interval," so that the people who just barely misjudged can still get through the intersection before the cross-street traffic starts up.

I would be OK with red light cameras IF they operated under two conditions: (1) the yellow cycle was operated strictly in accordance with accepted traffic engineering standards (roughly speaking, 1 second of yellow for every 10 m.p.h. of speed limit), and (2) the cameras didn't activate until AFTER the clearance interval ended, and then only for cars who didn't cross the stop line until after the clearance interval was over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive