Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 06:50 PM

8,551 posts, read 10,973,619 times

Advertisements

My 2002 Dakota pickup (54,000 miles) has developed a leak of coolant, and I am completely baffled as to where it is coming from.
It only leaks once the engine is shut off, never when the engine is running.

I immediately thought of the overflow tank, but under close inspection, it is not coming from that.
I checked all hoses, no leaks,
Checked water pump gasket, and thermostat, no leaks there.
Checked the petcock, no leaks there.

The water accumulates just below the bottom of the radiator.
It doesn't leak much, perhaps less than 1/4 cup at a time.
I checked as best I could without removing the radiator, and see no breaks in the radiator.

As I said, it only leaks once the engine is off.after being driven, even for a short time{less than a mile.
What do you think?

Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 07:05 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times
Did you check the intake? Water pump weep hole? How do you know for certain it is not leaking while you are driving?

Old 12-22-2014, 07:13 PM

3,507 posts, read 764,084 times
have your radiator cap checked .. radiator pressure will spike a bit soon after you shut off the engine ..it may run at 12 to 13 lbs under normal use but spike to 15 lbs when you shut it off ..

Old 12-22-2014, 07:21 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
first question is where is the puddle under the truck? if at the center under the front of the engine, i would suspect that coolant is leaking from the water pump weep hole, for instance.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:22 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,207,011 times
Go to Autozone and rent a coolant pressure tester.

This lets you pressurize your coolant system with the engine off. You can find leaks that way.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:17 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
Press paper towels all around under the radiator above the leak. A paper towel will get a wet spot when it touches something wet. Follow the wetness with the paper towels to its source.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Did you check the intake? Water pump weep hole? How do you know for certain it is not leaking while you are driving?
If it were leaking while driving, the engine temp would rise, and if enough leaked out while driving, it would effect engine performance.
Also, the level in the overflow would be low.
None of this is happening.
The leak looks like it at the bottom of the radiator, but with the design of this radiator, I can crawl under and see the bottom of the radiator, all the way across, and don't see any holes in it, or traces of water seeping from anywhere on it.

Bob.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
first question is where is the puddle under the truck? if at the center under the front of the engine, i would suspect that coolant is leaking from the water pump weep hole, for instance.

The small amount of water noticeable after turning the engine off is directly under the front part of the truck, just under the radiator.
Also, I don't have to reach operating temperature for it to leak.
The leak is no where near the water pump.
I removed the shroud to get a better look, but that didn't help at all.
Some days it doesn't leak at all, but on most days it does.

Bob.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:12 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
If you've eliminated anywhere around the engine as the leak source, and you see the leak directly below the radiator ...

then the leak must be originating at the radiator.

It may be difficult to spot the precise location of this small leak at the radiator, even with a pressure tester on the system.

Best now that you've localized the radiator as the source of the leak to remove it and have it checked out at a radiator shop.

Yours wouldn't be the first radiator to have failed at this age or to have sustained some road damage.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:30 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,305,481 times
I had a Honda CRV that would do something similar, very small amount after the car shutoff would show up along the bottom rail of the radiator , frustration as I couldn't find it . I changed the radiator cap and it stopped .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive