Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 01:06 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times

Advertisements

I've driven the pre-hatchback Prius as well as the Lexus C200h (based on the Prius). They both handled the mountains perfectly fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 01:09 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Typical Prius owner.
^Typical Prius hater. It's not like I don't have other things that I drive to compare my Prius to. Like a 400 HP, 800 lbs./ft. torque 6.7 Ford Super Duty 4WD diesel pickup. The Prius performs just fine, even when compared to something with those kinds of horsepower and torque figures.

I think that it absolutely gripes a lot of people that a Japanese-designed and built car is well-engineered enough to perform adequately, get outstanding fuel economy, and hold very high reliability. As I've also noted numerous times, the people who typically hate on the Prius the most are the people who have never actually even sat in one, much less driven one. Nearly everyone who has ever ridden in my Prius comments that they can't believe how spacious and comfortable it is, and how well it performs.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:12 PM

23,532 posts, read 24,022,219 times

I only have to drive to business appointments and work out of a home office, so don't have a daily commute. There have been months when my appointment schedule was light and I filled up my Prius, once every 2-3 weeks. Love the gas savings! Especially now, when gas is at $2.55 a gallon here in parts of the Bay Area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
^Typical Prius hater. It's not like I don't have other things that I drive to compare my Prius to. Like a 400 HP, 800 lbs./ft. torque 6.7 Ford Super Duty 4WD diesel pickup. The Prius performs just fine, even when compared to something with those kinds of horsepower and torque figures.

I think that it absolutely gripes a lot of people that a Japanese-designed and built car is well-engineered enough to perform adequately, get outstanding fuel economy, and hold very high reliability. As I've also noted numerous times, the people who typically hate on the Prius the most are the people who have never actually even sat in one, much less driven one. Nearly everyone who has ever ridden in my Prius comments that they can't believe how spacious and comfortable it is, and how well it performs.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:28 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Did anyone claim it was the ideal car for mountainous driving? No.
Never said it was THE ideal car for mountainous driving. Just stated that it isn't AN ideal car for mountainous driving. It lacks the power to comfortably deal with steep inclines and lacks the traction to deal with snowy conditions on these inclines.

I'm not hating on the Prius. Just stating facts. Many cars aren't ideal for mountainous driving.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:30 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Pretty much any car can drive up hills fine. Some cars will struggle more than others. Is the Prius an ideal car for mountainous driving? No. Especially in regions where they get heavy snow during the winter months.
What's not ideal about it?

The less powerful second generation was fine going up mountains carrying at least 200 pounds more than its rated for. Could it do it at 90? No. But it didn't have any problem at ~70 mph.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:37 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
What's not ideal about it?

The less powerful second generation was fine going up mountains carrying at least 200 pounds more than its rated for. Could it do it at 90? No. But it didn't have any problem at ~70 mph.
Nobody said that it couldn't make it up a hill or mountain. Compared to other vehicles on the market the Prius is a less than ideal to combat these tasks with. Am I wrong?

The thread starter asked how the Prius handles hills and mountains. Not one person here stated that it was incapable. What's being told is, while it can certainly drive up a mountain or hill depending on weather conditions, its a less than ideal vehicle to have if this is going to be something that you may have to encounter often. Especially if you live in a region where you experience heavy snow. Am I wrong?

My fiancé and I have 2 vehicles. An AWD Nissan Rogue and a new Honda civic. Which would be more ideal for uphill/mountainous driving? Thank you....

Old 12-30-2014, 02:00 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Yes, but a non-hybrid isn't storing the energy.
It is if you don't brake...

Old 12-30-2014, 03:17 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,652,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
And the Vermonters manage their Priuses on snowy dirt roads. Or have you seen issues?
Just the other day we had to drive through the Appalachian Gap, a challenging climb, and then through a pretty slick dirt road through the mountains, one of those roads where you wonder if you'll slide off into the ditch, and we made it fine.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:03 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Quote:
Never said it was THE ideal car for mountainous driving. Just stated that it isn't AN ideal car for mountainous driving. It lacks the power to comfortably deal with steep inclines and lacks the traction to deal with snowy conditions on these inclines.

I'm not hating on the Prius. Just stating facts. Many cars aren't ideal for mountainous driving.
I stand on my comments about the Prius. And about mountain driving? I've been doing it for over FOUR DECADES--in everything from 2WD cars, 4WD's, trucks, and towing trailers--likely over roads that would scare the hell out of most flatlanders. So, when I say that a Prius does pretty darned well in the mountains, take it to the bank. Think about this one--a 210 mile drive that I make relatively often in my Prius never drops below 5,000 ft. elevation, goes over 10,000 ft. multiple times, and has an absolute elevation change along the way (converting all up and down elevation changes along the route to all to positive numbers) of right at 18,000 ft. That is one hell of a lot of up and downhill driving, and the Prius handles it just fine--getting 48-50 mpg consistently. Sure, one can buy a vehicle that might accelerate somewhat faster--at half the fuel economy or less. In winter driving conditions, the Prius will do as well as most any other FWD car. To better it, you're looking at a higher ground clearance AWD or 4WD.

People can listen to posters who don't own a Prius, or they can listen to a person who owns one, AND drives it under the very conditions on a regular basis that the OP inquired about . . .

Old 12-30-2014, 04:41 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times
I guess some of us are just curious, Prius owners. I got my fill of underpowered cars in the 70s and 80s. I am curious how the Prius would do going over the grapevine on I-5 or going west on I 70 out of Denver? Head for the right lane next to the truck lane?

I am seriously considering the Lexus hybrid ES .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion