Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 01:46 PM

479 posts, read 2,223,265 times

Advertisements

Never had any problems with our 05.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 08:25 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
The comments here made me more comfortable with the idea of a Prius.

Today I took the Prius for a test up the only big hill near the dealership, and it did fine with three adults in it. Then I took the Prius C, just by myself, and the best it could do was 26 mph with my foot on the floor. Visibility was also a problem with the C. Rear visibility is better with the C than the liftback, but front-sides is worse - at least for someone my height.

Although the Prius passed the hill test, it was too un-carlike for me. It would be hard for me to get used the unusual sounds.

I really wanted to like the Prius, but I'm getting an Impreza.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:58 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
...Although the Prius passed the hill test, it was too un-carlike for me. It would be hard for me to get used the unusual sounds....
There's a name for that unusual sound. I traded my diesel pickup for a Prius last month and noticed that strange sound right away. It's called "quiet." I've gotten used to it.

You've already picked something else, but for others... I drive my Prius at 80 mph regularly, not much "in" the mountains, but certainly in the foothills, up and down some pretty fair grades. The only thing I notice is that it sounds like a jet engine winding up when climbing steep hills. I haven't yet been in the mountains with it, but I've got no doubt it'll hurl itself up a mountainside faster than I want to drive the curves. I don't like that whiny engine/transmission, but if I keep the radio turned up high enough I don't notice it.

Funny (embarrassing) story about my Prius today. I left home in the dark this morning for a long day on the road. It had finally warmed up to about -2F when I went out to start the car for a quick warm-up/defrost. I started it by sticking my foot in far enough to reach the brake petal and arm in far enough to reach the start button. It started right off and I took note of the outside temp shown on the dash.

Then, when I went back out 5 minutes later to leave, I had no dash lights! It was dark and erie -- no speedometer, no nothing. I drove like that for 70 miles wondering what was wrong. I figured a breaker or fuse had popped, but at about that time it was starting to get light so I started messing with buttons. I "discovered" that if I turned the headlights off, the panel lights came on. Then, another 30 miles and the dash lights were on whether the headlights were on or off. Another 30 miles and the dash was nearly blank again.

I stopped at the dealership where I bought the car and said I needed someone to look at it, then described the problem. The shop facilitator said he just needed to go out and get the mileage to get it scheduled. I told him it was going to be hard to read. Sure enough, he could barely make it out... so he reached over and turned up the dimmer switch.

Geeeeeeeeze.........

As for traction, it does pretty well. I drive all over NE Wyoming, and the only problems I've had have been in "deep" snow. With my F250 4x$, deep snow meant more than a foot deep. In the Prius it's more than 4 inches deep! I really need a 4x4/AWD for my driving, but I was so tired of the 16-17 mpg of my truck that I wanted the most fuel efficient car I could get, and that pretty much ruled out 4x4s and AWDs. I'd planned to keep the old truck for snow days (and personal use), but at 153K miles, maintenance costs were sky-rocketing.

Last edited by WyoNewk; 12-31-2014 at 11:07 PM..

Old 01-01-2015, 03:50 PM

996 posts, read 1,235,199 times
Since you're looking at Subarus, have you looked at that Crosstrek hybrid? It is essentially the Prius system in a Subaru (Toyota owns some percentage of Subaru). I have a brother-in-law who has one and likes it (the rear luggage area is not that big I.M.O.). He got rid of his Prius because it sucked in the snow (Cleveland area, so no altitude issues but some snow and hill issues). Of course 4 real snow tires make a huge difference on any car

It still would be a dog on highways at altitude and on real mountain roads, but it would probably do a little bit better for your light hiking.

normally aspirated engines lose about 3.5% of horsepower for every 1,000 feet of altitude gain. So if you're living at 10,000 feet you're working with 65% of your horsepower. Turbocharged and supercharged engines have a much greater advantage in high altitude environments.

My niece is in Colorado, and when she moved to Aspen full time I got her a Sub Forster XT & a set of snows and steel wheels for winter. She had a 2004 Prius, which was really unsuitable for the amount of snow and the altitude. She probably spends twice as much now for gas ($2,000 vs $1,000 per year ??) but the Forester is a much better fit for the environment in which she now lives.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:33 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
I just drove my Prius (the regular hatchback model, 2012) to and from MA today. There are long hills on the Mass pike. I don't even want to admit how fast I was speeding up them, in the lefthand lane, with four people in the car. Admittedly, it's not like driving up a canyon, but I lived in an area where I drove up steep canyons in a 2WD relatively low horsepower car in snow, and never felt the lack of horsepower was an issue.

I've had no problem with it in snow, either. Drives like any other front wheel drive car. If you really need 4WD to get around in snow emergencies, then don't get a prius or any other 2WD car. But if you're considering other 2WD cars, I wouldn't rule out a prius. It's fine on hills.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
Since you're looking at Subarus, have you looked at that Crosstrek hybrid? . . . .
normally aspirated engines lose about 3.5% of horsepower for every 1,000 feet of altitude gain. So if you're living at 10,000 feet you're working with 65% of your horsepower. Turbocharged and supercharged engines have a much greater advantage in high altitude environments.
I like the Crosstrek and didn't realize there was a hybrid. Unfortunately, DH is disabled and can't get in and out of a high car. (He ruled out the Crosstrek.)

I did not know that about the hp and altitude. Most of my driving is only at very low altitudes, until we drive into the mountains for a hike.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
I just drove my Prius (the regular hatchback model, 2012) to and from MA today. There are long hills on the Mass pike. I don't even want to admit how fast I was speeding up them, in the lefthand lane, with four people in the car. Admittedly, it's not like driving up a canyon, but I lived in an area where I drove up steep canyons in a 2WD relatively low horsepower car in snow, and never felt the lack of horsepower was an issue.

I've had no problem with it in snow, either. Drives like any other front wheel drive car. If you really need 4WD to get around in snow emergencies, then don't get a prius or any other 2WD car. But if you're considering other 2WD cars, I wouldn't rule out a prius. It's fine on hills.
After reassurance from Prius owners (here and elsewhere), I took the on a second test drive. It passed my test-drive hill test with three adults in the car. The warranty is good, the company is good, DH liked riding in it, it has a lot of space in the back; but in the end, I just didn't like how it felt or sounded.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:52 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,566,714 times
Bringing this thread back to life. Just took one on a test drive last weekend. A 2010 model. Looking at models from 2010 to 2014, and I like what I see. It's different from the bMW 3 series I've been driving, though, and I was worried about the get-up-and-go. I don't have as much concern about that now. And it's a car, used anyway, that is sooooo much better for our household budget with a new driver coming on line in about 2 months. This would be my commuter car, and she's so embarrased by it. But frankly, she's not making the payment. I"m GIVING her a paid-for 10 year old BMW that looks new.

I'd rather have a pickup truck like every other good old boy in Birmingham, but it's just not practical. I'm a practical person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion