Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 01:22 PM

364 posts, read 1,978,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Yeah I did some intake and exhaust work on a pickup, it leaned it out to much and lost power, I dded a chip to richen it but I never saw any differance, My current truck is stock and It will stay that way.
Glad you figured it out. There are lots of aftermarket products that don't do anything at all. Seems like you went through that experience.

Oil/air filters just do what they do. They do not last forever and they do not add any horsepower to the engine. As stated above, unless you are are have a high end performance rig, stick to OE parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 01:52 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,863,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJones View Post
With all respect, with 20 years of experience in the business you should know better than that. The information you provided above is misleading. Plain and simple, your claims are innacurate. The ONLY way to increase airflow is by forced induction, installing a supercharger and/or turbo. I am sorry, but no air filter has the capacity to increase horse power on its own. I am wondering how many thousands of people have bought those K&N filters believing a miracle would happen to rigs

There are ONLY two things that can be proven about K&N intakes and air filters:

1. Yes, they are washable. You save $$$$ by not having to buy new filters.
2. They look cool and add a very nice detail to the engine bay.

I guess you missed my point. I already said that I have friends who have taken their race rigs to a dyno (one RX-7 and two mustangs) after installing their K&N filters and they found that the claims from K&N are not true. They DID NOT gain the horse power K&N claims.

a drop in filter may not add many or any hp, but there are plenty CAI kits that have been dyno proven. some of course are more "proven" than others shall we say; for every one that actually works there's 10 on the market that do nothing. for instance i recall reading a magazine test a few years back which dyno tested, back to back, several CAI's and short ram's on an RSX-S. on the same dyno, same day the peak hp increase ranged from 6 to 20 at the wheels making the best performer adding better than 10% horsepower

and if you really want to nitpick there's plenty of ways to increase airflow without forced induction. port/polish, valve job, ECU reprogramming, etc etc. if you think there's no way to increase power short of FI then you're either a fool or have been putting the wrong parts on the wrong cars.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
...if you really want to nitpick there's plenty of ways to increase airflow without forced induction. port/polish, valve job, ECU reprogramming, etc etc. if you think there's no way to increase power short of FI then you're either a fool or have been putting the wrong parts on the wrong cars.
Of course, and I agree with you. There are many ways to increase power. I was just pointing out that oil/air filters don't have the capacity to do that.

You can do porting, valve jobs and get whatever computer chips for your ECU. Still, you should know that a supercharger and/or turbo will expand the lungs of your rig out of the box and fairly close to what the manufacturer claims.

Any other internal modification to the engine is a completely different subject.

And since you got off subject....for normal street driving, people should stick to OE filters.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:31 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,863,771 times
well i can agree on that OEM oil filters for the win

Old 01-11-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
well i can agree on that OEM oil filters for the win

By the way, my friend had some serious porting done in his rotary engine. I had no idea you could play with those engines that much. Unfortunately, they are high maintenance engines. But i tell you, it is amazing how much power he could get out of that little engine with some porting.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:41 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,918,943 times
Does anyone remember the Frantz toilet tissue 2 ply oil filter of the late 50's ? You would only have to remove the old roll and install a new roll plus a qt of oil and your engine would be honey colored clean. My dad had a repair shop and a salesman came by and sold my dad a unit adapter for his cadillac. He turned me on to it and it worked beautiful on my 54 Cpe de Ville for over 3-1/2 yrs. I never drained the crankcase or pulled the drain plug all that time. I let it go with the car on trade in for another Cad. but could never find another replacement unit on the mkt. Saw a used unit at Pomona Antique Swap meet one time. My policy was to change the tissue each 1000 miles. Anyone remember this filter? Any comments regarding same item? Steve

Old 01-11-2008, 05:44 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,621,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Does anyone remember the Frantz toilet tissue 2 ply oil filter of the late 50's ? You would only have to remove the old roll and install a new roll plus a qt of oil and your engine would be honey colored clean. My dad had a repair shop and a salesman came by and sold my dad a unit adapter for his cadillac. He turned me on to it and it worked beautiful on my 54 Cpe de Ville for over 3-1/2 yrs. I never drained the crankcase or pulled the drain plug all that time. I let it go with the car on trade in for another Cad. but could never find another replacement unit on the mkt. Saw a used unit at Pomona Antique Swap meet one time. My policy was to change the tissue each 1000 miles. Anyone remember this filter? Any comments regarding same item? Steve
Go to Frantz Filters Manufactured by We Filter It! Inc - Oil, Diesel and Gas Filters (http://www.wefilterit.com/index.htm - broken link). I do remember hearing about them in the sixties, but don't think I ever saw one on a car. They make some pretty strong statements about their product. I have used remote filters in the past but it's still a spin on media type.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:34 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,918,943 times
In the 50's Cadillac had a oil filter housing up high away from the engine. You had to unscrew the cover to remove the regular filter. Frantz had a canister that you forced the tissue into and placed it inside the regular original housing and replaced the cover. It was a real easy process. I believe that they never had enough models to fit various cars at that time. It was expensive at the time but very cheap over the long haul. Steve

Old 01-12-2008, 05:00 AM

wao, i wasn't around in the 50's

Old 01-12-2008, 09:26 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,355,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
In the 50's Cadillac had a oil filter housing up high away from the engine. You had to unscrew the cover to remove the regular filter. Frantz had a canister that you forced the tissue into and placed it inside the regular original housing and replaced the cover. It was a real easy process. I believe that they never had enough models to fit various cars at that time. It was expensive at the time but very cheap over the long haul. Steve
I can understand why a product like this is not longer available. Many cars from the 50s had huge engine compartments with lots of open space around the engine, along the inside of the fenders and the firewall. You could almost stand between the side of the engine and the fenders! Today of course, things have changed. The typical engine compartment is so tightly packed, it is hard to reach a hand or arm anywhere around the compartment and every square inch of the firewall and fender area is blocked by something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive