Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 10:39 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

If you are going to base safety on an odd accident like this one, then I am not sure what to say. The first line of defense is driving style and the second line of defense is the ability of a car to avoid the accident. There are some accidents that are going to favor some huge vehicle, but most would be in favor of a well equipped good handling car because you can avoid instead of plow. In the case you are describing, you are probably best served if you are in a semi truck, but shouldn't you take into consideration the countless other ways people die on highways when looking at safety? Oddly, Americans only look at head on collisions for the most part and they NEVER look at the ability of a car to avoid them, they only look at impacts. Why? Follow the money. SUVs have HUGE profit margins and Americans fall for it hook line and sinker.

Enjoy!

Old 02-09-2015, 11:06 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Very tragic that someone died in this accident. It involved Jenner's Cadillac Escalade rear ending what looks like a white Lexus LS (the biggest model car they make), which caused it to veer into the path of a Hummer. The Hummer sustained severe front end damage, but the driver survived. The Lexus driver was killed on impact apparently. The Lexus vehicles are very reliable (I know because I've owned one for 12 years now). What concerns me though, is the safety of these vehicles in collisions such as this one. Are Lexus vehicles safe? That's the question. I doubt that such a collision with a BMW 7-series would've killed the driver. Your thoughts?
My thoughts are you should read up on physics. Anything heavier than your car, "wins" usually. Take that same Hummer and let it slam headfirst into a Semi-Trailer full of goods....same result. I'll take the driver of the semi for $200.....

It's all calculated on RISK. Driving a Corolla is marginally less safe than a Lexus LS460 L as neither runs a high-risk of a huge deadly accident. However, for that very small margin if they DO get in an accident, the guy in the Lexus stands a much better chance of survival (GENERALLY speaking) than the guy in the Corolla, 9 times out of 10??? Offset frontals, rear-ends, glancing, etc nothwithstanding.....that and pretty much anything else some rube is going to offer to counter this.....

Play the odds...the insurance companies do. And they know quite a lot about actuarial tables. In fact, THE number one reason one car's liability rates fluctuate is due to WHAT they are driving and how HEAVY that vehicle is....pickups liability is much higher as they tend to weigh in at a svelte 4,500-5,500 lbs versus the Kate Moss numbers of a GM Sonic?

People buy lighter cars more for mileage and cheaper TCOS than anything...basic transportation...etc.....you just want to be darn sure that when you do drive the soda can, you are VERY careful as getting into accidents will teach you what a go-kart you are really driving when the thing comes apart in the first few seconds...(good thing we found religion on those seatbelts and airbags, huh?)

That, and perhaps when the lights go out, permanently. Drive safely.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:42 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritasveritas View Post
Doesnt matter what brand of car. No car is safe.
Under some circumstances, it doesn't matter what kind of car one is driving. As far as I'm concerned, the skill of the driver and the care he/she takes trumps the safety factors of the vehicle in the long run.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:59 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
In terms of severe accidents....

Large, heavy suv's are really only "safer" in direct impact accidents where their mass gives them an advantage.

Otherwise, when you start talking about accidents with more lateral components like having a tire blow out at 75mph or losing control on a turn or getting spun at speed......you are going to cartwheel like an olympic gymnast due to the higher center of gravity.

My personal opinion is that often larger SUV and truck drivers tend to overestimate the abilities of their vehicles (talking the more casual drivers of the vehicles like the soccer-mom SUVs etc.)....as every time I drive out in icy\snowy weather the vast vast majority of vehicles off the road in the ditch are those. Yes, I know those are the most popular vehicles, it just seems disproportionate even to that plus the guys racing by on icey roads are typically driving that type of vehicle. Once in a while I catch up to them as they sit in the median spun out or upside down etc.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:40 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
If the coverage of this case continues, I expect that the authorities will eventually reveal whether the woman was using her seatbelt--or not.
Are you talking about the woman in the Lexus or the woman in the Escalade?

Old 02-09-2015, 02:23 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
It's tragic to hear about the fatality- of both the woman, and a gorgeous LS.

... but at least we know Bruce Jenner's sex change has been a great success.
A woman for only a few weeks and already he/she can't drive!

Old 02-09-2015, 02:48 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post

Zing!!!

The only thing remaining is for him to be asian

Old 02-09-2015, 03:18 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,831,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post

That's pretty funny

Old 02-09-2015, 03:43 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
My neighbor was the middle car in a chain-reaction rear ender with five cars,
Every week those happen in my area. Yet, everyone continues to tailgate each other. People are really stupid sometimes.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:07 PM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Lots of things come into play. Speed of the Hummer. Was it a head on crash or an offset crash? That makes a big difference. Seatbelts make a difference.
You could just Youtube crash tests on the make and year of any particular car to get an idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion