Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 09:30 PM

144 posts, read 405,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
To to your progressive online account and replace your current vehicle with the new vehicle you want. This will give you a quote of what it will really cost you. You don't have submit the changes but the quote is actually based on your record.
I did. I says that the insurance for 2015 Mustang will start at $84/month, and I can already pay for it if I have a VIN ready

I've been driving for only 7+ years, I have completely clean history: 0 violations, accidents and 0 tickets to my name. I also drive right now about 30 miles a week these days, oftentimes even less, mostly because my work is right next to me, I love to bike and walk a lot, and I'm usually busy with my side work and get out only once a week, if at all. I wonder if the low mileage is what's affecting this too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 03:53 AM

6,749 posts, read 5,438,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldon View Post
I did. I says that the insurance for 2015 Mustang will start at $84/month, and I can already pay for it if I have a VIN ready

I've been driving for only 7+ years, I have completely clean history: 0 violations, accidents and 0 tickets to my name. I also drive right now about 30 miles a week these days, oftentimes even less, mostly because my work is right next to me, I love to bike and walk a lot, and I'm usually busy with my side work and get out only once a week, if at all. I wonder if the low mileage is what's affecting this too?
Ok here{in bold red} is the meaningfull info you have to check...STARTING AT $84/m...that may be for a 48 year old married female clean record driver with safe driver certificate.

Second you have to have the VIN number also to get accruate quote!

Thrid, If you haven't, GO TAKE the Safe Driver course, you can take the AARP course even if not over 50, even if not a member of AARP, and even if never taken the course before, all for 6 hours of your time and about $18 bucks. IT will automatcially SAVE you about 10% on your insurance per year, and is good for 3 years. Then you retake the course. GEt your certificate and always maintain it. You can take it from a driving school or other organizations {banks, schools, insurance compamies, etc.} who run the classes as a special. It may cost you more than the $18 depending on where you live, and who you take it with. Well worth your time save 10% at least and if you ever get points, it will reduce your points.

Insurance for younger drivers, especially with sports cars, is notoriously HIGH in cost! THAT is why no one believes you will get it for $84/m!

I live in a quiet country area, have a paid for '14 elantra and a paid for '06 Kia Sedona minivan, {both are highly insured, granted}, and I pay about $100/m and we are safe drivers certified with certificates and in our 50s with 35+ years of clean driving experience! BUT, WHen I got my first brand new pickup truck and put it on the road when I was very young, my insurance payment for the minimum insurance per month was as high as the truck monthly payment {and I put 24% down}!! AND I would strongly recommend getting more insurance than just the minimum!

Get a valid VIN, and Have an AGENT check it for you to really get an accurate quote BEFORE buying the car! {BUT I thought you said you weren't going to?}

Old 02-13-2015, 06:18 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,876,492 times
If you are replacing a vehicle on your current polity with a new proposed vehicle, there is no "starting at". There are a lot of stuff you need to fill in (for example, if you currently have liability only and add a new car where you state it's finance, you will need to add comprehensive, decide on the deductible, etc..

I have a feeling that you currently don't have insurance and is just using a generic online quote

Old 02-13-2015, 07:45 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,806,684 times
For reference, we're in NY so it's supposedly more expensive insurance. We're over 25, have 1 moving violation on record, and for each month, each car, comprehensive with glass, we pay $72. These are nearly new cars. You're even more. Your $84 may be a valid quote, but still expensive.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
For reference, we're in NY so it's supposedly more expensive insurance. We're over 25, have 1 moving violation on record, and for each month, each car, comprehensive with glass, we pay $72. These are nearly new cars. You're even more. Your $84 may be a valid quote, but still expensive.
That's not bad at all for one car. My policy is over $4K a year before all the discounts. But that's with 3 cars and 2 drivers. When my son is old enough to drive, I can almost guarantee that it will add another $1500+ a year for a new driver.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:35 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,073,410 times
Quote:
Hey guys,
I'm Clueless here...
That much is clear.

Welcome to a lifetime of poverty. The choice to spend your money on replacing an already relatively new vehicle with a newer sportier vehicle is arguably the second worst personal finance decision you could make. The only worse one would be choosing to experiment with heroin and meth.

It doesn't matter how much car you can afford, if you make this decision, you will either regret it for the rest of your life or be too lacking in education to know that it is one of the reasons you will be trapped in poverty. Trying to look rich before becoming rich is the trap that eliminates millions from ever reaching the middle class.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post

It doesn't matter how much car you can afford, if you make this decision, you will either regret it for the rest of your life or be too lacking in education to know that it is one of the reasons you will be trapped in poverty. Trying to look rich before becoming rich is the trap that eliminates millions from ever reaching the middle class.
OP is at a point of life where decisions like these could be big life changer. Some do it anyway and use it as learning mistakes. There are those who can or have the ability to get out of it down the road AND there are many that will set them back and could never get out of.

I can definitely feel where OP is coming from. Lots of people have been there done that. I can only say I travel that path OP is looking to go down to. Looking back, was it a mistake.. heck yeah but we are where we are based on the path we travel. For me, it was a mistake but I am left with a part of my life that can never be replaced.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:46 AM

15,708 posts, read 20,239,147 times
Quote:

I've owned Mustangs from age 16 thru mid 20's, and bought my first brand new mustang at age 21...

at no point in that time frame was my insurance less than $200/month. I think when i bought my new Mustang it was around $250-280/month. That was zero tickets and zero accidents driving V8 Mustangs. (i was actually a responsible driver) Even now, at age 34, i own an older Mustang which i insure under collector car insurance. When i briefly insured it with a normal insurance company, it was still $180ish/month with a clean, spotfree record at 30+ years old

$84/month sounds extremely low for a performance Mustang

Old 02-13-2015, 10:13 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,593,882 times
New cars will mess up your life. If your current car is in good condition drive it until the wheels fall off, get another cheap car and your life will be better. You don't make enough money to give it away on a car, give it to yourself, save and invest.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:15 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,813,104 times
Buy a car you can afford with cash. No loan is really the best way to be honest. It is what you can actually afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive