Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 11:17 AM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThingsLikeThat View Post
I have road rage, and bad driving is something that I'm trying not to allow bother me so much. How do you keep yourself from getting pissed off when someone cuts you off or when someone is tailgating you?
I currently live in an area where there are not a lot of stupid drivers mostly because the population density is low. I usually drive about five miles an hour over the limit. When I encounter someone who is driving under the speed limit, I am patient. The only time that I perceive a threat from a slow driver is when there is a pickup tailgating me. My solution to that is to pull over and let the pickup truck tailgate the slow mover. I also drive in the right lane on the parkway and drive about five over. This solves two problems. The first is that the cops leave you alone. The second is that at five over the limit you are not an obstacle.

In conclusion, I believe that road rage stems from a perceived threat to ones safety by the poor driving habits of others. I hope that these suggestions help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 12:18 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,426,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Easy,
think that the guy pissing you off might be on his way to k:ll somebody = Just let him go
So technically we'd be doing society a favor by offing them

Old 02-15-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I'm just trying not to wreck. Just trying to get where I'm going safely and in one piece...even if that means arriving 2 minutes later than I would have by driving aggressively / road ragey. It's just not worth it at all. If someone tailgates, I move over so they don't rearend me if something happens in front of me. I don't let it **** me off because I know mr. tailgater is just some ahole I don't know who doesn't understand that it doesn't matter. I feel sorry for them...and I move over. It's so not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. People get killed over this nonsense. Life is short. The universe is 13.5 BILLION years old and we only get 80 years of it....not even a quark of an atom of a water molecule in the bucket. I'm not going to let it cut short because of nonsense. Life is too short to get so angry over stuff that won't matter 10 seconds later when the tailgater / cut offer is 10 seconds down the road. It's just not that serious.
What happens if they do run into you?...We must be vigilant and prepare for a potential careless driving lawsuit

Old 02-15-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post

A guy gets stabbed to death for cutting someone off, and that's your reply. Hopefully, for your sake, the guy YOU cut off more aggressively in your quest to prove what a man you are, isn't a bigger rage-aholic than you are, cause, you know, you might get stabbed, or shot, and....you know....you'll die.
The only people who get stabbed are the ones who stop and actually get out of their vehicles...bad move.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
It's simply not worth getting upset over when someone does something on the road like cut in front of you, or otherwise drives poorly.

I have been driving almost 30 years and I have done a few things that could have caused a serious accident and just got lucky that other drivers happened to be paying attention. I've accidentally moved into a lane without looking (surprise! a car was there), ran a red light I didn't notice (oops, car coming on the side street!) and probably a couple of other things I don't remember doing. I've probably driven too close to someone's bumper for their liking a few times...and so on. I do try to be a courteous driver and definitely don't go out of my way to tailgate, weave through traffic, wait until the last minute to merge, or other obnoxious behavior. The times that I have done stupid things in a car where when I was distracted/tired, etc. It happens to the best of drivers.

I have had people nearly hit me from behind, cut in front me so close I have had to slam on the brakes, run me off the road, and so on over the years. They did not mean to do it and were probably just distracted by thoughts or maybe were in a hurry to get to work or had something else important to do. I was surprised when these happened of course, but didn't get angry. What was the point? It was already done, and nobody was hurt/no damage to the cars and no accident to deal with. I would mostly be worried that they would be okay and hope they would drive more carefully so they wouldn't end up in an accident.
That's maybe ok if you usually give people the benefit of the doubt,but when it happens multiple times on a daily basis then maybe something might be wrong with the drivers in that area;

Old 02-15-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Yep. I rode with someone like that too. He would drive crazy, speeding extremely fast, weaving in and out of traffic, banging the steering wheel, yelling and flipping other drivers off, and terrifying me. I told him how much he frightened me and he wouldn't do anything about it. We live in Houston, TX, which already has a great deal of road construction and aggressive drivers, so terrible accidents with fatalities happen every single day. Sometimes I even got out of the car I was so scared. Then I tried not saying anything, and that didn't help either. So my solution was to divorce him, and now I have no fear on the road
Being a good spouse,did you suggest they seek some sort of anger management? If they had been in denial then that's a different story...

Old 02-15-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
People not using their turn signal is probably my biggest pet peeve on the road. It's like, dude how big of a lazy prick do you have to be to not want to flick your wrist and flip the stalk to indicate to people which direction you intend to go? That way, when you're slamming on your brakes I know you're intending to make a right turn and that's why you're slowing down, or when you come barreling over into my lane I don't have to suddenly slam on my brakes in order to avoid hitting you. It's not like people can read your mind.
My way of giving them the benefit of the doubt is maybe they weren't sure of what turn to take...I do that sometimes,especially when my GPS won't make up it's mind,and I feel like an idiot because of it...

Old 02-15-2015, 12:55 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Imagine them playing with themselves --- which many are. Especially those driving with one hand.

Just be sure to keep a safe distance if you notice their eyelids fluttering.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:35 PM

671 posts, read 900,188 times
Quote:
I have road rage, and bad driving is something that I'm trying not to allow bother me so much. How do you keep yourself from getting pissed off when someone cuts you off or when someone is tailgating you?
Just beep your horn to embarrass them and call it a day. There's worse things in the world than being cut off like cancer, murder, and the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:21 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutout View Post
Just beep your horn to embarrass them and call it a day. There's worse things in the world than being cut off like cancer, murder, and the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Bring back Borje Salming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive