Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 04:12 AM

792 posts, read 2,874,250 times

Advertisements

Poor, OP...you've lost the peace of mind that comes from driving a reliable POS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 05:08 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
I have a high end BMW. I drive and park it everywhere I used to take my earlier cars. I have found that no one really bothers the car any more than they did the Pinto, RX-7s, Jeep or Rodeo. I don't think most people care, especially if you don't drive and park like a jerk.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 02-14-2015 at 05:55 AM..

Old 02-14-2015, 05:31 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
Mercedes Benz didn't even make the top 10 list according to NBC News.

Thieves' Favorite: Hondas Are The Most Stolen Cars in America - NBC News

Or from the National Insurance Crime Bureau The Most-Stolen New And Used Cars In America - Forbes
I didn't even need to read the list, but you are right, George. As a woman who has lived in Houston, TX way too long, and has been a kid growing up in poverty and driving older used cars as an adult (more from frugality than poverty now), many people automatically assume thieves steal nice cars, but they don't. My mothers 1980 Buick Regal was stolen THREE times in 1990, my gf's 1972 Caprice Classic was stolen in 2005, and thieves attempted to steal my ex's 1994 Chevy S-10 pickup in 2010, but they failed, because they were even more moronic than I imagined (it didn't even have an alarm). Car thieves steal older cars because there are a lot more of them on the road, they are easier and faster to jack, and because they are easier to part out and more demand for the parts.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:27 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,176,333 times
I used to frequent the local thrift stores while driving my Volvo, another upscale brand, and occasionally someone would give me some attitude about it, like why are you shopping here driving a car like that? I would tell them I can drive a car like that because I shop here. That would perplex them or amuse them, depending on how much they resented my relative success.

Wasilla, AK, was bad for nice cars. The locals at Wally World would key you at the drop of a flea bitten fur hat. Our 380SL still wears a scar from the parking lot where someone grazed it and didn't care. But don't let the bastards get you down, it's no fun living life at their level.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:26 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,526 times
I didn't read the OPOs question as one regarding theft of the car. It was about making him a victim of other crimes, because of his car.

I too own a MB and I know the answer is yes. Even though a MB costs less than some large pickups, and no more than some Audi's, BMW's or Jags, people still perceive the MB name as a rich persons car. One of the most common things I see is that when I drive the MB, very few people will let me merge. When i drive one of my other cars, I have no problem finding nice drivers who will "wave" me in. Its so clear its funny. In less safe parts of town i always maintain a high situational awareness and don't allow myself to be blocked in whenever possible. I leave room to get out if I need to.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:14 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,176,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
I didn't read the OPOs question as one regarding theft of the car. It was about making him a victim of other crimes, because of his car.

I too own a MB and I know the answer is yes. Even though a MB costs less than some large pickups, and no more than some Audi's, BMW's or Jags, people still perceive the MB name as a rich persons car. .
There was a Ford pickup at the auto show for 77K. The Audi Q5 TDI S-Line my dear bride took a shine to was $55K. And my experience has been that insuring pickups is twice the expense of a Mercedes.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:18 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistas View Post
I know it's a bit of a silly question and it depends on many things like the crime rate in the area you parked in, etc. But in general if you drive a well-recognized luxury - are you seen as more of a mark for theft/robbery/etc?

Why would you purchase a vehicle that you feel will make you a target of robbery?
Get a vehicle that is lower cost and plain and you will not have to worry with such things.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:38 PM

861 posts, read 1,336,181 times
Get a rearview dash cam that clips to the rearview mirror with motion detection. It will record anyone walking by for identification if they vandalize your car.

But I wouldn't worry about it, thieves are more interested in Hondas.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:07 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,450,187 times
No one will still your Benz, since no one wants monthly repair bills. Electronic/electrical breakage alone will set you back a few grand over the course of ownership. Enjoy!

Old 02-14-2015, 04:55 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistas View Post
I know it's a bit of a silly question and it depends on many things like the crime rate in the area you parked in, etc. But in general if you drive a well-recognized luxury - are you seen as more of a mark for theft/robbery/etc?
Mercedes are so common place these days I don't think it's much of an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart